Roger Federer

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Just how good is he? Surely he will go on to be the greatest tennis player of all time and I think he will do it fairly easily. In interviews after the US Open final they talked to him about beating history and records now obviously implying that nobody can get anywhere near him.

But he is awesome? Great serve, huge groundstrokes, extremely intelligent, very quick etc etc ... those traits are in a lot of tennis players but Federer is just far and away the best at almost every aspect of tennis.

Sampras holds the record I believe with 14 slams but Federer already has 6 and he is only 24. I dont think a Grand Slam is beyond him either, winning all 4 in the same year for those that dont know. Hasnt got the French yet but he will.

I kind of wish he was born earlier so he could have taken on Sampras, Becker, Edberg, Agassi, etc in their prime. But I still think he would kill them. Although a 35 year old Agassi had him on the ropes in the US Open Final. 1 set all and up a break in the third. Had he being 10 years younger he probably would have won?

You know who I do think could beat him....one from left field but our own Patrick Rafter. I dont think Federer handles the serve and volleyers to well and Rafter was just about the best in the biz 7 or 8 years ago. He won two US Opens and made the Wimbledon final a few times. Had solid and powerful groundstrokes too, great serve and very intelligent.

Pity we will never get to see Federer up against guys like Rafter, Agassi (young version) Sampras (young version) Becker etc etc....Although Safin, Nadal, Hewitt, Roddick etc are good they just arent good enough.

Federer has all of those guys covered. A few guys would be right up their on their favourite surfaces:
Sampras and Becker on grass,
Brugeira, Kuertin and Muster on Clay,
Lendl on hardcourt.

However Federer looks to be just the complete package.

Rod Laver was an absolute machine, and although I've only seen recorded footage of him, and the sport has obviously evolved out of control since his era, he appears to be the only player that Federer may not overhaul.

Hope he keeps going and attains the grand slam record.

Harvey Leadpipe said:
Federer has all of those guys covered. A few guys would be right up their on their favourite surfaces:
Sampras and Becker on grass,
Brugeira, Kuertin and Muster on Clay,
Lendl on hardcourt.

However Federer looks to be just the complete package.

Rod Laver was an absolute machine, and although I've only seen recorded footage of him, and the sport has obviously evolved out of control since his era, he appears to be the only player that Federer may not overhaul.

i think thats the main thing, the only time players seems to have a chance against the Fed Express is when they are playing on their preferred surface and playing at the absolute top of their game also. (eg Nadal V Fed French Open) or (Aus Open V Safin)

As it stands right now nobody can beat Federer and i dont see this changing anytime soon he is just about unstoppable and its a pleasure to watch just how good he is!!!

I love watching Federer play...has every shot in the book an plays them so smoothly.

And to think this was his first tournament since Wimbledon...yeah, I just won Wimbledon, so maybe I'll have a rest for the next month. Then I'll come back and win the US Open. Oh, and I don't need a coach either.

Harvey Leadpipe said:
So do I. For some reason I'm uncomfortable with the fact that someone as boring as Sampras holds the record.
However, I think the 14 Grand Slams will be hard to reach...that's gotta be another 6 or so years of dominance. It'll be tough.

jod23 said:
I kind of wish he was born earlier so he could have taken on Sampras, Becker, Edberg, Agassi, etc in their prime. But I still think he would kill them.
Remember he did break Sampras' winning streak at Wimbledon in 2001...though admittedly Sampras was past his prime by then.

jod23 said:
Although a 35 year old Agassi had him on the ropes in the US Open Final. 1 set all and up a break in the third. Had he being 10 years younger he probably would have won?
5 years younger (in his pirate phase)?...Yes.
10 years younger...Probably not.

jod23 said:
You know who I do think could beat him....one from left field but our own Patrick Rafter. I dont think Federer handles the serve and volleyers to well and Rafter was just about the best in the biz 7 or 8 years ago. He won two US Opens and made the Wimbledon final a few times. Had solid and powerful groundstrokes too, great serve and very intelligent.
Yeah, but you know Rafter would lose every single baseline rally...just hit it to his crappy forehand.

My favourite Ratfer matches were when he beat Agassi in the Wimbledon semi's. It's like he'd used all his skill & determination to becomes a brick wall and return everything Andre could throw at him. So if he could repel Agassi in that form, then surely he could hold off Federer as well.

That said, Federer wouldn't let Rafter chip-and-charge against his service - he'd come to the net himself...so it would take a mammoth effort for a guy like Rafter to overcome Federer regularly IMO.

jod23 said:
Pity we will never get to see Federer up against guys like Rafter, Agassi (young version) Sampras (young version) Becker etc etc....Although Safin, Nadal, Hewitt, Roddick etc are good they just arent good enough.
We all know Safin is good enough if he's switched on...and we haven't seen the best of Nadal yet.

Fed has to win the French a couple times to claim to be the out and out best ever. He probably will win it one year.

I wonder if Fed will catch Pete before Tiger catches the Bear.

They both have 9 to go.

I think Roger the Dodger stands more of a chance at catching Pete than Tiger catching the Bear, simply by the nature of the sports.

The Fed can have a bad day, make a couple of blues, but still beat a guy ranked 40 in the world in 4 sets. If Tiger has a bad bad, makes a couple of errors, he's 12 strokes behind with two rounds to play.

What Fed needs is to make a tournament all his own. Sampras owned Centre Court at Wimbledon. Once he got out there, he lifted another notch, and other players were awestruck. Even though it's early days, at the moment Fed owns both Wimbledon and the US (and can easily take control at the Aust. Open as well), with other players not even getting a look in.

Agassi would have be right up there amongst the names for GOAT wouldn't he? Won on all surfaces, still top 10 @ 35 (not looking like leaving either) and is consistently thereabouts in all his tournaments.

But yeah, like everyone else says, watching the Rog play and step it up is just fun. How old is he, 23? He'll have the French soon enough, he'll just have to go through Nadal once or twice to get there.

TheGnu said:
Agassi would have be right up there amongst the names for GOAT wouldn't he? Won on all surfaces, still top 10 @ 35 (not looking like leaving either) and is consistently thereabouts in all his tournaments.
And he's shagging a bird with big norgs. He's certainly doing alright for himself!

Safan has it all except the mental facility.

Switch Hewitts grey matter and you have another Federer there. Little different. Incrementally more power, not quite as good footwork, potentially as good a volleyer. struggles sometimes with the low ball when he gets lazy at the net.

Federer would find Rafter the mot difficult, I agree, good suggestion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back