News Ryan Griffen

Remove this Banner Ad

Bz9pmDOCMAER7H6.jpg:large

Hmm - Then we give 4+6 to St Kilda for #1.
That fits their strategy.

We have squillions of mids, why trade up to pick a player we don't need?

No trades no more. We have 3 great picks. KPF Wright at 4, KPD Lever at 6, good player at 7.
Three players in uncontested positions more chance of keeping some.
Melbourne love Brayshaw. One of McCartin or Wright should be at 4.
We got Patfull, Griffen and Steele - two players that play in Petracca's position.

Despite all the animosity between our boards in the last few days, Griff will be absolutely huge for you guys. Is right in his peak and an absolute star, side stepping and bursting through packs to deliver it onto someone's (not Boyd :p) chest time and time again. His back injury was blown out of proportion, still had a solid year last year and should be healthy for you guys next season, has plenty of good footy left. Surprisingly bad set shot for goal though as he runs at an angle and kicks it around a corner but obviously not much of an issue.

I'm glad we reached a deal and both got what we want, can't wait to have a another fiery, physical game with you guys next year. Great rivalry we have building. Until next time...

Despite all the animosity between our boards in the last few days, Griff will be absolutely huge for you guys. Is right in his peak and an absolute star, side stepping and bursting through packs to deliver it onto someone's (not Boyd :p) chest time and time again. His back injury was blown out of proportion, still had a solid year last year and should be healthy for you guys next season, has plenty of good footy left. Surprisingly bad set shot for goal though as he runs at an angle and kicks it around a corner but obviously not much of an issue.

I'm glad we reached a deal and both got what we want, can't wait to have a another fiery, physical game with you guys next year. Great rivalry we have building. Until next time...

Lots of people on here want Petracca but aren't he and Griffen similar? Tackle breaking mids. What do you think?

Wow, we must really be rivals already. When we conducted a civilised trade with the Lions, we were inundated with pages of well wishers praising Patfull as a player.
We get Griffen, just Maddog 37 and Doggies 7 have nice things to say about their captain and AFL Ratings number 5 player.
Must be feeling ripped off or bitter.
Still feels almost as good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of people on here want Petracca but aren't he and Griffen similar? Tackle breaking mids. What do you think?

I think you can definitely have multiple Griff's in your team, that wouldn't be a problem, but I think Petracca might be a little more in the Robbie Gray /Dustin Martin mould. Besides, Petracca will play more half forward / wing for his first few years you'd imagine, and take over in the middle when Griff is slowing in a few years.

Dogs fans always talked about Griff becoming a really good half back flanker in his 30's with his size, foot skills and burst speed. That could be a good role for him in a few years time.

I think you can definitely have multiple Griff's in your team, that wouldn't be a problem, but I think Petracca might be a little more in the Robbie Gray /Dustin Martin mould. Besides, Petracca will play more half forward / wing for his first few years you'd imagine, and take over in the middle when Griff is slowing in a few years.

Dogs fans always talked about Griff becoming a really good half back flanker in his 30's with his size, foot skills and burst speed. That could be a good role for him in a few years time.

Thanks Doggies 7. I have heard that halfback thing. Might get more years out of him than thought.

Tomlinson plays wing, initially Steele plays NEAFL and Sunshine gets a chance to arm wrestle for a forward spot..
So who misses the 22 when Petracca gets picked? That's what I can't see the point of.

Wow, we must really be rivals already. When we conducted a civilised trade with the Lions, we were inundated with pages of well wishers praising Patfull as a player.
We get Griffen, just Maddog 37 and Doggies 7 have nice things to say about their captain and AFL Ratings number 5 player.
Must be feeling ripped off or bitter.
Still feels almost as good.

Haha well Patfull was more expected and amicable from both sides. I think our president and your CEO set the attitudes from both sides from the start. FWIW I haven't seen too many Giants fans with too many nice things to say about Boyd ;)

Haha well Patfull was more expected and amicable from both sides. I think our president and your CEO set the attitudes from both sides from the start. FWIW I haven't seen too many Giants fans with too many nice things to say about Boyd ;)

True. But he don't have the years under the belt Griffen does. He has 9 largely underwhelming games. And is a mislead traitorous Mummy'sBoyd.... you get the drift. Lions do love Patfull though. One of the reasons I maintain he is more important overall to our team. Real weakness at KPD.

Well done on securing Griffen. One of my favourite players over the last 10 years. He is an absolute jet and is pure quality. He doesn't give in and brings other players into the game. I had a mate who nick named him "backs himself" because that's exactly what he does. This is a huge signing for your club. I'm gutted to see him go and even more gutted about the circumstances.

It's going to be hard watching Ward and Griff shrug tackles and winning contests for you guys next year.

Congrats on making us pay overs too. Griff has been hugely underrated in all reporting. When he did play this year he was definitely still in 2013 AA form. Has lost nothing and has 4 years left easy. Hopefully our clubs continue their good trading relationship into the future.

Google Griffen's highlights. Go on. Treat yourself.

Well done on securing Griffen. One of my favourite players over the last 10 years. He is an absolute jet and is pure quality. He doesn't give in and brings other players into the game. I had a mate who nick named him "backs himself" because that's exactly what he does. This is a huge signing for your club. I'm gutted to see him go and even more gutted about the circumstances.

It's going to be hard watching Ward and Griff shrug tackles and winning contests for you guys next year.

Congrats on making us pay overs too. Griff has been hugely underrated in all reporting. When he did play this year he was definitely still in 2013 AA form. Has lost nothing and has 4 years left easy. Hopefully our clubs continue their good trading relationship into the future.

Google Griffen's highlights. Go on. Treat yourself.

Bid a 3rd rounder for Frost and our 40 :)

But we lose Boyd.

They missed their opportunity to get him last year. HE IS OURS NOW.

Get it into your head - Boyd for Griffen was LAST YEAR and it wasn't Boyd for Griffen, it was Pick 1 for Griffen. The Dogs could have gone the Richmond way and drafted Richard Tambling. But they didn't.

12 months on and the situation has changed quite significantly. Both at our club and the dogs.

WE ARE NOT GIVING UP TOM BOYD.
:p:D:D:D:D:D

At least you did squeeze every last drop of value out of it though!

It's going to be a very interesting next 10 years between Dogs and Giants. I fully expect you to pass us next year, but 2016 onwards should be close years at the current rates if development. Sounds cliched, a win win trade in my opinion.
No one knows the contract details for Boyd, negotiated terms and conditions could significantly reduce the risk from a bulldogs perspective. It's sounds massive, but it was always a part of the plan, and close to what any other Vic club would have paid next year.

Great deal for GWS...getting a gun mid who is a senior player which was needed, pick 6 AND only having to pay 2/3 of Griffens salary...for a player who wanted out anyway.

Fair point about the lack positive comments for Mr Boyd, but admittedly he didn't exactly set the world on fire in his first year.

I did take a look at his highlights reel on your club website and remembered he did do a few classy things throughout the season - he definitely has an upside. He was quite good in the Geelong game, and he almost won it for us - (I was sitting behind the goal posts on that evening, and he looked much more effective live than he did on the highlights reel).

On a side note, that intro clip which the doggies use at the start of their videos with the new logo is pretty damn awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back