Random Discussion - NO POLITICS, NO RELIGION

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a retiree I get time to ponder upon the state of the world. Rising prices, housing affordability, Royal Commissions et al.

It seems clear to me that people have become blasé, lazy and lack the fight to protect the piece of the pie that we’re all entitled to.

Today is a stark reminder of what we’re up against. The Union movement is organising a campaign to redress the balance of an undemocratic industrial relations system.

It pains me to say that the ALP own this dimunition of workers rights. Hawke and Keating started the rot with the ‘Prices and Incomes’ accord. Keating took it a step further when he introduced the concept of enterprise bargaining. John Howard took it to the enth degree when he introduced Work Choices.

Work Choices lost Howard the 2007 election however the ALP Government did little to fix the problem. It just tinkered at the edge of the problems with industrial democracy in this country.

Over a decade later the majority of the working people of Australia are struggling to get a decent pay rise even though employers have the capacity to offer decent pay rises.

There are reasons for this.

Industrial legislation determining what actions can be taken is stymied in red tape and weasel words. All an employer has to mutter is ‘good faith’ when negotiating and that enterprise bargaining agreement which is patently unfair cannot be challenged. “Strike” I hear you say. Strike action these days is mired in red tape and restricted by the legislation. Approval via a postal ballot has to be conducted before strike action can be taken. Then the Union has to give the employer notice of an intention to take industrial action. Months pass by while you’re waiting for a fair agreement. This process can take years and that is the very tactic which employers pursue. Employers are just waiting for its workforce to cave in and accept a substandard agreement. If this doesn’t succeed then Employers threaten the cancellation of the expired, existing agreement which will return its workforce to award rates.

The other impediment to a fairer system is the current historically low rate of union membership. Union bashing has become a national pastime in this country. Workers have bought into this argument and that’s a shame because history demonstrates that organised groups of people will provide a better outcome.

I stopped working in February 2017. The last pay rise I received was paid to me from 1 July 2013. Why? My employer using the aforementioned tactics to deny a fair agreement. A largely unorganised workplace that wasn’t prepared to fight for a better outcome. The result? The workplace caved in and accepted the agreement because, in the end, the employees couldn’t fight for a fair agreement. A 6% pay rise was granted for a 3 year agreement. No back pay. Effectively a 6 year agreement providing a 1% annual pay rise.

The opposing views are in the paper and online today. I know which one I prefer. The argument from the other side doesn’t hold water. It just falls back on fear and bullshit.

I wish everyone the best of luck in getting what you deserve. However taking action is the only way to achieve a better life.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/australian-workers-deserve-a-fairer-go-20181022-p50b5r.html

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...head-of-union-mega-rally-20181022-p50b7a.html

Last edited:
I’ve just read an article where the Melbourne crowd was estimated 15 times the size of the Sydney turnout. Good to see we continue to hold the crown as the most militant in the country.

I was a regular demonstrator back in my youth. As a 13 year old I attended the Anti-Vietnam protests which brought the city to a standstill. It seems today’s crowd was on a par.

I regularly attended protests against Sir John Kerr after he sacked the Whitlam Government. It was all about drinking and eating for this turnip. The Commonweath Club in Albert Park. One of the shock jocks of the time who attended the dinner described the protesters as ‘riff raff’. My mum was not impressed.

A bigger demonstration occurred at Government House in Victoria. It was funny watching all the ASIO operatives taking photos of the crowd and thinking that they would have to identify us.

Leonda in Hawthorn turned violent. Police horses charging through the crowd without a thought to the damage they might cause to bystanders. I remember seeing Allan Jeans who was a policeman at the time (in the period between coaching St Kilda and Hawthorn) assault a young girl by punching her hard in the face. What a man!

The one I missed was his presentation of the Melbourne Cup when he was as pissed as a newt. It summed up his normal state most of the time.

BlueGum Power to the People.

Last edited:

The movement was powered by an AC/DC cover band yesterday. Maybe trying to reprise this classic Melbourne moment..

Love that clip and song. Actually spoke to mark evans recently as I’ve done a bit of work at down town music over the years and they will fix my broken sg headstock. He played down in Melbourne over grand final weekend and Carlton gave him a jumper with jsos number which he wore on stage. He loves Carlton and chatting footy. Very top bloke .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

watched 30/30 on the battle of the Bay San Fran Giants v Athletics 1989 when during the warm up to game 4 of world series SF was hit by a massive earthquake- amazing stories

Can anyone recommend a restaurant in Lygon St. I have an 8 hour stopover on the way back to Perth with the family and was hoping there might be a Carlton owned restaurant with lots of history to visit for dinner. We will be over in May next year, thanks to all who can give me some advice:thumbsu:

Cheers:)

Can anyone recommend a restaurant in Lygon St. I have an 8 hour stopover on the way back to Perth with the family and was hoping there might be a Carlton owned restaurant with lots of history to visit for dinner. We will be over in May next year, thanks to all who can give me some advice:thumbsu:

Given you'll be in the Lygon Street area I can recommend the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens for a viewing. Very impressive grounds and only a block or so away from Lygon Street.

Given you'll be in the Lygon Street area I can recommend the Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens for a viewing. Very impressive grounds and only a block or so away from Lygon Street.
Thanks Ace!

I was searching up restaurants and found Doninnis Italian lots of history and the owner and his kids support the Blues..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Papa Gino's is a Lygon St institution and the owners happen to be friends of mine and Carlton supporters as well.

https://www.papaginos.com.au/

Just pulled the peas out and planted some early tomatoes, garlic not quite ready
Mowed the lawns, some minor pruning and about to start the edging.
Just having a breather, which explains why I’m typing this right now.
On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jabba73 You’ve got a note from home.

Blue Beard and Eskie. Well done.

I bought some plants for the garden and planted them today. Only small but that’s ok. Green shoots grow.

I also bought some veggies. The usual suspects. Eggplant, Zucchini, Tomato, Capsicum and onion. I also planted a pumpkin. We see how that goes.

As for others. I’m very disappointed.

I bought some plants for the garden and planted them today. Only small but that’s ok. Green shoots grow.

I also bought some veggies. The usual suspects. Eggplant, Zucchini, Tomato, Capsicum and onion. I also planted a pumpkin. We see how that goes.

Planted an avocado tree today, see how that pans out :p

Good work Robbo

Too late for onions IMO

I’ll let you know. I wasn’t happy last year but I blamed the type of onion. My wife keeps taking me overseas and I miss planting opportunities.
Winter crop with garlic, spring onions

Corn robbo plant some corn don’t need a lot if room in a block with your pumpkins underneath:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back