Review Round 9, 2024 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For such a skilled player McCluggage makes some dreadful errors at critical times. After his massive turnover in the second quarter which caused a goal it was unbelievable that he would try the same kick again late in the last. That really cost us the game along with McKenna’s brain fade when he turned it over too.
He’s really not a player who should be getting or is worthy of a $1M+ year. Obviously he will but he ain’t no mil a season player. He’s definitely a good player who I rate,but gees he’d want to lift his output if he gets that type of dough.

Moving on to Hipwood he actually tries hard but again has skill deficiencies.

He generated enough opportunities for himself to have a fair enough game but just didn't finish it off.

Nonetheless he's the best we have at present for his position ,which is a hard one to play, but he's a frustrating player to watch.

Is he ever going to get much better ? It's possible.

Without being to harsh given he’s coming off two hammies, I do wonder how committed McKenna is to getting the best out of himself playing AFL footy. He’s obviously already gone home once, but I remember an article from last year and the vibe I got from it was he was pretty keen to get home again as soon as his career was done, which I don’t believe will be well into his 30s like other players.

He obviously signed the one year deal originally and then left it late last year to take the 2 year offer up. I’m wondering if he only stuck around after we got so close last year, he thought he might snag a flag before he goes back. If that is his mentality (and it may not be), but if it is it would be hard to be as committed to the cause as perhaps he should be.
It was pretty evident that he’s MO for coming back was a flag ans he openly states that he want to win an All Ireland AFL flag and replicate Tagdh and he was great last year but I agree, he looks a guy that realises our window may be gone and probably like a few thought we’d turn up this year and naturally push again but now that that ain’t happening, he can’t be effed. He looks a pretty cold sort of fella and I to could see him up and leave at the drop of a hat.

I just rewatched the last couple of minutes.

Honestly ,does he have something wrong with his eyes ?

Was there to win the game unopposed and put both hands up together and naturally the ball bounced off.

He lacks skill. That's the biggest issue. Why on earth we don't get him in the stoppages of which there were plenty where he can use his best asset ,his strength and burst.

I'm just done with him now . He hardly ever chases. Overrated.
Ref your comment re "eyes". I'm no optometrist [a family member is] I've had the opinion for some time now that Rayner may well have an eyesight problem. He so regularly fumbles even simple receives that it's a logical conclusion.

I'm not sure Charlie's foot is right. He skews most of his set shots and can't kick it more than 40 yards . But he was good today ,got up the ground and helped out , he and Ah Chee worked well together.

I'm not worried about Payne's disposal . He tried some things that just didn't quite come off . But overall he is starting to show the elite qualities he showed at the start of last year. His extra height really worried Tex today. Fwiiw I think Payne will be a real gun if we can stay inside his head and tell him to keep going for it.

Ref your comment re "eyes". I'm no optometrist [a family member is] I've had the opinion for some time now that Rayner may well have an eyesight problem. He so regularly fumbles even simple receives that it's a logical conclusion.
The ball's been bouncing off his chest ever since he got here.

It's inconceivable that that keeps happening without some eyesight problem imo. Most under 12's can take those.

It was pretty evident that he’s MO for coming back was a flag ans he openly states that he want to win an All Ireland AFL flag and replicate Tagdh and he was great last year but I agree, he looks a guy that realises our window may be gone and probably like a few thought we’d turn up this year and naturally push again but now that that ain’t happening, he can’t be effed. He looks a pretty cold sort of fella and I to could see him up and leave at the drop of a hat.
Watch him closely today McIvor.

He's underdone and his disposal was a metre or two off. But he ran really hard to make contests and tried desperately to give us some run , was really excited at a couple of goals when he was in the vicinity

I think your comments on him are wrong . People are way too hard on him 2 games in.

He’s really not a player who should be getting or is worthy of a $1M+ year. Obviously he will but he ain’t no mil a season player. He’s definitely a good player who I rate,but gees he’d want to lift his output if he gets that type of dough.

McCluggage deserves >$1m/year in the current market, he’s a top 30-40 player. Salary caps are growing

Our small men were excellent but our big men(excluding Payne and Andrews) were atrocious. Oscar got worse the further the game went, Eric just isn't impacting the game and Joe is the most selfish player i've seen. We can't progress when our forwards won't chase, tackle, or pressure.
Personally I'd be dropping Hippy, Joe and Rayner and putting the line in the sand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our small men were excellent but our big men(excluding Payne and Andrews) were atrocious. Oscar got worse the further the game went, Eric just isn't impacting the game and Joe is the most selfish player i've seen. We can't progress when our forwards won't chase, tackle, or pressure.
Personally I'd be dropping Hippy, Joe and Rayner and putting the line in the sand.
And bring in ?

