Remember When SANFL Reserves Were on TV?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Glenelg, Redbacks, Lakers
Does anyone else here remember when Channel 10 I think, used to show the SANFL reserves game from football park each Saturday live? It was sponsored by the Eyewitness News I think?
Being young and not going to games it was definitely a weekly highlight!

I remember it being on Channel 7 and possibly Channel 9 but I cant remember it being on Channel 10, in fact I cant remember any SANFL games being on Channel 10, was this prior to 1975 or something as I wouldn't remember it then?

Originally posted by RoosterWedgie
I remember it being on Channel 7 and possibly Channel 9 but I cant remember it being on Channel 10, in fact I cant remember any SANFL games being on Channel 10, was this prior to 1975 or something as I wouldn't remember it then?

Nah your right. It was channel 9. In the late 80s,I loved watching it as a kid!

I remember Ch 9 doing the ressies, with Dean Davis doing the commentary. I think 7 did it later, with Sandy Roberts commentating before he graduated to the league games. He was ADS 7's version of Eddie McGuire in the mid 70s, he hosted everything.

I remember young Port players kicking the dew off the grass hoping to make the big time ... Alex Hryhorec, Mike Broderick, his brother Peter, Pat Hynes, Joe Kozlowski, Zane Separovich, Murray Marrett .... ahhhhh those were the days ... *sigh*

Yes, I grew up watching the Reserves on television. Some reserves players had almost as big a profile as league players.

I would play my footy in the morning, get home and have lunch watching the reserves on telly, and it would be enough to make me run over to Norwood Oval for the league game.

If there was no game at the Parade, I would run to the Adelaide Oval and watch the game there. It was good because it gave me a chance to see all teams play.

Footy will brilliant in the 60s and 70s .... as someone else said, those were the days.

big joe kozlowski...the firmest handshake in the world!!!!!!

big guy, my best mate is from BH and his dad is mates with big joe....nice guy!!!!

ive been to a few sanfl gf's with joe and my mate and his dad and my mate told me that joe had the limpest handshake for a big guy. I thought, alright, ill show this guy a real handshake haha, then i shook his hand and he almost lifted me off the ground!!! HUGE!!!!

Originally posted by The Candy Man
Yes, I grew up watching the Reserves on television. Some reserves players had almost as big a profile as league players.
like Gary Sweet :D

I remember the reserves telecast well. I remember various players who were perennially in the Bays' seconds. Ian Otto and the great Mal Greenslade come to mind. Mal was arguably BOG in every game for the Bays in the '81 ressies premiership year.

Speaking of Glenelg reserves, I remember a game televised in the early to mid 1970s. It was at Glenelg Oval and I think their opponent was Sturt.

I was watching as the teams took the field, first Glenelg, then Sturt. The cameras were showing the Glenelg team as they did their warm ups.

Suddenly the Glenelg players began doing cartwheels, handstands, somersaults, rolling along the ground, piggy-back races, etc. I was thinking, "what in hell is going on here?".

The commentators were obviously not paying much attention and continued to talk through it. Next thing, one of the commentators says, "Another Glenelg team has taken the field!!!"

The camera showed the second team running onto the ground, then panned back to the other Glenelg team. The players ran off, jumped the fence, and disappeared into the car park.

I was killing myself laughing, and the commentators were lost for words. Just one of those classic moments you never forget.

As a Norwood supporter, televised seconds matches were important to me. In the late 60s, early 70s Norwood's league team were closer to the bottom than the top, but our reserves were winning premierships. Gave me something to hang onto :)

Seconds telecasts were also where I first saw Barrie Robran. He came down from Whyalla and played in the 1966 finals series so North Adelaide could have a look at him. It was always exciting to see a budding star on the horizon.

Originally posted by RoosterWedgie
It used to be a ritual to watch the first quarter or 2 on TV before taking flight to the game hoping not to miss too much action.
Ahh, thems were the days.

Yeah we used to do that. Watch the first quarter at a mates place then jump on the bus and get there by 3/4 time of the ressies.

Yes, I used to love watching the Ressies too. I still have one game on video: the 1989 Grand Final when Brett Minchington kicked 6 goals, including 4 in the first quarter. We went on to have a good victory over Norwood, one of our rare premierships in those days. Yes, the ressies were great, especially when your league team struggled!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Uncle Steve
and 1981! don't forget 1981! :D

Yes, I must resort to the magoos to satisfy my desire for a memory of beating Port in a Grand Final :cool:

Speaking of chokes, I don't suppose you'd like to recall the lead Glenelg had at 3/4 time of the 1980 ressies GF ... which Port went on to win? :cool:

Originally posted by Ford Fairlane
Speaking of chokes, I don't suppose you'd like to recall the lead Glenelg had at 3/4 time of the 1980 ressies GF ... which Port went on to win? :cool:
Got a vague memory that the Bays made the '79 ressies GF as well, going down to South, but no recollection whatsoever of '80.

