Delisted Sam Crocker

Remove this Banner Ad

DT=$92,500 SC=$103,600
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/101749/default.aspx

Height: 178cm
Weight: 71kg
DOB: 12/03/92
Club: Oakleigh Chargers (Vic)
Kevin Sheehan says: Midfielder who can play forward and use his excellent disposal to set up goals. Quick and strong overhead for his size, he also makes good decisions with the football.

Crocker played in the TAC Cup for the Oakleigh Chargers in 2009 and 2010. He played 13 games for the Chargers in 2010, averaging 19.7 disposals and 4.3 marks per game. He ranked first at the club for average effective long kicks, second for inside 50s (4.6 average) and third for effective kicks.

Sam was taken by St Kilda with the 43rd selection in the 2010 National AFL Draft.

What type of player are you?
I'm a small/medium player who can run and break the lines with speed. I kick the ball long and accurately. Good decisions and strong marking for a small are key aspects of the game.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?

Luke Hodge. I feel that I kick the ball like Hodgey and make good decisions like he does. I reckon my game style is similar to his in terms of courage and marking, also similar work rate and roles played.

What are your strengths as a footballer?

My number one strength is my kicking penetration, accuracy and distance. I find that my marking for a small is very good and my run and carry resulting in broken lines is good.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?

I would like to improve my physical presence around a contest. I would also like to be more damaging around the contest.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/110586/default.aspx

1 April 2011

Thanks for reading my blog!

Monday

With the Saints this week playing another Friday night game, our week started off very similar to last week, however we had the addition of the game review from the Geelong match, which was a really interesting experience for me to be involved with.

After lunch we all prepared for training. As it was the first training of the week the group was doing different things, with some players only doing light touch but others doing a more physical training session. Straight after the track we went inside to do a leg weights session.

When training was finished we went through the Sandringham practice match from last week against Frankston with Development Coaches Paul Huddson and Danny Ryan to review our performances. Huddo then took us through our own personal game and we got to see specific video edits from the weekend which we analysed and discussed. It was a really good way to visually see the different elements of the game and also look into our decision making while under pressure.

Earlier in the day I did a sneaky swap and moved Tommy Walsh’s favourite jacket from his locker and put it in Tom Ledger’s locker (as they are next to each other). The best bit was Ledge wore the jacket during the week, and when Tommy noticed he was not happy. Lesson for you all - don’t make a 90kg Irish man angry!

Tuesday

Tuesday was our first work day of the week. I am currently working for my dad’s distribution company helping pack and sort out stock for sending and delivery.

After working until mid afternoon I made my way into the Club for a massage and then had off-legs training with the Development Group, which was focused on goal kicking. Following this we had a light weights and bike session and I then left the Club at around 7:30pm.

Wednesday

The day started with an upper body weights session, followed by an appointment with the Club physio.

After lunch the group met and set out our goals for the main training session in the afternoon. Everyone was really focused and the intensity of the session definitely stepped up a level.

The Development Group met again after training and we started to discuss this weekend’s first VFL match for Sandringham

Thursday

Similar to Tuesday, Thursday was my second day of work for the week with my dad.

Later that afternoon we went to Moorabbin and I had another massage before touch with the boys. Following training we went to Sandringham to chat with the group there about our game on Saturday and also went through the team plan and possible key matchups.

Friday

Today I will be working again in the morning (dad is a hard boss!) and then in the afternoon I will just prepare for tomorrow’s game.

One of the things the Club teaches us is to find a pre-match routine that works for you, so I will make sure I stretch and hydrate during the day and generally relax. I may go for a walk later this afternoon to get my body moving and will make sure I eat well tonight to give my body energy for the game tomorrow.

Of course I will also watch tonight’s game - really pleased for Daniel Archer to be debuting tonight and think it will be a really good game.

Go Saints!

Sam #9

Sam "Crock" Crocker" #9

It was probably always going to be a difficult year for the slightly built Crocker - who weighs 71kg (wearing a tracksuit, helmet and blundstones).

He played 4 VFL games (avergaing 13 possessions) and 5 VFL reserves games (avergaing 19 possessions) before an early end to the season for shoulder surgery - strangely around the time that the photo below was taken.

Without doubt he is one of the most punishing kicks of the ball that I have seen for someone of his size. To see him kick the ball 55m into a stiff breeze at a reserves game was a sight to behold.

But he has quite a number of areas to work on in order to ensure this weapon is fully utilised.

Even for VFL (where there are quite a few mature types running aound) he was undersized, and he'll need to put some bulk on quickly - without losing any pace. This will help is ability to ride out tackles, and also to lay a few more.

Understandably he is one-sided, and will need to learn how to get onto his left in different ways (and not be so predictable in how he goes about it).

I'm looking forward to seeing him after his second pre-season. Hopefully he can get the fitness base that will allow him to get into space and start thrilling the crowd with some massive roosts from outside 50.

267461_10150216928843183_79666748182_7281590_5447708_n.jpg

#9 Sam "Crock" Crocker

Whilst Crock only played the 9 VFL games this year (4 seniors averaging 13 possessions and 5 reserves averaging 20 possessions), he was always going to take time.

He looked incredibly undersized at the pre-season games, and it wasn't until he got his first kick in space that I realised why he got a relatively high guernsey number.

One of the most piercing kicks of the footy that I’ve seen. Able to kick like Stewie Dew even though he weighs about as much as one of Dew’s thighs.

In a reserves game he kicked the ball 60m into a stiff breeze, when others were struggling to kick 40m.

Unfortunately his build didn’t allow him the luxury of barrelling into congestion to win his own ball, or taking contested marks, and be able exploit his deadly left boot.

He also will need to learn some tricks in being able to get onto his left without doing the stock-standard U turn (that becomes a bit predictable). A high workrate will also go a long way to helping him find space.

His season ended early with a shoulder injury, but hopefully this has allowed him time to focus on the gym and being able to stuff 8 meals a day into his body (equivalent to a mid-afternoon snack at the Dew household).

Looking forward to seeing a much greater output in 2012, and some real excitement off half back (including taking a few shots at goal from outside 50).

SAM CROCKER

VFL Senior Games: 7
VFL Senior Goals: 0
VFL Senior Averages: 9.85 disposals, 1.57 marks and 0.85 tackles

VFL Dev Squad Games: 12
VFL Dev Squad Goals: 5
VFL Dev Squad Averages: 17.5 disposals, 3.4 marks and 1.5 tackles

2012 Player Ranking: 1/10

At start of 2012 we had high hopes for Sam Crocker, with another preseason under his belt we expected to see him press his claim to debut in RW&B during the season. Unfortunately Crocker went the opposite way, he really struggled when playing in VFL Seniors and he found himself playing majority of year in Development Squad. When looking back on year he was probably lucky to have played 7 games in seniors as he only averaged 9.85 disposals a game.

When Crocker got the ball he normally used it well as he has an elite kick on him, the only issue was he rarely got the ball to be able to utilize his strength. He was still pretty small considering he’s been in system for few years, but part of that may have been impacted with shoulder injuries last season.

His season was a far cry below what you'd expect from an AFL listed player who was purportedly gifted and it was no surprise to those that watched the VFL each week that he was delisted. It's a shame we didn't get to see Crocker outside of the NAB Cup, but poor results in the VFL don't bode well for a career in the elite AFL, and it is likely that 'Croc' is yet another player who didn't fully realise their potential.

I still believe he has what it takes to make it in the AFL and would love to see him given another shot on a rookie list, even if it’s not on the Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back