Delisted Rhys Mathieson (2015-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

'He's our barometer', but no pressure on Neale replacement

EXPECTATIONS for likely inclusion Rhys Mathieson ahead of Saturday night's showdown with Port Adelaide are simple, says Brisbane midfielder Jarryd Lyons.

"We don't expect anything over and above," Lyons said, following Friday morning's captain's run.

Mathieson is expected to replace injured Brownlow medalist Lachie Neale as one of two forced changes for the home team alongside concussed defender Darcy Gardiner.

Untried Irish defender James Madden was among the 25 Lions that trained and could be in line for a debut.

Neale was an interested onlooker on Friday, watching from the boundary on crutches just four days after ankle surgery.

"He doesn't have to take over what Lachie's done," Lyons said of Mathieson.

"He'll come in and play his role and hopefully have a good game because he deserves it."

Coach Chris Fagan confirmed on Thursday the 24-year-old was all-but assured to come in after playing just one senior game since the middle of 2019.

Mathieson had an excellent pre-season and has been in terrific form at the lower level, kicking four goals to go with 18 disposals in a half of VFL action last Saturday.

"Honestly, for a bloke that has been one of the unluckiest footballers going around at the moment, his team-first mentality over the last six weeks has been amazing," Lyons said.

"He's been emergency every week, so he's always with our group.

"He's always happy, he's always up and about.

"He's the barometer for us, him and Charlie (Cameron) together.

"His energy has been awesome."

Coleman Knocking The Door Down

Fagan joined a large group of Lions players as spectators at the Southpine Sports Complex while Rhys Mathieson doubled-up from his AFL game the previous evening to run the water.

“It says a lot about our club to have Matho running the water and so many others come out in those conditions to support the VFL.’’

Lions loyalist Rhys Mathieson to make his 50th appearance for Brisbane

Rhys Mathieson’s loyalty to the Lions will be rewarded on Sunday with his 50th AFL appearance for Brisbane.

While it might only be a small milestone to many, it’s significant for Mathieson, who has so often been on the fringes since making his debut in 2016.

Despite his desire for more AFL football, the 24-year-old Geelong Falcons product has never sought to leave the Lions.

“I feel like I’ve made a really good decision to stay at the club,” Mathieson said ahead of the Lions battle with Fremantle at the Gabba on Sunday.

“It’s not that I was searching for other clubs, but I just wanted to be loyal and really stick it out.

“I’ve been there since I’ve been drafted. We’ve been down the bottom and down in the dumps then, so it’s rewarding to know that I’ve stuck it out because we’ve been in the finals for the past two seasons and are striving for that again this year.”

Midfielder Mathieson’s latest selection opportunity has come because of a long-term ankle injury suffered by Lions talisman and Brownlow medallist Lachie Neale.

“I’m definitely not a replacement for Lachie Neale. He’s hard man to replace – that’s for sure,” Mathieson said.

“He’s a champion player, but we both play in the midfield, so I can step in and play a part in that midfield group, which is such a talented group.

“I was always confident in my ability but I needed to get the chance.

“As my coach (Chris Fagan) said, I don’t need to do anything special. I’ve just got to go out there, play my role, be a good teammate, and just do what’s required for my team.

“I play to my strengths – my contested footy, just being able to win the footy and the ability to hunt. I don’t have to do anything special outside of that.”

Mathieson is hugely popular among him teammates, and have gladly kept his nickname from under 18 football – “Beast Mode” – going at the Lions.

“It’s more of a fun thing. A lot of the boys will tell you it’s probably just because I've only got one speed which is full speed,” he said.

After a slow start to the season, the Lions have recovered and are targeting a fourth successive win on Sunday.

Their hat-trick of victories included last Saturday’s 49-point spanking of heavyweights Port Adelaide at the Gabba.

“We’re feeling pretty confident after last week’s win against the Power, who we know are a very good team this year,” Mathieson said.

“They (Fremantle) are going to bring their best – they’ve got superstars in their team.”

Nine things we learned: Time for Ratts to do a Bevo at the selection table

1. The Beast might be Brisbane's barometer

After playing just one game in 2020, Rhys Mathieson is not leaving anything to chance this season. Brought into Brisbane's midfield following Lachie Neale's ankle surgery a month ago, 'The Beast' has grown week by week and brought out his best in the Friday night showdown against Richmond. Meshing nicely with Jarryd Lyons and Dayne Zorko, Mathieson had 20 disposals, five tackles, four clearances and a 50m goal as the Lions got on top. The 24-year-old brings an edge opponents hate, but his teammates love – an edge that makes Brisbane an even more formidable opponent.

