Review Round 10, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed on Brain, man hit some contests absolutely hard which I wasn’t expecting at all. A bit like if Answerth was also actually a good ball user. Might be interesting to keep up our sleeve in the coming years if we need to

I loved Brain and what he was able to do. A hundred points up at the start of the fourth was great for him to come in and basically try whatever kick he liked off halfback to show what he’s got. An absolute dart to Ah Chee set up an eventual goal.

Loving that Brain and Reville add some good penetrating kicks to go alongside Zorko. McKenna also played a lot better and his kicking was much improved. He may be a tad underdone but he’s still putting in effort.

I’d be tempted to keep Brain in over Answerth when Starce comes back but Answerth is also playing well and has cleaned up his kicking. Would be a balance between extra defence in Answerth versus another good kick off halfback.

Iirc Usain bolt's stride length was almost 2.5m.

sharp at speed would be close to 2m, possibly longer. So 2-3 short steps to accelerate at say 1.5 m each, 4.5 m plus 11m = ~6 steps at speed.

In total 10 steps would be holding the ball.
Close to 2.44m per stride for his world record.

I've seen this several times now. People have to realise that world class sprinters are specifically trained to take shorter strides, as part of sprint training. Sprinting is about power and reducing drag. Taking long strides is actually aerodynamically inefficient, as the longer a runner spends in the air between strides, they start to lose speed. Sprinters take shorter, explosive strides to keep building speed, until they hit max speed somewhere between the 60 and 70 metre mark. This is somewhat counterbalanced that the faster you run, the longer your stride.

So Bolt was trained to take shorter steps, but at full speed, without training, he'd be well over 2.5 meters per stride.

Bolt was the fastest person to ever live and ran a sub 10 second hundred, while Rankine, while fast is probably capable of running a low 12 second hundred.

Sorry it's been bugging me that people keep trying to compare the stride of Bolt at 6'5" to Rankine at 5'10".

Provided those sections of the field were mown in 10m strips at the Gabba last night, in the video above, Sharp was taking very close to 6 steps per section in the two sections he ran close to a straight line. So about 1.67cm per stride when he was up and running.

I loved Brain and what he was able to do. A hundred points up at the start of the fourth was great for him to come in and basically try whatever kick he liked off halfback to show what he’s got. An absolute dart to Ah Chee set up an eventual goal.

Loving that Brain and Reville add some good penetrating kicks to go alongside Zorko. McKenna also played a lot better and his kicking was much improved. He may be a tad underdone but he’s still putting in effort.

I’d be tempted to keep Brain in over Answerth when Starce comes back but Answerth is also playing well and has cleaned up his kicking. Would be a balance between extra defence in Answerth versus another good kick off halfback.

Yeah, I'd like to keep Answerth in defense based on what he's shown this season. Hence my thinking to try Brain further up the field in other roles. He seems to be capable and it's worth a try considering his skillset. When he's dropped back to 2s eventually, I'd send him straight to the middle and say "show us what you've got, you'll get a consistent run in midfield from here on".

The Lions now have a lot of AFL capable half-back players. We need 4 (1 bench) for best 22.
Zorko, Wilmot, & maybe McKenna if he regains his best form are best 22.
Starcevich has been best 22 but looking shaky for mine now. His 2024 form is down on previous seasons and now injured.
Coleman best 22 but unavailable until next year.
Then Answerth & Brain.
Depth being Prior, Madden & Michael
Fletcher and even Berry also played HB for a few games this year.

It's going to be hard for Brain to get a full game unless someone changes position or injury strikes which we don't want.
As for Brain playing in another position, where and who gets dropped. So, i don't see that happening either.
At least Brain is presently getting exposure at AFL level which is good for his development.

He is playing a more disciplined version of the ‘Doc’ Wheildon role. Great hands, mobile and hard to match up on. Wheildon had a yard on him for pace, but Morris looks like he is going to prove to be equally hard to match up on. I strongly suspect Morris will take his footy more seriously.

DOC, what a character he was. My niece when she was 3 got a photo with DOC after a game at the western oval along long time ago. She has had it framed in her room for along time. When we heard DOC was going to be at one of our guernsey presentations at Marvel Stadium we took the photo and he signed it for us. He was astounded that we had the photo framed for so long. Was a great bloke to have a chat with. Little story he was playing at VFL park and he was playing full forward and ball was at other end of the ground. Apparently he was swearing at something and his opponent said whats wrong DOC. Back in those days they would put the results of the races up on the big screen, DOC replied to his opponent i have just been bundled out of my quaddie.

Last edited:
Close to 2.44m per stride for his world record.

I've seen this several times now. People have to realise that world class sprinters are specifically trained to take shorter strides, as part of sprint training. Sprinting is about power and reducing drag. Taking long strides is actually aerodynamically inefficient, as the longer a runner spends in the air between strides, they start to lose speed. Sprinters take shorter, explosive strides to keep building speed, until they hit max speed somewhere between the 60 and 70 metre mark. This is somewhat counterbalanced that the faster you run, the longer your stride.

