Review Round 11, 2024 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we adjusted well in the third quarter to make sure we stayed on the defensive side to help stop the Hawthorn run but it just fell apart in the final quarter anyway. We had some desperation during that time.

I think it’s probably because Neale stopped playing like he had his own football and the rest of the team couldn’t bring their own contribution.

Really frustrating considering the exact same thing happened last year and we let them get a six goal lead before actually doing something about it.
Meek was out and we got on a run when Big O started taking over ruck against Nash. Too bad Meek came back in Q4 and it became an arm wrestle again.

Haha, looks premiership worthy atm. Can't weaken anything

No No No GIF

Now that the seasons overtime happyto move Zorko to the sub

wasted opportunities. Charlie waves his hands in the air when he’s missed going inside 50, then wastes the opportunities he gets.

Side point, but the garbage about not being able to beat them might be different if they’d come to the Gabba more than two times in 15 years.

Lachie must get sick of busting his guts and others too lazy to even chase or tackle properly .

I don’t normally bag my team but that effort by some was very ordinary .

We have enough good players to win most weeks , there has to be effort though .

This season done already , so disappointing .

Berry and Dunkley do well enough but McCluggage and especially Rayner always fall short for me.

I love Rayner but jeez he can’t seem to act with any defensive intent unless it’s a single effort chase and tackle. So many times looking at him over the past couple weeks has shown me that he just doesn’t do the hard work to get into spots where he can be effective defensively in the midfield. Always is about five metres behind running back from where he should be and then only turns on when it’s his man who got the ball ten metres ahead of him.

I said it a couple weeks ago but it would be great for him to have a couple of reserved games where he’s given high midfield minutes and needs to make those efforts. Right now it seems like he tries to conserve his energy to be able to make it through those midfield stints and is coming off half as effective.

Now that the seasons overtime happyto move Zorko to the sub
He's the only one who is playing the fast rebound game plan. Too bad Umpires had it for him today but he'd be one of the last ones to get pushed into sub.

For some reason I did. Same ol same ol. Dare I say we are cooked like I did after game 4 for fear of retribution 😬. I knew when we lost the GF that we would be in trouble this year. How it manifested was the only question really. The script ended up being 5 ACLs and what appears to be a lack of heart from our leaders. 🤷
You would have to be a masochist travel to Melbourne to watch a Lions Hawks game.

But unless we weaken the starting 22 it won't be any different
Weaken how? Have you looked at where we are on the ladder.

Rayner offers next to nothing, if he doesn't collect the ball first time on a rampage through a stoppage. And He's bordering on Lyons levels of lack of defensive run. And he's been caught holding the ball ore often this year, because his fend off isn't working as well for him any more.

We're f**king dysfunctional because one player just don't look he has a role out there, Rayner, and then we have some key players out of form in McCluggage and McKenna, and another who's injuries and possibly age is starting to catch up to him, in Cameron.

Team wide we have the yips with set shots, and McCluggage is scared as f**k to even take a shot on goal when he's open in the forward 50, with space and time.

Stated our season was done weeks ago.

I don't usually post until I have watched the replay, but my goodness our midfield really struggled at times against a non top 8 team. It is safe to say Hawkes have the wood over us. Payne had his hands full with Chol, although two of the goals laced out which no fullback is stopping, and slow Gunston was all over Harris.

Charlie's kicking was terrible, and I am still not sure how Cam got named one of our best against the 17th placed team last week, but that gives him a pass to just float along for the next few weeks. There has to be some accountability, and lets be clear two of our most dangerous forwards are only playing because Gardiner and Linc are injured. Time to blood some kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weaken how? Have you looked at where we are on the ladder.

Rayner offers next to nothing, if he doesn't collect the ball first time on a rampage through a stoppage. And He's bordering on Lyons levels of lack of defensive run. And he's been caught holding the ball ore often this year, because his fend off isn't working as well for him any more.

We're f**king dysfunctional because one player just don't look he has a role out there, Rayner, and then we have some key players out of form in McCluggage and McKenna, and another who's injuries and possibly age is starting to catch up to him, in Cameron.

Team wide we have the yips with set shots, and McCluggage is scared as f**k to even take a shot on goal when he's open in the forward 50, with space and time.

Yeah, youre right. If you're a bad team you can't play worse. Take a few deep breaths

The one effective sub we had so far has been Brain. Came on last week and got 8 disposals in a quarter. Here's your reward, dropped to 2s. Thank you very much.

I thought Brain was promising but he can in when we were up 100 and half those kicks didn’t come off because he was trying to pull off a lot of difficult ones. I thought it was fine because he was obviously trying to show what he has got but racking up eight halfback touches against that Richmond side isn’t exactly proven effectiveness.

I’d say he did have a positive impact against Adelaide though as the sub.

Didn't today. Give the responsibility to McKenna, Wilmot and Brain
McKenna looks like he has lost a yard of pace since he came back from injury. He also doesnt do long flat kicks. Runs and tries to create with overlapping handballs and dinky little kicks, never a long laser boot.

Wilmot defends well but I haven't seen him go for the pinpoint kicks yet. Long and high up, sure. Not sharp and flat like Zorko.

Brain is an unknown at this stage unless we give him a full game.

Zorko is all we have for that role until Coleman comes back. I thought Fletcher might be one but it seems like we've coached that out of him. One other option is Reville, lets see how long he manages to hang on to that skill.

Beginning to see the logic between three talls tbh. Teams are all over Joe every week and Hipwood doesn’t give us enough contested marking to get away with two
well Ryan I think had 3 disposals and one goal in three Q's. . Morris is young and plenty of upside but like most young players will struggle for consistently for the first year or so, but I would keep playing him over Cam as the third tall.

Meek was out and we got on a run when Big O started taking over ruck against Nash. Too bad Meek came back in Q4 and it became an arm wrestle again.

We already fought it back to 9 points by the time Meek got hurt. Both teams kicked a goal each from then until he came back on in the fourth.

Yeah, youre right. If you're a bad team you can't play worse. Take a few deep breaths
You don't actually provide a counter argument of where or how we could improve. Always just a one liner that doesn't contribute to any discussion.

Pretty much a Cam Rayner level of poster on this board.

McKenna looks like he has lost a yard of pace since he came back from injury. He also doesnt do long flat kicks. Runs and tries to create with overlapping handballs and dinky little kicks, never a long laser boot.

Wilmot defends well but I haven't seen him go for the pinpoint kicks yet. Long and high up, sure. Not sharp and flat like Zorko.

Brain is an unknown at this stage unless we give him a full game.

Zorko is all we have for that role until Coleman comes back. I thought Fletcher might be one but it seems like we've coached that out of him. One other option is Reville, lets see how long he manages to hang on to that skill.

Zorko also costs us goals with turnovers, frees and poor defending with a license to run off.

Also Zorko while improved still can’t defend. Ginnivan had a field day on him

You don't actually provide a counter argument of where or how we could improve. Always just a one liner that doesn't contribute to any discussion.

Pretty much the Cam Rayner level of poster on this board.

Yeah maybe I should go on a rant about how bad Rayner is. Not like there are dozens already on this board 😂

Back