SANFL and WAFL players still excluded from the AFL Hall of fame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leaping Lindner

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2002
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
As yet another slanging match about the standard of the various leagues has erupted on the main board. It got me thinking who do you think from your team is still not in the AFL Hall of Fame and deserves to be. Let's be serious people.
I'll start of with my opinion from North Adelaide.

Tom Leahy.
Magarey Medalist 1913. Premiership Captain. State Captain.
If what you read is lead to be believed this guy was THE best ruckman in the country prior to WW1.

Ian McKay
Magarey Medalist 1950. Dual Premiership captain.State Captain.
Argueably the best full back ever in the SANFL. Played brilliantly at both club and state level and at one point forced John Coleman's axing from the Victorian state game.

Who are yours?

What do you expect?

Those morons hate everything that doesn't measure up to Victorian standards. They hate us, they hate everyone else and think they are better than us.

F*** them and their hall of fame, they can stick it up their jacksie. There isn't any such thing in Victorian... sorry, 'Australian' football as a great South Australian player. There isn't any such thing as a great West Australian player.

As long as Victoria controls the world of Australian football... we are all screwed out of our club's rights.

Nothing will change unless the interstate clubs and leagues act.

Michael Aish,Paul Bagshaw,Austin Robertson jr,Tim Evans, Super Carey, Ralphie Sewer, Stuart Palmer, David Marshall, Fred Phillis, Mick Redden, Brian Cousins. All as good as many VFL 'newspaper' champions and they can't do anything to change it eg Aish=Hird Carey=Dempsey Robertson=Hudson(Polly Farmer himself said Robertson was better) Marshall=Hawkins(believe it haters!) Up the croweaters and the sangropers!!

Originally posted by Adrian Shelton
Michael Aish,Paul Bagshaw,Austin Robertson jr,Tim Evans, Super Carey, Ralphie Sewer, Stuart Palmer, David Marshall, Fred Phillis, Mick Redden, Brian Cousins. All as good as many VFL 'newspaper' champions and they can't do anything to change it eg Aish=Hird Carey=Dempsey Robertson=Hudson(Polly Farmer himself said Robertson was better) Marshall=Hawkins(believe it haters!) Up the croweaters and the sangropers!!
Dunno about Carey - how did he go in State games?

Marshall = Hawkins? Er, no. Good player was David Marshall, but Doug Hawkins was one of the most sublime left foot kicks of his era.

Aish would have been a success in the AFL. But James Hird is possibly the best player in the competition.

Robertson - yes, he certainly has the record.

Now - this old Pecker-head loves Ralphy. Visited me in hospital when I was a kid; I scored district cricket matches he played in; somehow got into his birthday party at his place after the 87 finals loss. But AFL Hall of Fame? Hmmmm..... Maybe he could make it for having played SANFL in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's!

Wasn't Brian Cousins a Geelong player who moved to the West?

Stewie Palmer - stop it, you're killing me. Put Banger Baynes in while you're there!

I will finish by making a possibly more plausible suggestion - Malcolm Blight will one day be an AFL Legend.

SANFL & WAFL players still exluded from the AFL Hall Of Fame

couldnt agree more with this posting. Tom Leahy & Ian McKay definitely, ditto for Don Lindner. he's the man who made my dad become a North Adelaide supporter. living in victoria, i can tell you that they dont give a crap about anyone from SANFL. they put Ken Farmer in, but dont really acknowledge how great he was.

As for David Marshal & Peter Carey going in, hell yeah. Mashall was a superb running wingman and Carey won many games for the Tigers. played over 400 games i think. Sewer of course, Wilbur Wilson was a legend, Michael Aish, Michael Graham from Sturt was one of the best i ever saw.

it may be the AFL but its still run by people with a VFL is better mentality. if the SANFL is so inferior then why did vic clubs raid the comp every year. They stole Wayne Carey from north when he was playing under 17's. and pinched Kernahan, Bradley, Platten, Motley, Greg anderson, Tony McGuiness to name a few

Originally posted by Leaping Lindner

Who are yours?