Lions teammates open up on Rhys Mathieson’s ‘care’ and ‘sacrificial role’ he plays

Brisbane veterans Dayne Zorko and Mitch Robinson have lauded Rhys Mathieson, saying the confrontational Lions midfielder brings a selflessness and loyalty those outside the club wouldn’t see.

Mathieson, who’s been on the fringes of Brisbane’s best team for most of his Lions stint but played the last four straight games with Brownlow Medallist Lachie Neale sidelined, was in the thick of the action during the Lions’ gritty win over Richmond on Friday night.

The 24-year-old kicked a long-range goal just before three quarter-time to give Brisbane a handy 22-point buffer.

After converting the major, Mathieson got in the face of Richmond opponent Liam Baker and appeared to rip a fake shirt in a gesture that irked Baker and teammate Dustin Martin.

But speaking on Fox Footy’s Saturday Countdown, Lions skipper Zorko said Mathieson was the ultimate teammate that inspired his teammates both on and off the field.

“You guys see him out on the field. He brings so much passion and energy to our football side, but he is one of the most caring and loyal people I know,” Zorko told Saturday Countdown.

“He does everything for this team. He comes in every week and does such a sacrificial role for us. He really drives the energy amongst the group at training and in the gym.

“It was great to see him get rewarded with a goal (against Richmond) and I thought it was probably the best game since he‘s been in the side.

“I know there‘s a lot of people externally that probably don’t love the way he goes about it. But internally, we love him so much. He does so much for us and what he brings to our team is really important.”

Robinson added on SEN’s Crunch Time: “I love Rhys Mathieson. The way he plays, his attitude, he doesn’t really give a sh*t about what people think about him and he plays for his teammates.

“It’s really fantastic to be around him and his energy before the game and during the game really sets the standard for us and gets us going.

“It relieves me of a little bit pressure. I might hand the baton over to him when I retire and see how he goes.”

Mathieson’s willingness to stand up to the Tigers was one example of the hard edge Brisbane showed, not only during Friday night’s win, but across the past six weeks.

Inside the world of 'The Beast': The selfless Lion who opponents love to hate

WHEN Brisbane captain Dayne Zorko speaks to players from other clubs, there's one Lion they're particularly interested in.

"They ask what Rhys Mathieson is like because they can't stand him on field," Zorko told AFL.com.au.

For a player who recently ticked past his 50th game in his sixth season, Mathieson is a fascination to opponents and supporters both near and far.

Put simply, 'The Beast' is loved by his teammates and hated by almost everyone else.

Take Brisbane's round 10 victory over Richmond for example, the game where Mathieson got into some back-and-forth with Tiger Liam Baker after kicking a 50m goal.

The usually unflappable Dustin Martin wasn't impressed, coming in to say a few words, and nor was Mathieson bothered, happy to chirp back to the superstar.

You didn't have to look too hard on social media following the incident to get a grasp of what Richmond fans thought of the 24-year-old.

It's nothing new to Mathieson.

From the moment he won six free kicks for high tackles in his 2016 debut against Melbourne, he's been a man in the opposition crosshairs.

"I don't go out there to try and get under the skin of opponents, that's for sure," Mathieson said.

"The emotions of the game I probably get caught up in, and I don't mind throwing a bit of lip here and there, but I don't go out there to do that at all.

"I know our fans love it, I know the opposition fans probably don't love it.

"I don't mean any disrespect by it. I love the game of footy and that's just the way I play.

"I'm just real passionate about the club and where we're going and want to show our supporters that I care about playing for the Brisbane Lions."

ESSamtEy.jpg

Like most things in life, it's not black and white when it comes to the Lions' No.36.

What you see for two hours over the weekend is vastly different to the man away from the cameras.

On the field you get a rough, rugged, competitive midfielder who loves nothing more than to engage in physical combat. Mathieson calls it playing with passion.

Off it, you get someone revered by teammates, someone who ran water for the reserves the day after playing AFL, someone who leaves his (or house-owning landlord Charlie Cameron's) front door open for team dinners, and someone who brings energy to the whole list whether he's playing seniors or not.

Zorko said for his physicality on the field and his empathy off it, Mathieson is arguably the most crucial cultural cog on the list.

"He's a leader in his own way," Zorko said.

"He gets the vibe of the group really well. If he senses we're a bit flat, he'll bring that energy, but if he senses we're 'up', he'll take a back seat.

"He's here for the club, he's not here for his own individual brand or accolades, he's here simply for the club to do well and succeed.

"You ask him to do something, he just does it. He doesn't ask questions, he just does it. He's a phenomenal human."

Mathieson has had every reason to get frustrated in the past two seasons.

He was an emergency more than 10 times in 2020 and cracked the top team just once, but Zorko said that's almost where his greatest strength lies – his ability to push aside personal disappointment and keep the collective as his priority.

