Self Sustainability

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The ultimate philosophy of the true libertarian.

Place your thoughts in here.

Foods that will store for your entire life. Buy in bulk when they are cheap:

Sugar
Vanilla Extract (pure)
Rice
Corn Starch
Honey
Distilled Spirits (liquor)
Salt
Corn Syrup
Maple Syrup
White Vinegar

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Always the stuff i read non-work related.

Enjoyed this series:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/107392-the-survivalist

Food wise - hard tack biscuits (soldiers are them sure the war). Make them good enough and they'll last decades. I soak them in milo or just milk when i want them to soften. Also act like a weapon (throwing one could probably cause a concussion).

Minimulist wise i always make a big batch of these and freeze them (always good for camping/hiking).

https://minimalistbaker.com/healthy-5-ingredient-granola-bars/

I like the ideas used by these two:

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great post GG.

I hope every battler and young couple starting out consider alt. living practices rather than hopping on the treadmill of mortgage slavery.
Agreed. It does translate to "death contract" after all.

I've tried to learn as much skills as i possibly can because I'd like to try my hand at something like the couple in the above video later in life. Got the basics of plumbing, wood and metal work down. Electrical is something I've recently started playing around with in the shed (solar, generators, lighting). Setting up something like that whilst doing part time work is easily something i could maintain. Getting my partner onboard is another story. She loves work and always needs to stay busy. Got a decade to plant the seed in her mind. Might start subliminal messages.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Living. They're doing it right.

Good watch. I like the insulation idea (haven't seen many opt for it). Wanted to see inside their fridge. Great idea including the double access to the cupboards. They should definitely raise their bed so their bikes can slip straight in and give them more storage. Although their cwardrobe access would be hindered. I'd try and set up a wind up device so that the bed can go up and down as they please.

Very clever using the amazon cards and with saving their money. What a dream.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm a bit of a fisherman/hunter gatherer. Love the challenge of catching and eating my own food knowing that it comes from the wild rather than processed means. Always tastes fresher.

I've really been getting into preserving meats (especially fish) in a variety of different ways including pickling, curing, smoking and making jerky (dehydrating). Have been thoroughly enjoying smoking fish. Smoking fish often keeps much longer than standard cooked fish.

I'm looking at moving into preserving more of my own fruit/vegies that often go to waste by the use of the same means.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy got me into composting. For some reason I really enjoy it.

I love his attitude as well.

For those that want to experiment - https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/263931 these are at Aldi now (I know that the deal says 2016 but Aldi don't list it on their site at the moment). They're $17.99 I believe these days, not the $30 on ozbargain 2016.

Throw in all manner of things.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
One of my favourite youtube channels. Looking forward to more on their van build. I always enjoy when content creator turns builder because it almost turns into a best of from what they've seen over the journey.

Similar to when Bryce gave a turn showing his tiny house build.

This thread is where brand new libertarians are made.;)

Had my first compost harvest today. Only had one tub, reckon I could have filled another.

Next project will be a compost sieve, I had everything spread out on a tarp and worked through it by hand.

Never again.

Attachments

• EF3A8DFA-3289-49ED-9321-AFD8EA61B1D1.jpeg
    EF3A8DFA-3289-49ED-9321-AFD8EA61B1D1.jpeg
    446.3 KB · Views: 187
If you want to properly off grid you're gonna want to cut wood. Without a chainsaw.

Silky Saws make these large folding saws - Katanaboys, 500, 650 and 1000.

The numbers refer to the blade length in mm.

My 500 arrived today and after a quick test I'd recommend them. Made short work of 200 mm dry hardwood. Less than a minute to cut thru, minimal effort. Its well designed, only cuts on the pull stroke (ooer) and looks like a great tool.

Plenty of videos here if you want to see testing:

The best comparison is vs a fairly standard cross cut saw. IMO.

They're expensive but probably not compared to a good chainsaw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back