Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

So my mum's a bit of a tight ass.
She's put an ad on the notice board at the local supermarket.
She wants $50 for a set of encyclopaedias from 1980.
Maybe there's someone out there who's never heard of the internet.

Your mum is actually very cunning as anyone looking at a supermarket notice board with intent likely has no internet (otherwise they would just use EBay etc.) and so cannot access Wikipedia etc. and so may well be on the lookout for some encyclopaedias.

Your mum is actually very cunning as anyone looking at a supermarket notice board with intent likely has no internet (otherwise they would just use EBay etc.) and so cannot access Wikipedia etc. and so may well be on the lookout for some encyclopaedias.

Her cunning plan isn't working yet. It's been a few weeks and no bites.
She should probably throw in a typewriter and fax machine to sweeten the deal.

Her cunning plan isn't working yet. It's been a few weeks and no bites.
She should probably throw in a typewriter and fax machine to sweeten the deal.

She's playing the long game.

i have a question.

its assumed ..or i assume humans are all one species right? all one species maybe with different breeds.

in the animal kingdom you have many different species - and breeds of.

you may have like feline species, with breeds like lion, cheetah, house cat.. whatever.

So anyway

you get some species that have zero stamina but are very fast - like big cats. but youll never get a cat that can run all day

yet we have humans who can run 100m in 10 secs, and also humans that can run a 42km marathon.

is this weird? am i weird?

The reason most animals do things can usually be traced back to survival. Humans do things to be better than other humans and win bits of tin they can hang around their necks. A cat could probably run a lot longer than you think if it was running for its life. If it did it just for the hell of it it may not have the energy to hunt.

I'm not sure if this makes sense and I haven't fully considered it as an answer to the question, just trying to get my Howard stream of consciousness post on.

tldr; no and yes

The reason most animals do things can usually be traced back to survival. Humans do things to be better than other humans and win bits of tin they can hang around their necks. A cat could probably run a lot longer than you think if it was running for its life. If it did it just for the hell of it it may not have the energy to hunt.

I'm not sure if this makes sense and I haven't fully considered it as an answer to the question, just trying to get my Howard stream of consciousness post on.

tldr; no and yes

my cat gets tired going from the bedroom to the food bowl...

i guess every species has their survival skill. stealth, speed, endurance, trickery

maybe cats was a bad example - i wonder if we can think of a particular species other than humans that can either run really fast or really long distance, depending on their own choice

Humans do things for the hell of it. Like pushing endurance beyond what it should be.

Other animals generally don't. Everything is geared towards survival.

spose thats right - we stopped worrying about our survival years agon when we could walk into coles to hunt and gather our food, then stand behind our gates from predators.

more time to dick around harnessing skills. although i still think we are either born fast twitch, anaerobic people, or slowtwitch aerobic people - and thats what you are.

id be suprises if say there were cheetahs born either - they are fast and thats that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

spose thats right - we stopped worrying about our survival years agon when we could walk into coles to hunt and gather our food, then stand behind our gates from predators.

more time to dick around harnessing skills. although i still think we are either born fast twitch, anaerobic people, or slowtwitch aerobic people - and thats what you are.

id be suprises if say there were cheetahs born either - they are fast and thats that.

Many of the best athletes around the world in terms of pace, endurance or those requiring explosive power and athleticism within their chosen sport (basketball and NFL are the ones that come to mind) are black. Could it be that the evolution of western society has seen the white man lose those traits at a rate of knots, whereas those that lived for centuries longer in a tribal nature having to survive rather than just live have retained them?

EDIT - I hope that doesn't come across as racist, it's certainly not intended to be

Many of the best athletes around the world in terms of pace, endurance or those requiring explosive power and athleticism within their chosen sport (basketball and NFL are the ones that come to mind) are black. Could it be that the evolution of western society has seen the white man lose those traits at a rate of knots, whereas those that lived for centuries longer in a tribal nature having to survive rather than just live have retained them?

EDIT - I hope that doesn't come across as racist, it's certainly not intended to be

It's funny, and not to generalise... But generally the stronger species dominaes the weaker yeh?

How did it happen here that these weedy little white people dominated the big strong athletic African people from so long?

Anyone got tips on how to stop my calves from being so freaking tight after any time I run? Jade?

Do we have an exercise thread on this board? Should make one.

For my one question :p

Anyone got tips on how to stop my calves from being so freaking tight after any time I run? Jade?

Do we have an exercise thread on this board? Should make one.

For my one question :p

No idea mate, most of my issues have tended to be structural as opposed to muscular.

scezza any ideas?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back