Roar deal topics

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Mike and Dom, this is my only social media so hopefully you will see this.

I understand that matho will not get a game. There are guesses about him being too slow, to inaccurate.

Can you please clarify why he is not ever going to get a game?

As a protest my entire block of 17 seats are not attending the game this week. Our loss, club doesn't care cause memberships at an all time high, but I value loyalty and dogged determination and want it rewarded.

I understand that matho will not get a game. There are guesses about him being too slow, to inaccurate.

As a protest my entire block of 17 seats are not attending the game this week. Our loss, club doesn't care cause memberships at an all time high, but I value loyalty and dogged determination and want it rewarded.
Cam Bruce on the Roar Deal today said Rhys needs to become a 2-3 phase player, in other words he needs to improve his endurance.. we already knew that though.

Tom Berry was on as well and said the areas of his game he is trying to improve is defensive running and his disposal by foot.

I hope this is a bit...

I hope this is a bit...
It is and it isn't.

Players improve, even if that improvement doesn't turn them into superstars.

He has improved by a big step this year, and that should be rewarded.

Imagine being a 19/20 yo going nowhere fast, watching matho and thinking he's the ultimate club man, loyal, working hard, playing like that (cause they are on field and know what they are seeing) and can't get a game. Even when the ones just throw in the towel and stopped running. I'm screwed.

Sometimes effort should be rewarded, just because of the effort. To keep players motivated and engaged.

Young Blake Coleman's was mentioned as trying to find his love of the game again this year. Seeing effort not being rewarded, with maybe future potential one level players getting games can't be encouraging.

Hawks played essentially one team for their glory years, are we heading down the same path, albeit with a team that doesn't look quite as convincing at this point?

If there was ever a week to reward effort just cause of effort, this was the week to do it.

I am genuinely interested in the opinions of people who have a professional understanding of the club on this issue.

It is and it isn't.

Imagine being a 19/20 yo going nowhere fast, watching matho and thinking he's the ultimate club man, loyal, working hard, playing like that (cause they are on field and know what they are seeing) and can't get a game. Even when the ones just throw in the towel and stopped running. I'm screwed.

Sometimes effort should be rewarded, just because of the effort. To keep players motivated and engaged.

Young Blake Coleman's was mentioned as trying to find his love of the game again this year. Seeing effort not being rewarded, with maybe future potential one level players getting games can't be encouraging.

Hawks played essentially one team for their glory years, are we heading down the same path, albeit with a team that doesn't look quite as convincing at this point?

If there was ever a week to reward effort just cause of effort, this was the week to do it.

I am genuinely interested in the opinions of people who have a professional understanding of the club on this issue.

Matho is a slow inside mid with poor skills who doesn't run that well defensively. Getting 40 touches in the VFL isn't any indication of performance at AFL level.

It is and it isn't.

I think there's a difference between a guy improving and a guy getting more stats in the reserves. Playing well in the reserves is about developing tools and improving skills in a way that can be used effectively at an AFL level. This is why sometimes players who aren't dominating statistically at a lower level are elevated over others who are. If you follow the reserves for long enough, you see plenty of these players that dominate at the lower level that never make the grade due to flaws that haven't been fixed to a significant degree.

In the games I've caught this year, Matho still seems to be the same player fundamentally that he was when he was drafted and that's not really good enough to an AFL-level player. Maybe he'll get there, maybe not. I'm still surprised we gave him two years but I assume he's on small coin and they wanted some experience for the reserves in the midfield.

I would also be very surprised if players didn't understand that effort enough doesn't get you games. You build teams around effort at the expense of other things, you get a team of Amon Buchanan's, Marcus Allan's and Ben Fixter's which isn't winning premierships.

I understand what Gadzorks is saying from a justice standpoint and don't want to denigrate his view.

But in anything I've seen of Matho in the 2's this year he's playing exactly the same way he's always played and hasn't made any inroads into the areas of his game that have prevented him from playing regular Senior footy.

But I'm sympathetic to the view that he at least deserves another go and if Lyons keeps playing the way he has and we keep losing he'll get it.

I’m going to offer two “sad” points in favour of Matho.

He definitely offers more run than Lyons does now.

He’d bring aggression and intensity that none of our full time mids currently poses.

Also, Lyons kicking is dropping away* and lacking penetration this year.

*I haven’t looked up his kicking percentage to see if the stats back up the perception.

I’m going to offer two “sad” points in favour of Matho.

He definitely offers more run than Lyons does now.

He’d bring aggression and intensity that none of our full time mids currently poses.

Also, Lyons kicking is dropping away* and lacking penetration this year.

*I haven’t looked up his kicking percentage to see if the stats back up the perception.

Lyons has always lacked penetration on his kicks. I can't see any difference this year in that respect at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back