Prediction Round 10, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

With Sheed, Gaff, Waterman, Barrass, Ryan, McGovern, Rotham, Cripps, Duggan, Cole, Darling, Yeo and Petch when they're not injured
And bring back Kennedy, Shuey, Schofield, Vardy, Venables and Hurn and that's a champion team right there....which should have been left back in 2018 - not in 2024
I'm sick of watching blokes who should have retired

I'm not usually one to whine about team selection but this is beyond ridiculous. How can Culley not even make the bench as the sub? Really doesn't incentivise players to put in the hard yards in the WAFL side.

Normally don't find it too hard to understand a selection, but last week Sheed statistically put in one of the worst performances of any player for any team this season with a -2 champion data ratings points:

1715930924803.png

To put that in context, that is the worst rating for any player for the entire round. Only 12 players out of every game played last round rated less than 0, and the only other two who were less than -1 (Pat Voss and Nick Larkey) were both key forwards in teams that got flogged.

The only reason I can think to retain him is that they liked what they saw AFTER half time, OR they'd replace him if they thought there was anyone who could come in. Clearly they don't think Culley is ready, who knows if Hall's wrist-brace meant he was unavailable, and Jonston is on managed minutes (only played 55% game time last week despite being subbed in early and being down on the bench in the second half). That leaves it to be Sheed vs Trew...and I think we all know Trew's papers are stamped...so he stays until Yeo is back, I guess...

Attachments

• 1715930548788.png
    1715930548788.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 26
I'm not usually one to whine about team selection but this is beyond ridiculous. How can Culley not even make the bench as the sub? Really doesn't incentivise players to put in the hard yards in the WAFL side.
I mean Simpsons response that he has only played one full game in the midfield is probably fair enough. They probably don't think Culley offers much flexibility to play as a sub.

Would be nice to see Johnston get a game, but happy to see Waterman back.

Don’t mind Jones playing forward of centre, either. Think our back 6 is as settled as it’s been for a while and we need some fluency up forward. I think he will help with that.

With the bigger bodies Melbourne have I’m not surprised we’ve kept Sheed in over Johnston. As unpopular as that is, throwing youngsters to the wolves isn’t as conducive to development as you would think. Only need to see North for that.

FWIW I think he’s the one that goes when Yeo is back.

Happy Dewar gets another game, and I’m really looking forward to seeing Reid stand Petracca at some point. Will also be curious to see how Ginbey goes- especially after his comments in the game last year about how much he learnt from the fitness of the dees.

Coach reckons Culley was playing HF in twos, just played a full game as midfielder and did ok. Says he needs another couple games as Wafl mid before AFL squad selection.
Guess that leaves Sheed as the only 'experienced' midfielder, as much as that sucks.

Dewar was lively, showed some spark, good to see him back.
Curious to see if JJ can deliver, coach says he needs to show consistency.
Ryan might crank up a notch?
The Trew omission is an enigma?

Good news is looks like we're storing up our ammo for the Saints+Roos games and come in almost fully loaded post bye.
Is it possible we could win at least 4 games post bye? Without getting ahead of ourselves?

Last edited:
Culley has only played one good WAFL game in the midfield so he doesn’t get a spot which I guess makes sense - Sheed providing pointing, standing the mark, and offering himself as the super short 10m away option simply can’t be displaced from the team.

Thought we were past this? Sheed offers absolutely nothing.
Talk about a career that has stalled/gone backwards.
First few years never looked like setting the world on fire but looked like becoming a solid supporting mid. Good second/third tier support but easily best 22. Even in a strong team.
Now, I wouldn't call him slow, that's being unkind to genuinely slow players. He's more glacial, witches hatty, motionless.

Not sure whether he's just gotten slower? totally lost confidence? had the game pass him by?
But he needs to find his mojo or admit his time has come and gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Jones and Waterman coming in we’ve gone with experience. Every uninjured player of the 20 we have 24 and over with the exception of Gaff has been selected (Yeo, Flynn, Allen and Petruccelle are all unavailable)

We should be able to give a good account of ourselves

Age @1/1:20 & Under21-2425-2829 & Over
List 198116
R15*666
R27*565
R375*65
R48*465
R57*475
R6738*5
R7558*5
R88*375
R98*384
R1072104

* Denotes the sub

I think try
Normally don't find it too hard to understand a selection, but last week Sheed statistically put in one of the worst performances of any player for any team this season with a -2 champion data ratings points:

View attachment 1991497

To put that in context, that is the worst rating for any player for the entire round. Only 12 players out of every game played last round rated less than 0, and the only other two who were less than -1 (Pat Voss and Nick Larkey) were both key forwards in teams that got flogged.

The only reason I can think to retain him is that they liked what they saw AFTER half time, OR they'd replace him if they thought there was anyone who could come in. Clearly they don't think Culley is ready, who knows if Hall's wrist-brace meant he was unavailable, and Jonston is on managed minutes (only played 55% game time last week despite being subbed in early and being down on the bench in the second half). That leaves it to be Sheed vs Trew...and I think we all know Trew's papers are stamped...so he stays until Yeo is back, I guess...
That may be true but trew has also just got over concussion that caused him to miss the last 2 weeks. He is probably not ready to play this week

Talk about a career that has stalled/gone backwards.
First few years never looked like setting the world on fire but looked like becoming a solid supporting mid. Good second/third tier support but easily best 22. Even in a strong team.
Now, I wouldn't call him slow, that's being unkind to genuinely slow players. He's more glacial, witches hatty, motionless.

Not sure whether he's just gotten slower? totally lost confidence? had the game pass him by?
But he needs to find his mojo or admit his time has come and gone.
He's actually got a long term foot stress/fracture thing that he has to manage (a bit like Hewett) so apart from being a Sheed in decline, he probably needs to build confidence in that dept, not that he'll ever get up to current AFL speed I imagine?

Board when the club brings Waterman back from injury 'too early'

images

Board when the club doesn't rush Culley back from an ACL injury

images

As frustrating as the slow approach is I am happy we are taking our time with injury/development of Culley, Hewett, Hall. As long as, come the end of the season, we get at least 4 or 5 games in a row of Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Ginbey, Hewett, Chesser and Culley/Hall as our midfield group. An outcome I personally think the club is working towards.

Astounding team selections.
Kelly, Reid, Ginbey our main midfielders... then Sheed, Chesser, Hunt and Ledwards?
Not awe-inspiring, but let's see what they can do after last week?
4th vs. 16th at home Sunday night, not expecting a win, but a solid contested effort, not a blow out would be a good thang!
Eyes on Harley, Ginbey, Jake, Big Jack, Ryan, Dewar, Hough and JJ...
The often maligned TK shoulders the load yet again..

Kelly, Reid, Ginbey our main midfielders... then Sheed, Chesser, Hunt and Ledwards?
Not awe-inspiring, but let's see what they can do after last week?
4th vs. 16th at home Sunday night, not expecting a win, but a solid contested effort, not a blow out would be a good thang!
Eyes on Harley, Ginbey, Jake, Big Jack, Ryan, Dewar, Hough and JJ...
The often maligned TK shoulders the load yet again..
Last 4 mentioned currently not afl standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back