Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Queue King_Tredrea to inform us on how Burton is actually a terrible player...

We need to find a way to get it in his hands a bit more, but it seems he's often given the difficult lockdown role...

Burton's 2022 was outstanding. Should've been higher than the 9th he came in the B&F.

Looking forward to his continued progression. He and Houston are critical to our back half.
Outstanding and he finished 9th. I get that you think he should have finished higher but that suggests serviceable since he’s been here as the other poster mentioned.
I’m looking forward to him progressing too. He’s a neat footballer but where is he, like a lot of our players, when the heat is truly on?

Mckenzie is serviceable
Clurey is serviceable
Our captain is
Even if he was, that’s not saying much. He’s been excellent in a few games, shithouse in a few games and serviceable in most games.
Sorry, but that has to be the crappiest summary of a player ever!

OK, so he hasnt won a Brownlow, move on.

I think we did ok out of trade, looking back.
We crashed our Ferrari into a tree and then traded it for two Toyota Corollas. Going forward we'll probably end up getting more value out of the Corollas, but the actual winning move was not to crash the Ferrari in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How exactly did we crash our Ferrari?
You don't remember the guy who had two AA's and a B&F by the end of his fourth season?

If somebody had told you at the end of 2015 that in just a few year's time we'd be trading Chad Wingard for a pretty good halfback and a fringe wingman, you'd have thought they were mental.

Think he’s a good player , pretty much a lock in the best 22 suggests he is .
sometimes I think he could be a bit more attacking and drift up for a long ping at goal more often .
He seems to be content with more of a shutdown role , he does that well though can take a small or a third tall and usually finds the mark with his kicking which really is imperative.
That was my knock on Dougal , he could get the ball well and spoil well but hitting targets not so .

Trading Wingard wasn't one of them. Allowing Wingard to deteriorate to the point where we needed to trade him was.

Wingard isn't blameless but the club isn't blameless. What you've described doesn't happen at good clubs. Dustin Martin looked like going the way that Wingard ended up going at around the same point in his career, now he has a Brownlow and three Norm Smith medals.
No you’re right, Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond, etc never let players drift and always get the best out of them.

It’s a two way street, club isn’t blameless but the player needs to want to strive to improve and be at their best. Say what you will about Boak’s talent and abilities, no one can deny he has given everything to keep himself in peak condition and searched for the extra edge. Ebert the same. Robbie, Jonas, Neade, etc etc - plenty of players have worked hard to get the best out of themselves at the same club that wingard was at. Wingard didn’t towards the end of his time at Port. I’m sure we handle him differently if we had the time over but I’m not sure Chad changes. A HBF and a winger who are both best 22, for a good mid/HFF, that’s a win.

Chad was still a very good player for us in the latter years, even if not reaching the heights he had promised to previously. He was traded 1) for off field reasons and 2) as part of a concerted strategy to buy the regime time. The fact that it worked out ok in the end was dumb luck more than anything else.
Burton was already a recognised jet, and we were getting a first rounder in maybe the best draft of all time, certainly top 2.

Wingard peaked 5 years before he was traded.

Can seriously play, however to me looks impeded by his knee, seems to be unable to get low at full speed Or turn quickly For fear of snapping a hammy.

still our best lockdown defender.

who knows how good he could be without a dodgy knee or hammies

Ryan Burton will look super smooth in the prison bars in round 3.

Shoot Your Shot Flirt GIF by Milk-Bone

There’s no way Wingard would come back to Port. None.

I’m any case, Burton has fit in perfectly to the club and seems very settled here. Good result for us all round.

Even if he was, that’s not saying much. He’s been excellent in a few games, shithouse in a few games and serviceable in most games.

That's wank. He doesn't stand out because he's in a less sexy position as a 3rd tall. Would be in the tier below AA in his position in the same way SPP was a gun in the defensive small forward position last year. Wingard's been nothing more than a solid player with dashes of brilliance at Hawthorn. Burton has been better than that (but in a less valuable position) so as to more or less even out. He'll play more games at Port than Wingard will at Hawthorn and wins the trade without Duursma being added. Ryan Burton is the sort of player that ends up being around 14-22nd in a premiership side. Sure they don't stand out, but they're one of the better players going around at what they do.

That's wank. He doesn't stand out because he's in a less sexy position as a 3rd tall. Would be in the tier below AA in his position in the same way SPP was a gun in the defensive small forward position last year. Wingard's been nothing more than a solid player with dashes of brilliance at Hawthorn. Burton has been better than that (but in a less valuable position) so as to more or less even out. He'll play more games at Port than Wingard will at Hawthorn and wins the trade without Duursma being added. Ryan Burton is the sort of player that ends up being around 14-22nd in a premiership side. Sure they don't stand out, but they're one of the better players going around at what they do.
You rate him higher than me. That’s ok. I’m looking for guys that get it done in finals. He’s had a few mates. His last final he got called out by media for a couple of efforts. I’ve read him being called jet and gun on here. I haven’t heard or read those terms describing him anywhere else. I’ll stick to serviceable until I see him perform like I’d want a Port player to perform.

14th-22nd?

If we had 13 players better than Ryan Burton we would probably set a new record for consecutive premierships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back