Rabbit

Remove this Banner Ad

localyokel said:
Anyone else like rabbit meat? I love it, it's my favorite meat I reckon. Gotten very expensive though.

Grab a .22 or some ferrets and hit Ballarat for some free Rabbits.

Haven't had it for a while. Like duck and quail - I prefer eating it without shotgun pellets!

Rabbit & Hare pie @ Selby's a couple of years ago, was probably the last time I ate Bugs Bunny.

Yeah, like it a lot, Local.

Dad's family (the ones from Byron St ;) ) lived in Warrnambool for years, and all the cockies used to trap/shoot rabbits. Was the staple of their diet, I reckon. I loved Grandma's rabbit stew!

Had it a couple of times since, most recently at a dinner provided by my stepdaughter's boyfriend(of the time)'s family, who are Maltese. They breed the rabbits specifically for the table. Kinda funny to know you're chewin' on a bit of Flopsy :D :D :D

I haven't had rabbit for years...

I am wondering how a popular dish has the rabbit been? I can remember my grandparents making it a few times.

Has it been a popular and dish and if so when was it at the height of its popularity? And are there any particular reasons it is no longer so?

Was extremely popular amongst the working class in the Great Depression and wartime.

Plentiful supply, easy to cook, and versatile.
Philzsay said:
I haven't had rabbit for years...

I am wondering how a popular dish has the rabbit been? I can remember my grandparents making it a few times.

Has it been a popular and dish and if so when was it at the height of its popularity? And are there any particular reasons it is no longer so?

Rabbit Stew Ciociara - Roman peasant style
Serves 6

Ingredients

Rabbit of approx 1 kilo, cleaned and cut up for frying;
90 ml oil;
2 cloves garlic, crushed in the garlic-press;
250 grams smoked ham, chopped
2 dl dry white wine
1 kilo of tomatoes, peeled, seeded, drained, and chopped
15 grams parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Method

Dry the pieces of rabbit thoroughly and season them with salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a large, heavy casserole over fairly high heat and brown the pieces on all sides.

Add the garlic and ham, cook until the garlic begins to colour, add the wine and cook until it has evaporated.

Add the tomatoes, adjust seasoning, cover the casserole, and cook over low heat for about 1 hour. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve in the casserole.

* From Mietta's Italian Family Recipes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have it alot when I am visiting my Nana's farm as they tend to shoot a bloody lot of the buggers.
I find it really nice, shame I never get to eat it living in the city :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back