SCAMS

Remove this Banner Ad

"Earlier this year Microsoft revealed a new artificial intelligence (AI) system which could recreate a person's voice after listening to them speak for only three seconds.

It was a sign of just how quickly AI could be used to convincingly replicate a key piece of someone's identity."

"Cyber security company Darktrace said it had seen a 135 per cent increase in sophisticated and novel social engineering attacks in the first months of 2023, which it said corresponded with the widespread adoption of ChatGPT".

"That's when victims are tricked into thinking they're dealing with someone from their bank, when they're really dealing with a criminal.

And scammers can use what's called "alpha tags" to make messages appear in a thread of legitimate messages from your bank.

The video above is an example of one such call to a Westpac customer last year, but these scammers could claim to be from any bank — big or small.

Last year, Scamwatch had 14,603 reports about bank impersonation scams, totalling more than $20 million in losses.

Scammers can also trick people with their dodgy ads for banks online.

When people type their bank's name into a search engine, they may click on the first link that comes up — and scammers can take advantage of that.

They might set up what looks like legitimate website for the bank, but it actually takes them to their dodgy impostor site instead."

"Earlier this year Microsoft revealed a new artificial intelligence (AI) system which could recreate a person's voice after listening to them speak for only three seconds.

It was a sign of just how quickly AI could be used to convincingly replicate a key piece of someone's identity."

"Cyber security company Darktrace said it had seen a 135 per cent increase in sophisticated and novel social engineering attacks in the first months of 2023, which it said corresponded with the widespread adoption of ChatGPT".
Don't worry about the AI scams.
There's a new kid in town,with a bigger plan.
ChaosGPT
AI bot, ChaosGPT, tweets out plans to ‘destroy humanity’ after being tasked

We might need a new thread for Artificial Intelligence scams, cons and to explore how it might be used to benefit against the people.

"This man gets on the phone, and he's like, 'Listen here. I've got your daughter. This is how it's going to go down. You call the police, you call anybody, I'm going to pop her so full of drugs. I'm going to have my way with her, and I'm going to drop her off in Mexico.'

"And at that moment, I just started shaking. In the background, she's going, 'Help me, Mum. Please help me."

"The email itself heavily uses Australia Post’s branding and, aside from a few grammatical errors in the text, it would be hard to distinguish it from a genuine email,” it warned.

The message claims the customer’s package is on hold, and they need to pay a $3 fee via the link in the email for the delivery to be finalised".

I think we are getting to the stage where you can no longer take a call from your bank.

If you do get a call from someone claiming it’s best to hang up and call the official number listed on the website yourself.
Yeah they legit called me about this once (dodgy CC transactions) and I told them I would hang up and call them back - no worries at all.

Been a while since I've understood the ins and outs of it but I recon a lot of us 'scam aware' types could get undone if there was some sort of hack to DNS whereby legit URLs got directed to non-legit IPs.

A bit over it here, two scam calls already today and one last night (voicemail) that for a very brief moment I actually thought was my daughter and her plane had been hijacked or something after she said in a whispery crying voice 'I'm on the plane but I'm in a really intense situation'.

She wanted me to send money to her account then she abruptly hung up as if the phone cut out, as she was pretending to give me her account numbers.

Last edited:
A bit over it here, two scam calls already today and one last night (voicemail) that for a very brief moment I actually thought was my daughter and her plane had been hijacked or something after she said in a whispery crying voice 'I'm on the plane but I'm in a really intense situation'.

She wanted me to send money to her account then she abruptly hung up as if the phone cut out, as she was pretending to give me her account numbers.
Yeah just wait until they perfect deep fakes, will be harder to avoid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the past year I've had a couple of emails and a text telling me that my credit card has been compromised. I jump straight onto onlne banking and block the card. I'll then google the number for the bank and ring them, I will never answer a text, call a number they ask me to call or click on a link.

One of the texts turned out to be genuine, the other two weren't. I was without a credit card for about a week while I had new ones sent out.

No big deal for peace of mind.

In the past year I've had a couple of emails and a text telling me that my credit card has been compromised. I jump straight onto onlne banking and block the card. I'll then google the number for the bank and ring them, I will never answer a text, call a number they ask me to call or click on a link.

One of the texts turned out to be genuine, the other two weren't. I was without a credit card for about a week while I had new ones sent out.

No big deal for peace of mind.
The temporary stop is an excellent feature. Can even use it if you misplace a card or not sure if you lost it or left your wallet somewhere etc.

I think we are getting to the stage where you can no longer take a call from your bank.

If you do get a call from someone claiming it’s best to hang up and call the official number listed on the website yourself.
Yes I agree, but make sure you don't get the number from a fake site.

One of the major reasons it's a problem is Call Line Identification (CLI) For some incredibly stupid reason, that probably 'seemed a good idea at the time' CLI can be changed, making it utterly impossible to be sure who is actually calling. It's such a c*ck up. The main thing you want with CLI is authenticity, yet it was built so it could be manipulated by overstamping and spoofing. These are the basis of nearly all phone scams. Dumb.

It's big business.

Philippine authorities have rescued over a thousand people from several Asian nations who were trafficked into the country, held captive and forced to run online scams, an official said on Saturday.

One central location.

I thought this was cute. 'He says there will also be a new 'hit squad' to take the fight to the scammers.' :tearsofjoy:

14m ago14 minutes ago

Calls and messages from people pretending to be banks will be blocked

Mr Jones says calls and SMS messages from someone pretending to be a bank or government agency will be blocked under the new caller ID registry.
"An SMS message will be blocked unless it's coming through from the authorised number, from a bank, from a government agency, and we intend to expand that over time," Mr Jones says.

7NEWS Spotlight Season 2023 Episode 5 Busting The Scammers: Watch & Stream Online Free | 7plus

"The AFP has arrested and charged a sixth Chinese national living in Sydney as part of an investigation into an organised criminal syndicate involved in a cyber-enabled investment scam that has resulted in more than US$100 million in losses worldwide.

The AFP has so far arrested five other Chinese Nationals based in Sydney as part of Operation Wickham."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back