Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
IMG_2453.jpeg

When and where: Saturday March 23rd 10.45am (AWST) Marvel stadium

The Roos coming off a tough loss to the Giants will be throwing all they have at the Dockers. Hopefully they won’t be bouncing around out there like they own the place and we can keep them in check with a few jabs. Freo are going to have to re structure after a solid win against the lions after injuries to worner,cox and McDonald.

1710651525130.gif

If the dockers are to make up some ground this year and improve this is simply a must win game. Especially if finals are to be the aim for the year.

Keys to the game:

Harry Sheezel: The kid is a ball magnet and we need to put enough pressure on him to nullify his impact.

Jackson: Should be the main man in the ruck and with his athleticism and mobility should get the job done over Xerri.

Davies-Uniacke: The main man of the Roos midfield. Can’t be treated lightly. Has the ability to get leather positioning. A solid tag maybe an idea.

Nick Larkey: This guy can win the game off his own boot. Fremantle has had a problem with key tall forwards and after slotting through 3 goals against gws we need to make sure we pick the right man for the job to oppose this bloke.

Andrew Brayshaw: The heart of the team in the guts. If he is kept quiet we might be in trouble.

Alex Pearce: Simply must keep larkey his likely match up to a minimum on the scoreboard.

Jye Amiss: Needs to keep the goals ticking over to help the team get over the line.

Caleb Serong: ditto brayshaw the heart of the midddle. Needs to get involved to give the team a fighting chance

IMG_2455.jpeg

Possible Lineups

Have your say on how both teams should structure up.

May the best team win

Attachments

• IMG_2454.jpeg
    IMG_2454.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 192

Out: Worner, Cox, McDonald
In: Walker, Voss, JOM/Erasmus
Cooper Simpson into the 24

Walker Pearce Clark
Young Ryan Aish
Johnson Fyfe Sharp
Switta Treacy Frederick
Walters Amiss Emmett
Jackson Brayshaw Serong
Hughes Banfield Erasmus Voss JOM Simpson

Walker is probably the obvious in. Shame for Worner as he was looking like he's come a long way.

What to do with the other two spots is less obvious unfortunately. Probably looking at:
  • Draper vs Davies
  • Voss vs Taberner

Think that Jackson and Treacy worked a little too well. Short of a miracle Darcy return I can't see us changing it. Reidy might be an option though.

Out: Worner, Cox and McDonald

In: Walker, Taberner and Draper

FB: Ryan Pearce Walker
HB: Clark Draper Hughes
C: Sharp Young Brayshaw
HF: Switta Taberner Frederick
FF: Walters Amiss Treacy

R: Jackson Johnson Serong

I: Fyfe Hughes Banfield Emmett

Should be able to maintain the structure we trained all preseason against a side like North.

In the ideal world I'd be looking at moving Hughes and Banfield out of the side this week, but that would be a bit harsh given the circumstances.

Out: Worner, Cox and McDonald

In: Walker, Taberner and Draper

FB: Ryan Pearce Walker
HB: Clark Draper Hughes
C: Sharp Young Brayshaw
HF: Switta Taberner Frederick
FF: Walters Amiss Treacy

R: Jackson Johnson Serong

I: Fyfe Hughes Banfield Emmett

Should be able to maintain the structure we trained all preseason against a side like North.

In the ideal world I'd be looking at moving Hughes and Banfield out of the side this week, but that would be a bit harsh given the circumstances.
Against North, can get away with that.

Out: Worner, OMac, Cox
In: Walker, Draper (?), Reid

Reid to ruck, move Jackson back forward to replace Cox.

Walker straight swap for Worner

Draper, said with no confidence to replace OMac.

After the preseason games, I don't want to see Tabs play unless he is destroying the WAFL.

Walker is probably the obvious in. Shame for Worner as he was looking like he's come a long way.

What to do with the other two spots is less obvious unfortunately. Probably looking at:
  • Draper vs Davies
  • Voss vs Taberner

Think that Jackson and Treacy worked a little too well. Short of a miracle Darcy return I can't see us changing it. Reidy might be an option though.

Voss over Taberner for mine - I just think you have to back in the form player and Taberner needs a run at it in the WAFL and build up some goals.