The ball's been bouncing off his chest ever since he got here.

It's inconceivable that that keeps happening without some eyesight problem imo. Most under 12's can take those.
I’m not so sure. The U12’s I coach lost by 5 points today and we dropped some sitters.

I just rewatched the last couple of minutes.

Honestly ,does he have something wrong with his eyes ?

Was there to win the game unopposed and put both hands up together and naturally the ball bounced off.

He lacks skill. That's the biggest issue. Why on earth we don't get him in the stoppages of which there were plenty where he can use his best asset ,his strength and burst.

I'm just done with him now . He hardly ever chases. Overrated.
Fagan’s massive blind spot regarding Rayner just makes him look silly now.

can’t find it online but just watched First Crack and they showed enough examples that we lost the game and it was our senior players that lost it. Also showed numerous examples of Joe burning teammates on multiple occasions to the team’s detriment. Hard to argue with anything they said but pretty clear we threw two points away today.

Even that play where Dawson got the final point they highlighted that when Jaspa threw it on the boot, Collingwood players would have just bottled it in and that we don’t know how to play or lock in close games. We don’t and haven’t for years and is either another flaw of a Fagan or the team is still really dense and not doing what Fagan is asking.

Really rammed home how we honestly are our own worst enemy and I don’t know how people can say otherwise unless they’re wearing rose coloured glasses.

can’t find it online but just watched First Crack and they showed enough examples that we lost the game and it was our senior players that lost it. Also showed numerous examples of Joe burning teammates on multiple occasions to the team’s detriment. Hard to argue with anything they said but pretty clear we threw two points away today.

Even that play where Dawson got the final point they highlighted that when Jaspa threw it on the boot, Collingwood players would have just bottled it in and that we don’t know how to play or lock in close games. We don’t and haven’t for years and is either another flaw of a Fagan or the team is still really dense and not doing what Fagan is asking.

Really rammed home how we honestly are our own worst enemy and I don’t know how people can say otherwise unless they’re wearing rose coloured glasses.
Honestly the effort's been there the last couple of weeks.

We've had a mental flaw under pressure for some time.

Hard to blame Jaspa. We had a soda handed to us near the end and completely fluffed it.

I just don't think we're as good as we think we should be at the moment. But we tried hard today.

Honestly the effort's been there the last couple of weeks.

We've had a mental flaw under pressure for some time.

Hard to blame Jaspa. We had a soda handed to us near the end and completely fluffed it.

I just don't think we're as good as we think we should be at the moment. But we tried hard today.
Of course we tried and we are to be commended given our injuries but they showed numerous examples when we were three goals up where we screwed the pooch and it was our senior players and inability to contain or lock it in when Jaspa just blasts it out haphazardly to Dawson who scored the point. Of course we should’ve scored anything after that which again like late against Carlton we make dumb decisions when a point will do and don’t try to be too perfect.

Being at the Melbourne game and watching Rayner destroy them in the first quarter playing in the middle then not getting the same opportunities in the middle since is perplexing. He is a bull so use him to win clearances.
He plays a had full of decent games a year if we are lucky, but what we saw today is Rayner’s “default setting.”

After what we endured 7 days ago, and heading to the Crows, who, despite what it says on paper have been better than their win/loss would suggest - I'll take the draw. It's a sucky way to end a game, no doubt.

Really impressed with the youngsters, all showing glimpses on the big stage so that is a real positive.

Bit flat right now though I have to admit

Oscar isn't having a good year, but is far better than Fort and I don't think any of the future rucks are anywhere near ready to take #1 ruck duties.

Hipwood had an almost game - I'd argue he definitely impacted in periods, he just didn't finish his work. If he converts those opportunities then that's a solid game. He cops a lot of flack for his finishing (rightfully so) but I think he has been doing a bit more of the tough stuff than he gets credit for.

Joe was pretty good in the second half, I thought. Was involved regularly (9 score involvements) and had a presence. Did his usual mix of dumb/brilliant things.

Today was one of the poorer games I've seen from Rayner and I think he could do with a spell to get his hands on the ball more. We need to find a way to get him involved like in the Melbourne game (which were mostly stoppage clearances - something we could've used help with today). So I'm not necessarily against that one.

But the tl;dr of the above is who are you bringing in to replace Joe and Hippy? We've already got Morris in that forward line learning, we've lost McCarthy as a marking option and Charlie is out of form. I thought the forward line functioned surprisingly well today given our outs, helped by an excellent performance by Ah Chee, and while our pressure was up and down we brought the heat in the last and gave ourselves every chance to win.

Our team doesn't get the same treatment from the umps that team's like Collingwood get. If we'd locked it in we would likely get pinged holding the ball

Back