Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2001
X Convenience Oval, Elizabeth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC (SANFL), Port Melb (VFL)
Hi Footy Fans...

The minor season is over! Finals time is upon SA footy-heads and while five teams live to fight another day, four others go home empty handed... with the exception of Norwood who will soon receive the wooden spoon. The Roosters have picked a pretty bad time to have a form fade-out, the opportunity for the double chance going begging and are now facing an uphill battle to be a Grand Final contender. The Bulldogs finished the minor season well, collecting two trophies and one medal for their efforts and a week off for the first round of finals.

So now to this week's SANFL wrap-up for the last round of the regular season... Round 23!

First its off to Woodville Oval for the ABC Match of the Day, the Magpies facing the Eagles in a fight for their survival and an elimination final spot. The Eagles, after an early Magpie challenge in the first quarter, made up for that quickly kicking 12.6 in the following two quarters to the visitors' 7.5 to lead by 29 points at three quarter time. A further five goals in the final term put the Magpies season to rest, a disappointing end for the club and its fans to finish in a position they haven't been in for a long time. The Eagles ran out winners by 51 points. See you next year Port.

At Prospect Oval, with the Blues having a week off, the Roosters faced South Adelaide with a golden chance to secure a qualifying final berth next weekend. North started things off with a six goal first quarter without a miss, the visitors kicking 2.5. The lead extended to 20 points at half time, but after that, a new Panther outfit took to the field and changed the course of the match big-time. The home side had a disappointing third term, kicking a solitary behind to South's 7.7, putting the Panthers in front by 28 points at the siren. The Rooster faithful were left stunned as South kept their opponents at bay long enough to get one last hurrah for Season 2004, kicking four goals straight to 4.2. The Panthers ended the season on a high, winning by 26 points.

Adelaide Oval was the scene for the match between Glenelg and Norwood, a match that would have determined the wooden spooner had the Tigers not beaten North last weekend. Glenelg didn't waste any time, establishing the first quarter lead of 15 points. They followed up in the second quarter kicking 4.1 to 2.1 to lead by 27 points at the half time break. The Redlegs had no answer for the beating that would follow, the Tigers finishing off the wooden spooners with a 10.10 second half to the Redlegs' 5.2 to run out winners by 65 points. So Macca's job is done... good luck to whoever replaces him.

Finally down at Broadspectrum Oval, the Bulldogs came off the bye to play Westies. The Bloods played a slow paced game to try and stifle the visitors faster and aggressive style, which only worked in the first half where the Dogs lead by seven points at half time. After that, Centrals charges had enough of the slow game and proceeded to rip the hell out of their hosts, kicking 7.5 to 1.3 in the third quarter, then a further 5.4 to three straight in the final term. Daniel Schell only kicked 4.2 but that was enough to stitch up the Ken Farmer Medal, the Doggies victorious by 61 points.

Final scores in Round 23 of the SANFL...

Saturday September 4
Woodville-West Torrens 19.13 (127)
Port Adelaide 11.10 (76)
Crowd: 2,159 at Woodville Oval

South Adelaide 17.16 (118)
North Adelaide 14.8 (92)
Crowd: 2,720 at Prospect Oval

Glenelg 17.16 (118)
Norwood 8.5 (53)
Crowd: 2,097 at Adelaide Oval

Central District 16.14 (110)
West Adelaide 7.7 (49)
Crowd: 2,159 at Broadspectrum Oval, Richmond

Sturt had the bye.

Injuries
Eagles--Potter (hip)
North--Roe (hamstring)
Glenelg--Salopek (corked hip)
Central--Graham (cut finger), Ware (cut eyebrow)
West--H. Slattery (ankle), Porplyzia (thigh), Chubb (bruised back), Hassan (knock to head)

Reports
Central--Bello (undue rough play)

Central District, other than picking up the minor premiership, will also collect the Stanley H. Lewis Trophy for best club performance.

