Discussion Round 20, 2023: Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate how the Showdown jumpers aren't deemed to clash but the Western Derby / Q-Clash / Sydney Derby jumpers are. They are all on the same level of clashy-ness.
I think it’s probably a little less clashy than those instances just because we’re in a kit that’s not very colourful and the Crows have the bright red and gold that helps contrast, but I definitely agree that it should be a matchup where the away team wears a clash jumper.
Also ties into the PB debate a little bit too, if we were to get to wear the jumper twice a year it wouldn’t make sense for the away showdown to be one of them as it isn’t the best contrast.

How does Brisbane vs Gold Coast clash anyway? Brisbane wears their normal kit against the Swans, although admittedly they do have a lot of white on the front. But even still, with Brisbane wearing their Home jumper with White shorts it would arguably look better than wearing their clash kit. At least in my mind, the Red is the 'Light' and the Cerise is the 'Dark'

Gold-Coast-Uniform2023.png
Brisbane-Uniform2006W.png

Swans in white shorts?
Only against Gold Coast since last year unless circumstances dictate otherwise. Essendon have worn white shorts against the Swans when they're the away team in the past though. Most notably during that infamous final in 1996
af921e0f05e1d93688d2ca3cb6a174fc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they want to wear traditional jumpers then at least be smart and have Collingwood in the white shorts, no matter who is the home team.
Valid. I know that’s look a lot better with the current Nike jumpers that have such thick stripes but I do wonder how effective that’d be if Collingwood moved to a manufacturer who had thinner stripes.

Was never a fan of us changing our home jumper to predominant black (black with white stripes) when the decision was made in 2000/2001.

What should have happened tonight:

Collingwood-2021.gif

Carlton-Clash-2023.gif

The best combination:

Collingwood-1998.gif

Carlton-2023.gif
Pies v Cats gentleman's agreement v2?

Pies in white v Carlton should happen, if the AFL insists on 1 team in white shorts for all/most games, fine. But it cannot be Carlton when playing Collingwood.
I mean GWS have compromised vs Sydney even in Home games and it benefits the match up (and GWS financially surely).

Tonight was just unacceptable.

Lions need more white in their clash. Not only for the sake of the clash but also just for a more uniform and balanced look. White cuffs would improve the jumper greatly, and would make the white shorts actually look like they belong. I know side panels aren’t really a desired feature, but white side panels would really help with the clash too, from a distance the only thing with contrast in this Suns and Lions match is the white shorts.

Interesting to see the VFLW Grand Final has both teams in full home kits: Collingwood in home with black shorts, Port Melbourne in home (royal blue and red vertical stripes) with royal blue shorts.

Pies v Cats gentleman's agreement v2?

Pies in white v Carlton should happen
I believe the only impediment to this is Emirates contractual agreement to be the front jumper sponsor for all Collingwood home games. It would require a new set of white jumpers to be produced with Emirates on the front instead of KFC. Eddie McGuire was actually talking about doing this a few years back so not sure why it never happened.

Interesting to see the VFLW Grand Final has both teams in full home kits: Collingwood in home with black shorts, Port Melbourne in home (royal blue and red vertical stripes) with royal blue shorts.

White shorts aren’t a thing anymore in women’s footy so that match-up didn’t surprise me. It’ll be interesting to see if it makes things more clashy at AFLW level too – I can imagine Coll v Carl in all-dark kits will be a nightmare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back