After being the medical sub in round one this season, Mathieson travelled as an emergency to play Geelong in round two, when Brisbane was forced to stay in Melbourne for two additional weeks.

It meant he got no VFL practice matches – while the Lions' reserves remained in Brisbane – and consequently slipped down the pecking order by the time injuries opened up spots in the seniors.

"I can't think of someone who's been an emergency so many times, yet doesn't complain, gets around the boys and does everything you possibly could to help prepare us and get us in the right frame of mind," Zorko said.

"I'm sure there's one of at every club and Rhys is the man for us."

Away from the field, Mathieson is a man of simple pleasures.

He owns a growing collection of old cars he loves to restore, including his pride and joy – a 1964 Mustang.

He loves to host pasta nights for teammates, trades off barbecuing tips with young forward Tom Fullarton and is a regular 'fan' at basketball, cricket and rugby league matches.

"I've been in and out of the team, so I've been really close with some of the VFL boys and the ones still developing and obviously really close with the 22 in the AFL," he said.

"I know what it's like on both sides. I've grown up around footy, I consider myself a bit of a footy head, so I like to get out there and help in any way.

"I just love being around the 47, 48 blokes in our locker room."

Mathieson is a family man at heart.

He bought a house for his parents just north of Brisbane that they're due to move into any day.

He says it'll be great having them closer to him and allow him to get "a bit more work done on the cars and a few more tinnies with the old boy".

Back on the field, Mathieson knows he lives on the fringe of Brisbane's best team, but it won't affect his mindset or the way he plays.

"I look at that club as my family," he said.

"I feel like I can play at the level.

"To get my chance and to show the boys and coaches what I can do for the team and bring a different edge is important to me."

Next time an opponent asks Zorko what Mathieson is really like, he'll answer the same way he always does: "We love him".

Rhys 'The Beast' Staying Put
The 'Beast' will be at Brisbane at least two more years, with Rhys Mathieson signing a contract extension until the end of 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good. He's divisive but this guy bleeds our colours.

I love how many jimmies he's rustled at /r/afl too with this announcement.
He is the ultimate team man and is just happy to play his role for the team even if that means not playing.
I love Matho and the energy he brings.

Rhys 'The Beast' Staying Put

The new deal comes on the back of one of the 24-year-old's best seasons, in which he's played a total of 15 games, including seven as the medical sub.

Mathieson is a perfect 8-0 when starting in the Lions' 22 this year and said there was no thought of chasing a more permanent midfield role at another club.

"I'm pretty stoked to be able to stay at this club that I love so much," Mathieson told AFL.com.au.

"The boys are my best mates, they're people I hang out with in the off-season. They're like a family to me.

"I'd love to be playing every week, but we've got a pretty good core midfield group.

"I look at it as a positive that it's going to help me develop into a better footballer.

"To have those guys around me like Lachie Neale, JL (Jarryd Lyons) and Zorks (Dayne Zorko), that's a pretty good core right there to learn off.

"I feel like when I come in and get a game I'm pretty well prepared and have the best mentors in that group."

Mathieson came to Brisbane via pick No.39 in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft and has been with the club in its rise from the bottom to playing finals in the past three years.

He's played a total of 62 games in six seasons and said the journey was part of his reason to stay.

"It's the blokes I've done it with because they were there at the start too," he said.

"Doing the journey with them and getting to where we are now is pretty special, but we're not done yet.

"Fages, all the coaches I've had to develop off, I've built such a great relationship and I can't picture myself anywhere else or starting anywhere else."

What You Missed at Men's Training This Week

Rhys Mathieson looks to be in career best shape and was vocal amongst the group as he continues to press for a spot in Chris Fagan’s best 22.

VFL Match Report: Lions Fall Short in Geelong

Experienced on-baller Rhys Mathieson continued to press his case for a senior recall with 26 disposals and eight clearances.

Brisbane Cruise to Third Straight Win

It was another day out for Rhys Mathieson as he collected a game-high 39 disposals and continued to push his case for a senior recall.

Lions Edge Past Williamstown In Thriller

Rhys Mathieson was a ball magnet for the Lions, racking up more than 30 touches for the fifth time this season.

Proving a key figure for the Lions in the difficult conditions, Mathieson gathered 31 disposals, 15 clearances and six tackles.

Sharks Down Lions

Rhys Mathieson continued his streak of 30+ disposals for the Lions, gathering 37 touches, eight clearances, seven inside 50s and five marks in a mammoth effort for the Lions.

Brisbane Storm Home Over Bullants

It was a Rhys Mathieson masterclass as he led the Brisbane Lions to a convincing 62-point win against the Northern Bullants under lights at the Moreton Bay Sports Complex.

The 25-year-old had a day out at Burpengary, collecting a huge 46-point disposals, 17 clearances, nine marks and a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back