The two stand out omissions since 1960 as far as I am concerned are Don Lindner and Paul Bagshaw.

Don Lindner won state matches off his own boot. He was a rich man's Tony Modra. He would take at least one hanger every match. His legend has somewhat dulled in South Australia, although it was great to hear that "ad" the other day on the radio.

Lest I be accused of ony seeing red and white, Baggy is the other player that I have seen play who should be there. Best On the Ground in at least three grand finals, five best and fairests in a top club (the same number as the great Russell Ebert) and seven premierships. A truly magnificent player. The argument against Baggy is that he didn't win a Magarey Medal. He might have if had ever exerted himself in games that didn't matter. If he were playing a bottom club, he might enjoy the stroll but never get out of second gear. Put on a sunny day in late September at Adelaide Oval and watch his skills.

Apologies to David Marshall, Peter Carey, Bob Hammond, Ken Eustice, Rick Davies, Graham Cornes and Robert Oatey who would be in the almost category as far as I am concerned.

Agreed, Bags, along with Ebert and Barrie came from a different planet or something, 'cos no-one on Earth could do things they did on a footy field.

The VICS are one eyed and all they care about is themselves! They tried to raid all our players to the VFL and if it wasn't for the National Comp we would be absolutely stuffed by now!
The left out the mighty Ken Farmer when they first made the hall of fame that shows they don't care about anyone except themselves!!

How about Macca a legend of the game deserves to be there!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Brad-clare

How about Macca a legend of the game deserves to be there!

It would be an absolute traversty if Macca got in before Baggy and Don Lindner.

IMHO Robert Oatey is the best player I have seen play for Norwood.

Originally posted by Ford Fairlane
Bob Quinn, Bob McLean, Fos Williams.

I am certain that Bob Quinn and Fos Williams are in the AFL Hall of Fame. I'm not so sure of Bob McLean.

Originally posted by Robranisgod
I am certain that Bob Quinn and Fos Williams are in the AFL Hall of Fame. I'm not so sure of Bob McLean.

True on all counts. My mistake, I was thinking of the Legends (which Quinn at least should be). And I can still nominate Bob McLean ;)

True on all counts. My mistake, I was thinking of the Legends (which Quinn at least should be). And I can still nominate Bob McLean ;)

Assuming a Port player was the second AFL legend from South Australia who would you choose, Bob Quinn or Russell Ebert?

Originally posted by Robranisgod
Assuming a Port player was the second AFL legend from South Australia who would you choose, Bob Quinn or Russell Ebert?

Bob Quinn. I couldn't possibly go past him. Premiership captain and coach, dual Magarey Medallist (1938,45) either side of military service in WW2, wounded in action, Military Medal. Unbelievable. I am a huge fan of Russell's but that record sends a shiver down my spine.

Bob Quinn. I couldn't possibly go past him. Premiership captain and coach, dual Magarey Medallist (1938,45) either side of military service in WW2, wounded in action, Military Medal. Unbelievable. I am a huge fan of Russell's but that record sends a shiver down my spine.

I know Bob McLean though that Bob Quinn was Port's best ever footballer.

Originally posted by Adrian Shelton
Didn't 'Big Bob' return from war service with leg injuries that would've put nearly anyone else into retirement?

Small in stature (he was a rover) but enormous in spirit. Quinn sustained life threatening leg injuries when he virtually single handedly stormed a German stronghold in Tobruk in 1941. He won the Military Medal for that act of bravery. He came back and won the Magarey Medal four years later.

Some of his highlights include:

239 games, 386 goals for Port from 1933-42 and 1945-47.
Triple premiership player 1936,37,39.
Four time best and fairest 1937, 38, 45, 47.
Twice Port's leading goalkicker 1937, 45.
Magarey Medallist 1938, 45.
Represented SA 15 times, 26 goals.
Port captain coach 1939-40, 1945-47.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back