Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

They had Marlboro sponsorship for years before advertising cigarettes was made illegal. They kept the iconic branding without the word “Marlboro” on it after that. Basically subliminal advertising, according to a lot of people. There was also the Marlboro barcode on the cars for a while and I reckon the use of white in the Ferrari logo more recently is a bit inspired too.
Yeah not buying that.

And the Caulfield thing in the op?

Oh I see. Not buying that either. Seriously doubt non smokers are going to start because of some colours or text.

if you are not buying it they will just have to try harder ;)

I dunno, having watched a lot of gruen transfer - I wouldn't put it past some soulless exec to realize both words end in field and they might be able to profit off a piece of grass that is viewed by millions over and over for a few weeks

.......anyhow (geddit?) it wouldn't be aimed at non smokers.. probably those poor souls who are trying to give up or who have given up.. that imagery might just give them the little pangs that drive an craving

Well it worked on me. I've never smoked but used to work in a servo and saw those packs every day.
But other people don't because they're not on display. Smacks of desperation by tobacco companies if it is actually a thing. I was under the impression most had given up trying to get people smoking and were diversifying their interests and investing in nicotine replacement products.

Surprised not to have heard more about it TBH.
9 Meaning of tobacco advertisement

Basic meaning

(1) Subject to this section, for the purposes of this Act, a tobacco advertisement is any writing, still or moving picture, sign, symbol or other visual image, or any audible message, or any combination of 2 or more of those things, that gives publicity to, or otherwise promotes or is intended to promote:

(f) any other words (for example the whole or a part of a brand name) or designs, or combination of words and designs, that are closely associated with a tobacco product or a range of tobacco products (whether also closely associated with other kinds of products).
Tobacco advertising prohibition act 1992

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am all for lessening dependence on cars, but in some of the more, shall we say, hip suburbs some people's attitudes towards them are positively bizarre.

Today I was driving in Clifton Hill - doing 40 as per the limit on that particular street - and someone starts crossing the road. They probably shouldn't have crossed when they did, but whatever. You'd think, though, that they would at least cross with a bit of speed right? Nope, just ambled at glacial pace without a care in the world; almost walking along the road rather than actually crossing it.

I feel like that sort of thing always happens in certain suburbs...

I am all for lessening dependence on cars, but in some of the more, shall we say, hip suburbs some people's attitudes towards them are positively bizarre.

Today I was driving in Clifton Hill - doing 40 as per the limit on that particular street - and someone starts crossing the road. They probably shouldn't have crossed when they did, but whatever. You'd think, though, that they would at least cross with a bit of speed right? Nope, just ambled at glacial pace without a care in the world; almost walking along the road rather than actually crossing it.

I feel like that sort of thing always happens in certain suburbs...

I was sitting at a red light yesterday, T intersection, i'm on station road, the horizontal part of the T in front of me is Rosanna rd.

in the turning lane waiting to turn right from Rosanna rd into station rd at a red arrow was a gaggle of lycra cyclists, about 8 of them waiting nicely as traffic wooshed by... I was looking at them and thinking about stuff, away with the fairies...

the traffic ceased and they all pedaled around the corner on masse, I assume this means they have the green arrow, which means so do I, I begin to move off when I see a huge b double truck going seemingly way to fast to stop at the re.... wait, its not red, they have a green light still, I look over to see the tail end of the cycle gang going straight through a red arrow..

jerks.

no respect for the rules yet they whinge constantly about car users not respecting them.

which way do they want it?

They should be registered and fined the same as any other road user. Like if they’re at all serious about the road toll.

Exemptions for kids in school uniforms or under the age of e.g. 12 and on the footpath. Parents acompanying said child should also be exempt and allowed to ride on the footpath.

my kids did milo cricket last year, they were 2 of a massive group of participants, think there were 120 kids in the group plus associated helper parents.

This year, numbers have dropped, twelve have turned up.. 12!!

The people who run it say it has happened all across the country, numbers have nose dived, grass roots is in huge trouble.

People have turned off the game, because of the cheating, because we are not winning, plus the general state of the game, it's a big worry...

I was on a you tube tangent yesterday, I fell upon a few of Mitch Johnson's classic spells, then on to a Warne mini doco, geez it was a stark reminder how intensely obnoxious, intimidating and generally boorish we were as a team, it was bullying at its finesse. Then you look at what we are playing now, dull, lifeless, flaccid... its gone full swing the other way.

Could it be Australian cricket could only be successful when we are playing on that ugly line? ..but society wont allow it to be played there any more?

If its coming down to a skills based contest we are screwed, the shield contest is ruined, devalued, the grass roots is even worse, players are chasing money playing 20/20 over anything else.

The game is probably in a worse position than when Kerry packer arguably saved it.

Where do we go from here?

my kids did milo cricket last year, they were 2 of a massive group of participants, think there were 120 kids in the group plus associated helper parents.