Next week marks the start of the 2004 SANFL Finals Series... North and West face a sudden death elimination final and the Eagles face Sturt to determine who will play for a Grand Final spot against the Bulldogs at AAMI Stadium in two weeks.

Sunday September 12
Elimination Final
North Adelaide v. West Adelaide

Qualifying Final
Woodville-West Torrens v. Sturt
Adelaide Oval

Central District as minor premiers have the week off.

So until next weekend... see you at the Footy!

nice one raboyle - nice to mothball the moronic magpie maggots, and hand them a threepeat of finals misses. Following on from the great position after the williams sacking last year....when the going got too tough to throw more phones

querying your crowd number for the game at eagle park, the sunday mail had a figure of over 3000?

eddie eagle#2 said:
nice one raboyle - nice to mothball the moronic magpie maggots, and hand them a threepeat of finals misses. Following on from the great position after the williams sacking last year....when the going got too tough to throw more phones

querying your crowd number for the game at eagle park, the sunday mail had a figure of over 3000?

Hey Eddie, how'd Dale Ellis go? Heard he looked pretty good, you'd be looking forward to seeing him in Power colours next year? ;)

eddie eagle#2 said:
I noticed that the crowd figures for Woodville and Richmond were the same - surely that couldn't be so!

sunday mail had 3077

dale ellis coming along nicely - 4.1 yesterday - 6 marks.
still only 21 but has played 21 games now for 31 goals.

He is probably just behind the chokers' GUN chf warron tearday, who I know STRUGGLES BIG TIME in finals, so maybe dale will be elevated for the afl prelim at aami

eddie eagle#2 said:
sunday mail had 3077

dale ellis coming along nicely - 4.1 yesterday - 6 marks.
still only 21 but has played 21 games now for 31 goals.

He is probably just behind the chokers' GUN chf warron tearday, who I know STRUGGLES BIG TIME in finals, so maybe dale will be elevated for the afl prelim at aami

Nice try but no bite sorry. I'm a big fan of Dale's based on what I saw of him in trials for Port early in the year - tough, hard at it, good in the air, thumping kick, very good ground skills for a big bloke. Looked to be getting good stats during the year for Eags, but injury at the wrong time seemed to undo him. Like to see him promoted to Port's senior list at the end of the year.

Ellis will be more than handy for the finals.

I think the Eagles are cherry ripe for the flag after going through a rough spot about a month ago.

With Ellis and Cicolella back and Hall Shirley and Bock to come back in we are looking good.

Anyone notice that Scott Freeborn got BOG for the Eagles reserves. Could be a very handy inclusion for the finals. Where has he been for most of the year?

Way to go eag's
the word around woody oval is scott walked back into the club said can i have a game last 2 weeks played in the seconds
As i posted before bill sanders was an onlooker thought he may have been interested in ohara and ackland might well go for ellis too
what will happen to Knights for approaching umpires at half time ?

Yeah eddie eagle that is confirmed... 3,077 people. Sorry bout that. ;)

My objective in these wrap-ups isn't really to rub it in when teams miss finals... I do that in my regular posts. :D

raboyle said:
My objective in these wrap-ups isn't really to rub it in when teams miss finals...
I guess somebody else has to do it then. I'll volunteer:

SpoonsB.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nice one uncle steve.

Re scott freeborn - he was living with rhett biglands and did not move back to adelaide until mid year.

he was interviewed at the last eagles members night and said that he was contacted by ron who had a coffee & a chat.

He has had a shocking run with injuries in the last 2-3 years with carlton, still recovering from his latest injuries.

He sounded as though he was only going to play halves this year, so that he would not go into next years preseason with any lingering niggles, would be suprised to see him play league this year

mud n blood said:
I see the funny side, but I don't get the point of 15 spoons when they haven't got that many ?!?!

I think the cheer squad was waving them around, from what I heard on the radio, so there must've been a party afterwards at Uncle Steve's house.
;)

Ok Eddie I bow down to your knowledge was just repeating what Aussie the ticket seller( i know he talks crap lol ) told me :)
Still he looked good on the HBF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back