20th Century Robert F. Kennedy is never killed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Belushi Brassiere

Team Captain
Mar 9, 2011
Albury-Wodonga, Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
1. I think he won't beat Hubert H. Humphrey.

2. After Nixon wins, Bobby will be the automatic front-runner for the Democratic Party nomination in 1972.

3. As for Watergate? McGovern was clueless on what to do but Bobby Kennedy was the man who put away Jimmy Hoffa. He would have eaten Nixon and his goons for lunch.

1. I think he won't beat Hubert H. Humphrey.

2. After Nixon wins, Bobby will be the automatic front-runner for the Democratic Party nomination in 1972.
Counterfactals are always a bit tricky. I agree that Triple H probably still wins the nomination.

On the other hand, I think Kennedy would probably be offered and accept the VP nomination and a Humphrey/Kennedy ticket stands a pretty good chance of beating Nixon.

If that happened, things would get really interesting. Maybe Reagan runs in 1972, if not Rockefeller probably does. If Rockefeller loses to an incumbent Humphrey, Reagan definitely runs and probably wins in 1976.

Either way the Republicans quite probably have to deal with the oil crisis and everything else that fell to Jimmy Carter in the late 70s. Sets up the 1980s to potentially look very different.

If that happened, things would get really interesting. Maybe Reagan runs in 1972, if not Rockefeller probably does. If Rockefeller loses to an incumbent Humphrey, Reagan definitely runs and probably wins in 1976.

Either way the Republicans quite probably have to deal with the oil crisis and everything else that fell to Jimmy Carter in the late 70s. Sets up the 1980s to potentially look very different.

I think Rockefeller is likelier than Reagan for 72 in that scenario - conservatives are still in the wilderness post-Goldwater, don't have four years of Nixon to re-legitimise them and (particularly if Humphrey picks RFK as a peacemaker) the Dems coalition doesn't fracture as heavily as it does in the main timeline.

Sets up RFK v Reagan in 76, with the winner copping the brunt of the oil crisis and (more than likely) doing just the one term. Ronnie runs again and beats RFK in 1980, or the flipped scenario RFK/Ted Kennedy or Jerry Brown taking on (and probably beating) Reagan.

The Dems winning '80 in that scenario probably leads to an earlier onset of third way Clinton style Liberalism (as they reap the benefits of the economic recovery) but with a slightly more progressive edge.

The Dems winning '80 in that scenario probably leads to an earlier onset of third way Clinton style Liberalism (as they reap the benefits of the economic recovery) but with a slightly more progressive edge.
Which means the Dems cut loose the working class and generationally impoverished even earlier than they actually did.

Which means they are sitting there even earlier looking for a home.

Or for a Trump.

Which means the Dems cut loose the working class and generationally impoverished even earlier than they actually did.

Which means they are sitting there even earlier looking for a home.

Or for a Trump.

Pat Buchanan *shudders* - or maybe even Ross Perot going around earlier than he did.

Democrats were on the nose in 1968 so Nixon would still win. (His secret plan to stop the war).

Teddy Kennedy would not have killed his intern if Bobby's womanising ways had been exposed.

RFK may have been a chance in 1976, instead of Jimmy Carter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back