This year, numbers have dropped, twelve have turned up.. 12!!

The people who run it say it has happened all across the country, numbers have nose dived, grass roots is in huge trouble.

People have turned off the game, because of the cheating, because we are not winning, plus the general state of the game, it's a big worry...

I was on a you tube tangent yesterday, I fell upon a few of Mitch Johnson's classic spells, then on to a Warne mini doco, geez it was a stark reminder how intensely obnoxious, intimidating and generally boorish we were as a team, it was bullying at its finesse. Then you look at what we are playing now, dull, lifeless, flaccid... its gone full swing the other way.

Could it be Australian cricket could only be successful when we are playing on that ugly line? ..but society wont allow it to be played there any more?

If its coming down to a skills based contest we are screwed, the shield contest is ruined, devalued, the grass roots is even worse, players are chasing money playing 20/20 over anything else.

The game is probably in a worse position than when Kerry packer arguably saved it.

Where do we go from here?

It really is an interesting topic (possibly for the cricket thread).

In test match cricket temperament and technique with the bat is paramount (not necessarily textbook as Smith has proven but one you know backwards), patience with the ball is required for a bowler to be able to set up a batsman and lure them into that false shot.

50 over cricket is similar but to a lesser extent. 50 overs is a long time to survive with the bat and 10 overs is still a reasonable amount of time to bowl. Sure, the last 10 overs turn into a slug fest but without setting the team up in the first 40 overs you have nothing left for the final 10. Bowlers have time to bowl to a field and set up the batsman, the batsman has to focus on occupying the crease.

T20 is as much about eye as it is technique for the batsman. A spread field means you can get away with false shots. Bowlers try to take a wicket every ball, they know the batsman will swing.

We're so far down the T20 rabbit hole that cricket in general, not just in this country, has a mammoth task to get themselves out of it if they want test cricket to be viable long term, let alone 50 over cricket. We're a prime example of the problem. We'll pull up stumps for 6 weeks in the middle of our test match summer to play T20 cricket. How is a player supposed to have form if called up to the test team when they've got no shield form behind them?

As for walking the line in terms of behaviour, I don't have an issue with it. There's nothing wrong with a bowler giving a batsman some lip if the batsman gets a bit jumpy or is bamboozled. There are topics that are out of bounds such as family, race, religion but harmless sledges are fine. If a player lets a few words get under their skin, as long as that line hasn't been crossed, then maybe they're not as good as they thought and they deserve to get found out.

They should be registered and fined the same as any other road user. Like if they’re at all serious about the road toll.

Exemptions for kids in school uniforms or under the age of e.g. 12 and on the footpath. Parents acompanying said child should also be exempt and allowed to ride on the footpath.
On the flipside, I don't think I've ever heard an argument for registering cyclists that accomplishes anything remotely positive. We already have mandatory helmet laws that are fairly unique for the world acting as a barrier to bike use, forcing registration on them would only add more cars onto the road and into traffic, with no apparent gain for any stakeholders

Last edited:
On the flipside, I don't think I've ever heard an argument for registering cyclists that accomplishes anything remotely positive. We already have mandatory helmet laws that are fairly unique for the world acting as a barrier to bike use, forcing registration on them would only add more cars onto the road and into traffic, with no apparent gain for any stakeholders
It's probably one of those things that depending on your experience you will have a wildly different perspective on. Living an hour out of the city, I don't know anyone who rides to work unless they're a serious cycling enthusiast or have their car license suspended. If you're that keen, you'd get registered anyway. Most adults here who ride do so for recreation with their children on paths around local streets, parks or lake areas, which is something I excepted from my original statement about registration anyway.

There are far less barriers to cycling than there are to driving. I don't see anyone asking for a minimum one year on a learners permit with 120 supervised driving hours in a logbook, a hazard perception test, an eye sight test and a two part practical driving test for a cyclist, and that's before we get into the graduated licensing scheme for probationary drivers either. All that really needs to be considered is that all road users are familiar with and obey the road rules, and that there is some way of enforcing that. If they're not meant to obey road rules, they shouldn't be using the roads. Give them more bike lanes instead if that's the case.

Probably easy enough to tie some form of bike registration to a car license, since most people have them as their main form of photo ID for just about everything else. All of the other forms of licenses (car, motorbike, boat, truck, bus) are on the same licensing number anyway, so it's not particularly unusual to link them together.

But again, there's nothing in that post that implies anything remotely useful will come from the massive and expensive task of registering the majority of cyclists. Whenever this argument comes up it seems the main goal behind it is simply an eye for an eye thing, if I had to waste a hour of my day at (insert state body here) to get my rego then you should too, as opposed to actually trying to improve the efficiency of transport and road use and all that. There's a million ways to improve things, starting with protected bike lines that would make everyone happy, and bike rego would be near the bottom of the list, it just wouldn't actually improve anything important and would cost a bucket for the government to implement (which is why they write reports knocking back the idea)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back