Autopsy Rd 8: Dogs battle bravely and come up just short against Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were any good, JJ wouldn’t be getting games. Jesus he puts in some shockers. Yes he’s soft, everybody knows that. But it’s his constant desire to ask for hands off while running on his very non-dominant left side that makes me want to cut my balls off.

Our kick-ins are ****ed and somehow getting worse.
JJ is cooked. So is the coach who plays him. Bevo coaches like it is 2016, but that was 8 years ago!!!

Game turned when Richards missed from 25 out and didn't even score. Bont then dropped a sitter he would normally take and they went down the other end and kicked a goal. Richards not scoring from straight in front was pathetic and what was even more worrying is Bont ducked his head expecting a whack nd that's why he dropped the mark.

Last edited:
JOD and Khamis also have a future at the club, Keath and Gardner are past it.
JOD and Buku can also kick. Granted they were poor tonight but they need to be persisted with. The smalls were much more of a liability tonight.
JOD and Khamis played so poorly that you question whether they're fundamentally up to the standard of being AFL footballers at any stage in their future though.

Outside of the clearances, they just smashed us for work rate, dominated the ground ball gets, uncontested marks and work rate on the GPS numbers.

Our skills weren't great either. Some big turnovers leading directly to goals.

Make no mistake though, this game was lost pretty much entirely on Hawthorn's superior work rate.

Only positive is that we almost won thanks to some brilliance in the clearances.

Last edited:
JOD had a bad game but **** me he was playing on Nick Watson at points.
It's a shame that Clarke was so nervous on debut that we had to sub off a key defender for more run for team balance.

There were noticeable times that we were disorganied and we had no idea who Jones should be playing on, and Khamis even spent 5 mins forward in the first half because he rotated on the bench and we didn't want to take any defender off the ground for him.

The fact that he wasn't even hired to be a line coach but we've kept him in charge of our forward line for 3 years with zero coaching experience at any level says everything you need to know about our football department
Geez what was he hired to do/what role ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If someone can tell me what the F Matt Spangher does or adds to the coaching group please advise.

Matt Spangher was a key element in the mighty Hawks dynasty of 13-15.

He was to that side as Bradman was to The Invincibles and Michael Jordan was to the Bulls.

Have some respect.

For all the vitriol directed at the coach and the players.

Please save some for the umpires, they were absolutely horrendous.
Holding apparently isn’t against the rules if you do it to a Bulldog player.
You only need to move the ball on, and dispose of it legally if you are a Bulldog player.

And if you play for Hawthorn you can jump on the ball, hold it in, waste time, make no attempt to dispose of it at all, and that is just fine.

The last two minutes of umpire assisted time wasting should become a training video of how to resist any temptation to apply the rules appropriately and focus on completing a steal.

For all the vitriol directed at the coach and the players.

Please save some for the umpires, they were absolutely horrendous.
Holding apparently isn’t against the rules if you do it to a Bulldog player.
You only need to move the ball on, and dispose of it legally if you are a Bulldog player.

And if you play for Hawthorn you can jump on the ball, hold it in, waste time, make no attempt to dispose of it at all, and that is just fine.

The last two minutes of umpire assisted time wasting should become a training video of how to resist any temptation to apply the rules appropriately and focus on completing a steal.

Meh, the umpires shouldn’t even be a concern against Hawthorn.

We did this to ourselves

JOD and Khamis played so poorly that you question whether they're fundamentally up to the standard of being AFL footballers at any stage in their future though.
They are not. They may never be so let them go back to the VFL and dominate there.

It is an area we have both Buss and Cleary doing well in as direct replacements so reward form. A no brainer really.

Keath is a viable option if we were competing or if Jones is not available too.

Croft should also be played there in the VFL

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Libba incident is deeply concerning. Is a walking lawsuit for the afl and the club right now.
Was he not kicked in the head beforehand? I was at the game so didn't see the broadcast obviously.

Was he not kicked in the head beforehand? I was at the game so didn't see the broadcast obviously.
Yes, that's what I've heard, but he's copped two head knocks in this game after the delayed response a few weeks ago. We should start thinking about whether he will be able to play on.

Yes, that's what I've heard, but he's copped two head knocks in this game after the delayed response a few weeks ago. We should start thinking about whether he will be able to play on.
I don't think it was ever confirmed he was concussed last week, my understanding is he was just put in the protocols out of an abundance of caution and due to how it all looked.

This week, who knows, he had a face full of blood and would've been exhausted.

One thing is for sure, collapsing on the ground is not normal and to do that twice in as many games is worrisome, but I think we need to be careful about branding it concussion without a bit more of an understanding.

Meh, the umpires shouldn’t even be a concern against Hawthorn.

We did this to ourselves
That’s why we cop such a raw deal. No one else just accepts it like we do.

Most other fans would be screaming about how they were robbed, and highlighting all the times Hawthorn players should have been penalised in the last minutes of the game.

Not us, that’s largely why we are treated the way we are.

Last edited:
Hypothetically. If we were to switch these backlines and forward lines with any of the top 8 teams - Would they be stronger or weaker? I think the obvious answer is they would be weaker. Bevo just doesn't have the cattle.

1714915247887.png

1714915263407.png

I feel for Bevo, he just doesn't have the cattle this year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back