Though I have a feeling I'm about to learn all about it...

Originally posted by Uncle Steve
Got a vague memory that the Bays made the '79 ressies GF as well, going down to South, but no recollection whatsoever of '80.

Though I have a feeling I'm about to learn all about it...

1979 GF South Adelaide 9-13 (67), d. Glenelg 6-8 (44)

1980 GF Port Adelaide 15-16 (106), d. Glenelg 13-13 (91)
David Granger 5 goals
Glenelg lead 13-12 to 6-10 at 3 qtr time, but Port kicked 9-6 to 0-1 in the final term.

Being young I'd always get a giggle when the commentators would say "Sickerdick's just put another one through the middle".

At the risk of starting an argument with Port fans, the Reserves GF that always "irks" me is 1983.

Port Adelaide were having a rare season when their league team missed the finals. Because of the ridiculous qualifying rules, Port were able to field players like Ivan Eckermann, Andy Porplycia (6 goals), Chris Natt, Stephen Williams, Martin Leslie, Craig Bradley, Roger Delaney, Danny Hughes, and Russell Johnston in their reserves team. I think there was something like 6-7 state players. The Port seconds side that day would have beaten their league team.

I watched the first quarter on TV and Norwood were being belted 1-2 to 7-5. I gave away any hope of a Norwood victory and headed to Football Park for the big one between West Adelaide and Sturt.

I got there half way through the third quarter and the crowd was making a lot of noise for a Seconds match. When I checked the board, Norwood had caught up and scores were about level.

I watched with interest as a grossly less credentialled Norwood team hit the front at 3/4 time, and the crowd were all urging them to win as they were such an enormous underdog.

Unfortunatley, Norwood hung in for about 15 minutes but Port's class took over in the final term and they won by 22 points, but it was a terrific performance by the Redlegs.

I've always hated the qualifying rules that allow league regulars to front up in the reserves team in the finals. I recall Lindsay Head playing for West Torrens in the 1960s and it just wasn't right IMHO.

Originally posted by The Candy Man
At the risk of starting an argument with Port fans, the Reserves GF that always "irks" me is 1983.

Port Adelaide were having a rare season when their league team missed the finals. Because of the ridiculous qualifying rules, Port were able to field players like Ivan Eckermann, Andy Porplycia (6 goals), Chris Natt, Stephen Williams, Martin Leslie, Craig Bradley, Roger Delaney, Danny Hughes, and Russell Johnston in their reserves team. I think there was something like 6-7 state players. The Port seconds side that day would have beaten their league team.

I'm a Port fan and I went to the GF that day to watch the ressies play (I did stay on and barrack for Westies too). But you won't get an argument from me. It was ridiculous that we could stack the reserves side with some of those players especially Bradley and Johnno. To be fair on a couple of those, I doubt Porplycia was a consistent league player by then, bad hammies had him playing a fair bit of ressies footy well before 1983. Eckermann and Natt would have been at the end of their careers (altho to be honest I can't remember how much league footy they played in 83), S Williams was an inconsistent performer and Delaney would barely have been heard of back then. Hughes and Leslie had established themselves in the league side by 1982 IIRC so it's surprising they were there. Was that under the rule that if you played the last minor round game in the ressies - or was it didn't play for the league side - you qualified for the finals?

Originally posted by Ford Fairlane
Was that under the rule that if you played the last minor round game in the ressies - or was it didn't play for the league side - you qualified for the finals?

Yep, that was the one. Also, Ivan Eckermann was a state player in 1982 and played 21 games in the 1983 season. I think he missed the last game and qualified.

I have the 1990 reserves GF on tape - West Torrens last game in any grade- we dominated the finals that year to win from 4th I think. Quality players playing, stuart whitehouse, david neimann, and lethal lee robson.

Channel nine did the broadcast. Mr Footypunt was one of the commentators.

And yes the 1994 choke by port adelaide was brilliant, giving the eagles another flag :D

Originally posted by eddie eagle#2
I have the 1990 reserves GF on tape - West Torrens last game in any grade- we dominated the finals that year to win from 4th I think. Quality players playing, stuart whitehouse, david neimann, and lethal lee robson.
from 5th, wasn't it? IIRC the winner of the final round reserves match between Woody & Torrens was to decide which of the two would secure 5th spot. Torrens won it, and marched on to the flag. Glenelg's reserves was minor premier that year, losing only twice (to West and Norwood, in consecutive weeks, I reckon) then got bundled out of the finals in straight sets :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back