So Bolt was trained to take shorter steps, but at full speed, without training, he'd be well over 2.5 meters per stride.

Bolt was the fastest person to ever live and ran a sub 10 second hundred, while Rankine, while fast is probably capable of running a low 12 second hundred.

Sorry it's been bugging me that people keep trying to compare the stride of Bolt at 6'5" to Rankine at 5'10".

Provided those sections of the field were mown in 10m strips at the Gabba last night, in the video above, Sharp was taking very close to 6 steps per section in the two sections he ran close to a straight line. So about 1.67cm per stride when he was up and running.

So ... about 11 steps for the 15m.

You've obviously had lots of conversations about stride length. Down at your local pub pre a lions game I assume?

So ... about 11 steps for the 15m.

You've obviously had lots of conversations about stride length. Down at your local pub pre a lions game I assume?
I may be wrong but I counted 11 steps both times for Sharp.
May be wrong because I was looking from my phone.

He took 11 maybe 12 steps , but a bit of a zig zag.

Sharpie was 11 maybe 12 as well.

Probably just over the 15m.

Not as if the full back doesn't go 20m multiple times a game.
Too tired now to engage in conversation. Not even the Giro is going to keep me up any longer.

15 meters is covered very quickly running at pace, 99 times out of 100 the distance of the Rankine run is deemed fine.... eg. numerous times when players play on from a kick out they run well over the "official" legal distance.

Red hot decision against the Crows and Rankine, the ticking off of the decision just starkly illustrates shocking inconsistency.
I would say the same thing about Berry early in the GF last year as well.

Don't think infringements for bounces will be an issue for the Lions going forward.
We are last with only (27) behind the league leaders Tigers (87).

Also, the goal square is 9 meters not 10 as some think. Thats why umpires call "back to the 9" to players on the mark.
The center square is 50 meters x 50 meters and of course you have the 50-meter circle from the goal posts.
There is no rule stipulating how the grass is cut in regard to measurements.
Where commentators get their information on this is anyone's guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the ridiculous checkside attempt by Joe on the run it cuts to Fagan on the bench and you can see a laptop behind him with a PowerPoint titled ‘Team Messages’ open.

Can anybody read what it says? I can only make out something about taking the first option.

After the ridiculous checkside attempt by Joe on the run it cuts to Fagan on the bench and you can see a laptop behind him with a PowerPoint titled ‘Team Messages’ open.

Can anybody read what it says? I can only make out something about taking the first option.

Team messages
  • Retain - Release - Smash In
  • Come Fwd/Chase
  • Snap & Locate - Help Side
  • Re-Enteries checklist
  • Launczone - Best Option I50

The three boxes below as messages for the backs (snap, squeeze, explode), mids (organised/balance, work rate, value the little things) and forwards (meeting place?, pressure, help?) are harder to read.

Last edited:
So Hippy cops a week for an iffy tackle and Butters gets off with a big fine for deliberately hitting Meek in the head off the ball. Christian stuffing up again, can't suspend a Brownlow favourite. So transparent with the double standards.
Christian does it every time and you can’t tell me it’s not a directive of the AFL to not suspend players they think will be at the pointy end of the Brownlow; it’s the second time it’s occurred this year. How the MRO isn’t independent and composing a panel that impartially decide outcome ma is beyond me. I know the reason; the AFL then couldn’t meddle and achieve certain outcomes to suit their narratives.

Not impressed with the sloppy fiddling around in the latter part of that quarter.

When is it ever a good idea to handball to a team-mate who is about to be tackled?

Especially in the back half.

We have an annoyingly bad habit of being totally in control and then gifting opportunities to the opposition

Back to the basics boys

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saw this in the game thread and had similar thoughts during the game. Don't get me wrong I thought it was a pretty good 4 quarter effort, but Richmond did score consecutive goals on a couple of occasions and I thought at the time we had got a bit cute.

Interestingly I came to the realisation that the chief protagonist of this cuteness (this and other weeks) is often Lachie Neale. It's almost like "doing the normal/basic thing" gets a bit boring for him and he tries to do something a bit too fancy and clever, it comes unstuck and the other mob go down the other end to kick a goal.

That 45⁰ infield kick in the wet against Geelong that missed everyone and left the entire open side of the field exposed for Geelong to transition for a goal was a perfect example of this. I'm yet to watch a replay of the Richmond game but I seem to recall a couple of similar moments (handballs from memory) in the middle quarters on Saturday night.

Obviously this didn't cost us at all in this particular game, but in such an even comp, moments like these can often result in 2 goal turnarounds, not to mention the ensuing momentum swings that affect results.

I guess the mindset I'd like to see us adopt with regards to our decision making is something along the lines of "what would we do if we're 15 points up midway through the 2nd quarter?" Not far enough in front to get clever or lazy, but also no need to panic or go outside the game plan. Just make cool, calm decisions with and without the ball.

Having said that, these moments were fleeting and we were able to correct our collective mindset quickly enough which was pleasing. Better opposition however will make it harder to do this however, which is why it's important not to fall into that trap in the first place. It happened big time against Carlton which proved fatal.

Back