Autopsy Round 12 vs GWS - what did you learn?

Remove this Banner Ad

I learnt that none of the following would get a game with GWS which is scary for us

Marsh
Mcglynn
Rose
Sinclair
Cunningham
Lloyd
McVeigh
When you are given a list that they got given, of course your bottom six couldn't match theirs. You could look at every bottom six of every team and say exactly the same thing when comparing them to GWS

Gws have mixed in the right players from other clubs with their draft picks

Their long term challenge is to keep the talent I guess.

I dont begrudge the concessions etc, they just got their list management spot on, but when they do win it is scary and stuff apparently

Good luck to them

Gws have mixed in the right players from other clubs with their draft picks

Their long term challenge is to keep the talent I guess.

I dont begrudge the concessions etc, they just got their list management spot on, but when they do win it is scary and stuff apparently

Good luck to them

This is true, but as we saw last year with Trelor they will continue to get well-rewarded draft wise as some of that talent wants to leave so their ability to keep rejuvenating their list is increased meaning they should have a more sustained chance of remaining highly competitive for longer. I think this, plus academy access to Riverina is what scares the Melbourne clubs most.

I think Nankervis would be a better replacement for Sinclair as a forward/2nd ruck, but Naismith is probably a better option as a 1st ruck replacement for Tippett. Depends what the coaches think about Sinclair as first ruck, i suppose? If they don't think he's up to it, then Naismith might get a run.
I think I'd play Nanka as 2nd ruck. Not the most mobile, but has a good skill set.

Big ruckman Max Gawn was dominant against the Pies yesterday. Midfielders Vince and Jones were amongst the best, and Hogan kicked three. Coach Paul Roos knows all about the SCG.

It would be a big mistake to take the Ds easily.

I learnt GWS can be a super slick outfit when they turn it on.

From the Swans perspective it was a poor performance as we constantly butchered the ball and seemed to be stuck in wet weather footy mode. The previous week's game in the monsoon had obviously taken a fair bit out of the players as they looked pretty flat across the park. Once Tippett went down we were always going to struggle and I thought our defensive effort deserves praise as we were still in the game at 3/4 time.

We all want to win every single game we play, but sometimes it's not a bad thing to lose a game like this as it takes the focus off your club and lumps the hype on to another club. We need to win enough games to be top 4, which we should do. If we can head in to the finals with a healthy list, we'll go a long way this year.

I had this game pencilled in as a loss even before the Gold Coast game, for no other reason than I had to find games we'd lose.

I didn't get to watch this game but everything I've heard tells a story. The collective subdued effort of the midfield, Tippet's injury, the free kick discrepancy, all point to tired legs struggling to keep up with the pace of the game. Like just about every side, we need the bye desperately. Papley, Hewett, and Richards returning after the bye will help but there will need to be some rotation of our younger brigade throughout the rest of the season.

I had this game pencilled in as a loss even before the Gold Coast game, for no other reason than I had to find games we'd lose.

I didn't get to watch this game but everything I've heard tells a story. The collective subdued effort of the midfield, Tippet's injury, the free kick discrepancy, all point to tired legs struggling to keep up with the pace of the game. Like just about every side, we need the bye desperately. Papley, Hewett, and Richards returning after the bye will help but there will need to be some rotation of our younger brigade throughout the rest of the season.
I think our biggest issue was the way we constantly bombed the ball long to no one in particular. Zak Jones received some praise for his performance, but he really pissed me off when he repeatedly broke out of defence, ran in to space, then blindly bombed the ball to an unmarked opponent. If he could fix that part of his game up he could become an extremely valuable runner for us.

The bye will definitely be welcome this season, although our record in games following a bye is not good.

I think our biggest issue was the way we constantly bombed the ball long to no one in particular. Zak Jones received some praise for his performance, but he really pissed me off when he repeatedly broke out of defence, ran in to space, then blindly bombed the ball to an unmarked opponent. If he could fix that part of his game up he could become an extremely valuable runner for us.

The bye will definitely be welcome this season, although our record in games following a bye is not good.

Yes but that again is a sign of a side with tired legs. Sensing a pressure that isn't really there (or could have been, again, I didn't watch). On a different day, you'd call it lazy. This week they can be forgiven.