The McDonald replacement is more difficult; I expect that they will play Hughes or Ryan as the second tall defender for a while, so what we are looking for is a third tall that can offer both height defense and some offense as well. Despite being younger, I would throw Murphy into that mix; Draper is the best offensive player and Davies the best defensively, Murphy though strikes a balance and he also plays tall and would probably still be useful against a tall third tall like a resting ruckman. The other option is just to ignore a third tall defender entirely and bring another midfielder (JOM or Erasmus) in....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss over Taberner for mine - I just think you have to back in the form player and Taberner needs a run at it in the WAFL and build up some goals.

The McDonald replacement is more difficult; I expect that they will play Hughes or Ryan as the second tall defender for a while, so what we are looking for is a third tall that can offer both height defense and some offense as well. Despite being younger, I would throw Murphy into that mix; Draper is the best offensive player and Davies the best defensively, Murphy though strikes a balance and he also plays tall and would probably still be useful against a tall third tall like a resting ruckman. The other option is just to ignore a third tall defender entirely and bring another midfielder (JOM or Erasmus) in....

I would’ve thrown Murphys name in but he was literally on the injury list a week ago.

I really think keeping Young in the mids is of the utmost importance. With Cox and Mcdonald injured, our backup Key defensive stocks feature Davies, Draper and Murphy. I'd be tempted to give Draper a crack, due to his superior ball use, but Davies might be able to take a 3rd tall.

I really think keeping Young in the mids is of the utmost importance. With Cox and Mcdonald injured, our backup Key defensive stocks feature Davies, Draper and Murphy. I'd be tempted to give Draper a crack, due to his superior ball use, but Davies might be able to take a 3rd tall.

The other thing going for Draper is that he has played as a ruck and a forward at times, so if we need to pinch hit in those areas we could also do that if he is in the side. The downside is that he didn't really finish last season of that well, and it would be good for him to have a string of good WAFL games first.

Could bring Reidy in for cox and leave Jackson forward more.

Likely Draper or Davies for McDonald.

And walker for Worner.

Don’t think too much else changes given the forced. See how Sonny pulls up, may see JoM or scoops in

Out: Warner, McDonald, Cox

In: Brodie, Draper, Voss

Move Young back to defense and Brodie into the middle, keep our forward structure!

I'd like to see Simpson as Sub instead of Raz.

Don't want to rush Walker back...didn't work out to well for Cox today!

Just still blown away in how well we clicked.

Treacy proved me wrong. Great performance, but as I’ve said for 12 months he is pretty bloody good in the ruck. If Draper isn’t up to it though we have to possibly unfortunately put him in the backline.

Feel like there shouldn’t be any unforced changes after a win..back in the ones who played poor ones eg; Johnson, Emmett

In: JOM, Voss and Draper (let the kid have a go at the vacant spot for now)

Out: Omac, Cox and Worner

Banfield stays back to cover Worners spot, Voss in as 3rd fwd, Draper gets first go in Omac spot and JOM plays FWD/Wing which banners did early today.

If Draper is out of his depth we’ll have to consider Treacy or another FWD.

Let’s not rush Walker in just yet. A game or two more to build up his body of work

Out: Worner, Cox, McDonald
In: Walker, Voss, JOM/Erasmus
Cooper Simpson into the 24

Walker Pearce Clark
Young Ryan Aish
Johnson Fyfe Sharp
Switta Treacy Frederick
Walters Amiss Emmett
Jackson Brayshaw Serong
Hughes Banfield Erasmus Voss JOM Simpson

Spot on, Ryan plays tall and Youngy unfortunately has to go back and play Luke Ryan's role.

Voss to replace Coxy as the 3rd tall forward.

Reidy will be in the squad and they'll be tempted to play 2 rucks.

It's unfortunate but we effectively lost 3 backs today. Young has to move to defence. Brayshaw played a lot of wing in the first half so he takes Young's role.

Out: Worner Omac Cox
In: Reidy Draper Voss Walker JOM

Draper Pearce Ryan
Clark Hughes Young
Sharp JOM Johnson
Freddy Voss Jackson
Treacy Amiss Walters
Reidy Brayshaw Serong

Walker Banfield Switta Aish

Emerg: Raz

Probably made too many unnecessary changes, but I still don't mind this setup.

Last edited:
Banfield was playing everywhere towards the end or the game. It looked like they had him on the small defender role, Hughes standing talls.

I'd rather not mess with the big bodies in the middle, that's where we won it, keep that together.
Yeah one of the players mentioned after the game that Banners was playing defence in the end and he's never played there before.

Back