Review Round 5, 2024 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t love that from Answerth either tbh. We were already beating them and Petty had like 2 possessions for the night. Gives him fuel for next time

I laughed my head off - loved out. Clinical demolitions are great and all, but go the one on one argy bargy, including a good sledge.. And that was a master sledge.

cought on camera to be replayed a zillion times with all the analysts jumping on tut-tuting.. I'm going to laugh every time.

Re it causing the opposition to fire up - they were so badly demolished a sledge isn't even going to touch their misery and fight back.

Last edited:
I’d be very hesitant to drop Answerth and Lohmann, both have been showing great intent which helps lift the team overall.

I love Ah Chee as a blanket rule, but he has seemed a bit off recently. Still think Gardiner might be the one that makes the most sense

Ah chee has had an awesome start to the season, but a quite night tonight.

As always in this situation I think minor injury or awesome opponent. So, this week ... definitely suspect an injury.

I said he was great tonight.
Nah, you mentioned he was great tonight, but quickly went on to not only say this is how good he should be every week, but he should be even better than this. That's virtually saying he wasn't good enough tonight. Then you doubled down by pointing out every player you thought was better than him.

I guess that's the best your ego can let you do in terms of a backflip. Fair enough.

Ah chee has had an awesome start to the season, but a quite night tonight.

As always in this situation I think minor injury or awesome opponent. So, this week ... definitely suspect an injury.
I actually didn't mind Ah Chee's game tonight. I thought he and others made lots of good decisions with the ball. And often that was simply to do the basic things like take the tackle to get a ball up, or manhandle the contest out of bounds. Little things like that where in the past we would sometimes play on at all costs, sometimes to our detriment.

Just got in then. Rayner was great tonight, especially early. He did fade later in the game, but let’s be real. Midfielder gets 25 disposals is hardly the story of the year. I say again - he was great tonight, but he needs to do that and THEN SOME every week. It would be embracing a culture of low expectations if we were now to proclaim CAM RAYNER CAN WALK ON WATER!

Having been at the game, I would rate Dunkley, Berry, Zorko, Bailey, Cameron and McCluggage above him.

In fact I’ve never been happier to eat HUMBLE PIE, than I am after Berry’s game tonight. He was absolutely AMAZING! He was a tackling machine and his second and third efforts were so courageous. I think he was just about our best. Good for him!

Right, but do we know for a fact Cam Rayner CANT walk on water?

Loved tonights game. Awesome performance, just solid all night. It was great the melbourne got pinned for incorrect disposal/holding the ball so many times. That’s pressure footy and strong tackling.

Had great seats too - towards the back of the lower deck, so could watch it live, but then see the coverage on a screen a few rows in front of us. Good for my aging eyes…

Lester is starting to look like a bit of a weapon.

Who woulda thunk.
I TIPPED THAT! Lester is a gun. Amazing aerobic capacity and demonstrated great gut running. Some heroic saves tonight. At the game and he directed traffic all night. I am so pleased others are now seeing what I have always seen.

I hope Fages doesn't even raise the Answerth thing internally. IMO its a good thing and shows a bit of a pep in our step and that our energy is back. There were a lot of those little things tonight which gives a good sign of where we're at mentally as a team.

Not worth raising - three players over an extended period have had a shot at him. Pretty sure they aren't doing that in a vacuum. Maybe if he wasn't a ... he wouldn't cop that rubbish.

I hope Fages doesn't even raise the Answerth thing internally. IMO its a good thing and shows a bit of a pep in our step and that our energy is back. There were a lot of those little things tonight which gives a good sign of where we're at mentally as a team.

If anything, I think it’ll just be a “maybe don’t make it so obvious next time idiot” lmao

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, you mentioned he was great tonight, but quickly went on to not only say this is how good he should be every week, but he should be even better than this. That's virtually saying he wasn't good enough tonight. Then you doubled down by pointing out every player you thought was better than him.

I guess that's the best your ego can let you do in terms of a backflip. Fair enough.
I think Dunkley, Berry, Cameron and McCluggage were better, but I’ll say a fourth time, RAYNER WAS GREAT TONIGHT.

I think Dunkley, Berry, Cameron and McCluggage were better, but I’ll say a fourth time, RAYNER WAS GREAT TONIGHT.

Lot’s of Fagan’s pets had a good game. Thoughts?

dunkley maybe
berry youre pushing it
charlie and clug no way
Berry was huge on the wing. 23 disposals and 8 tackles. He terrorised the Melbourne ball carriers.

Lot’s of Fagan’s pets had a good game. Thoughts?
They did, as 3KZ junior remarked during the game, all of our lesser players are standing up. Couldn’t be happier.

That #9 fella for us goes alright.

The guy that the VFL experts never mention when they are musing about the best players in the game.

Apparently has played 250 games and picked up 2 Browlows in his spare time
Would have 3 but for a shameful AFL process that saw Cripps let off for what would have been a 2 or more game suspension.

I’ll leave the detailed write ups to everyone else, but as has been said already was just a great team performance. Everyone played their role for the most part, even Oscar had a good first quarter against Gawn which really helped lay the groundwork for the midfield.

Rayner great in the middle, Berry good defensive efforts, Zorko and Wilmot damaging off half back, Lohmann another good game. Charlie back to his best. I also think giving Eric the proper centre half forward role was a great idea, gets him in the contest more early.

Genuinely have no idea what the selectors will do when McKenna is back, hard to find a weak point anywhere on the ground. I guess Gardiner drops just because he’s kind of superfluous? But then you’d be hesitant to move Rayner forward again off the back of tonight’s performance, so maybe it’s Zorko forward and we roll with a smaller forward line?
One thing is for certain NOBODY IS COMING IN FOR LESTER! He is an INSPIRATION.

Wow that was a great win. VIC supporters I hope you enjoyed it at the game. I haven't seen him mentioned, but have to give props to Motty, that boy tries his heart out, and gives us some great run off the back line. With Kiddy and McKenna out he's really tried to fill that void.

Bailey is so frustrating, if he just executed 50% of what he was trying to do he'd be elite. I'm still not sold on Dizzy in the forward line, but what he has provided is some good defensive grunt.

Apart from 3-4 minutes in the 4th that was a really well executed game, great intensity and really team-focused play. Let's back it up with a big home win next week and we are back in the hunt.

Back