1. Rose you need to convert your opportunities.
2. Why kick to 2 on 1's?? Even the park footballer knows this isn't on.
3. Someone should've hit Greene with a crutch to slow him down.
4. Annoyed my local had the league on the TV next to the big screen showing this game with the sound for the league. It's not as if there was another screen with the league on as well as another 10 TV's with it.

No question GWS on homeground are pretty formidable - and they did play well.

But, sooner or later, someone has to publicise the disgraceful treatment we get from the umpires. I call it "two way" umpiring - they penalise us at every opportunity AND they refuse to give us frees for blatant transgressions. In quarter 4, there was blatant deliberate kick out by Giants - been an obvious free all year - no,throw it in.

This game is all about possession and momentum. Umpiring is depriving us of both for extended periods. Even against pies, when they were long gone and worn out, they got 8 frees in a row in the 3rd quarter. Same on Sunday - from 1st quarter 10 minute mark - over next 30 minutes, there was a 10-1 free kick count against us. This is massive in a tight game.

Absolute fraud. This is our biggest risk against the better teams.

No question GWS on homeground are pretty formidable - and they did play well.

But, sooner or later, someone has to publicise the disgraceful treatment we get from the umpires. I call it "two way" umpiring - they penalise us at every opportunity AND they refuse to give us frees for blatant transgressions. In quarter 4, there was blatant deliberate kick out by Giants - been an obvious free all year - no,throw it in.

This game is all about possession and momentum. Umpiring is depriving us of both for extended periods. Even against pies, when they were long gone and worn out, they got 8 frees in a row in the 3rd quarter. Same on Sunday - from 1st quarter 10 minute mark - over next 30 minutes, there was a 10-1 free kick count against us. This is massive in a tight game.

Absolute fraud. This is our biggest risk against the better teams.

I did laugh at that. I hate the new interpretation but it's been all year, until Sunday night. It was extraordinary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I learned that it will be very difficult to get a home final, as GWS will wrap one up.
Their draw:
Essendon
Carlton
Collingwood
Brisbane
Port
Richmond
Gold Coast

I expect GWS will win all these, maybe Port at AO might give them a run for their money, but I doubt it.

Then comes:
West Coast (Homebush)
Fremantle
North

Should win these too.

This puts GWS on 18 wins.
Top two and home finals.

For us to get to 18 wins we need to win two of Dogs, Geelong and Hawthorn. This assumes we win all others (Melbourne, Carlton, Fremantle, Port, St Kilda, North in Tassie, and Richmond).

Geelong's draw:
Dogs
St Kilda
Sydney
Fremantle
Adelaide (Kardinia Park)
Dogs (Kardinia Park)
Essendon
Richmond
Brisbane
Melbourne

If they drop one only, they have 18 wins.

That loss to Richmond will really bite us on the arse.

PS Apologies if this has been covered earlier, I only read the first 6 pages.

I'd rather GWS be top two and we play "away" (in Sydney) if we face them &/or the other clubs have to travel to Sydney to face them/us instead of us having to go to Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne.

Knowing how the AFL works though, if we both make it to top 4 they'll "re-allocate" a game to Tassie (v. Hawthorn or North) as they wouldn't want to "oversaturate" the Sydney market.....

Not sure I understand this post, MarkP.

You're usually so articulate.

Posting on a phone with my nephews and nieces crawling over me. It had words in it that were English in origin. It was just I put them in a seemingly random order that makes no sense to me right now either! :p

The general gist is was we have so many damn rucks on the list we have to play them all over the field in the NEAFL and yet we find ourselves wondering who we can use to cover Tippett. Sort of frustrating none of them have come on enough or stand out enough to be either the main ruck in waiting or at the least a back up to Sinkers.

Posting on a phone with my nephews and nieces crawling over me. It had words in it that were English in origin. It was just I put them in a seemingly random order that makes no sense to me right now either! :p

The general gist is was we have so many damn rucks on the list we have to play them all over the field in the NEAFL and yet we find ourselves wondering who we can use to cover Tippett. Sort of frustrating none of them have come on enough or stand out enough to be either the main ruck in waiting or at the least a back up to Sinkers.
in sinkers we trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Back