Discussion SFA S37 DRAFT - You know it makes sense ....

Should there be a SFA Draft for Season 37 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

#bombershelpagain
Sep 26, 2021
Saturn
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
H90l.gif

HERE'S AN IDEA - A SFA S37 DRAFT !

I had an idea last night which is now a little more fully formed so I thought I would share it here.

To help spread the SFA Gospel and create some excitement in the lead up to next season here is what we could do ....

Now I know I am a newbie and have only been here for 2 seasons so if this has been tried before and failed, I apologise in advance.
But as someone who has had some success in bringing in Rookies to Baghdad, can I say most, if not all I contact have never heard of
Sweet.

The current SFA body of posters include many people who also post in AFL threads with regards the AFL teams they support.
I think I can safely say we have multiple people who even follow teams like the Gold Coast Suns and GWS - no offence
intended.

SO WHAT DO YOU DO ?

We need someone [PROBABLY ME] to develop a very user friendly SFA Recruitment "Draft Sign Up" Media Piece which explains what the SFA is,
in an interesting, humorous and tempting way. Then - this media piece needs to be placed into EVERY AFL CLUB Board as a
thread say 4 - 6 weeks out from the start of S37 with a closing date for nominations, say 2 weeks out from the start of the season.
Possibly even BF Banner Ads could run during this period ?

If we can get an average of 3 nominations from each AFL Team Board = 54 nominations for a SFA Draft which would mean each team
gets at least 4 selections. Clubs can of course pass during the draft but must select a player in the first round.

Clubs could still recruit Rookies by existing processes and also players can still change clubs by existing processes.

BUT HOW WOULD IT WORK ?

Players selected by the draft are held by the their respective SFA Club for one season only, after which the player is free
to move to another club or if they're happy, stay where they are.

Draft would start with the team which finishes LAST in S36 having Pick #1 and the S36 Premiers would have Pick #13 and so on.

A Pre-Draft "Hunger Squid Games" thread would be created where draft nominees could "strut their stuff" in the lead up to the draft.

We could also look at Clubs trading picks in the lead up to the Draft. This could add some extra spice ? Underperforming clubs could
plead their case for priority pics.

I believe the implementation of a SFA Draft would be a big help to lower performing teams and those for whom recruitment of
Rookies seems a bit difficult at present.

TL;DR = VOTE YES.

Discuss ..........

mbYc1X.gif
Sun Ra Nodding.gif
67362137.jpg

#bombershelpagain

Bovo likes this thread.

Last edited:
HERE'S A STUPID IDEA - A SFA S37 DRAFT !

I had an idea last night which is now a little more fully formed so I thought I would share it here.

To help spread the SFA Gospel and create some excitement in the lead up to next season here is what we could do ....

Now I know I am a newbie around here and have only been here for 2 seasons so if this has been tried before and
failed, I apologise in advance.

The current SFA body of posters include many people who also post in AFL threads with regards the AFL teams they support.
I think I can safely say we have multiple people who even follow teams like the Gold Coast Suns and GWS - no offence
intended.

We need someone to develop a very user friendly SFA Recruitment "Draft Sign Up" Media Piece which explains what the SFA is,
in an interesting, humorous and tempting way. Then - this media piece needs to be placed into EVERY AFL CLUB Board as a
thread say 4 - 6 weeks out from the start of S37 with a closing date for nominations, say 2 weeks out from the start of the season.

If we can get an average of 3 nominations from each AFL Team Board = 54 nominations for a SFA Draft which would mean each team
gets at least 4 selections. Clubs can of course pass during the draft but must select a player in the first round.

Clubs could still recruit Rookies by existing processes and also players can still change clubs by existing processes.

Players selected by the draft are held by the their respective SFA Club for one season only, after which the player is free

Draft would start with the team which finishes LAST in S36 having Pick #1 and the S36 Premiers would have Pick #13 and so on.

We could also look at Clubs trading picks in the lead up to the Draft. This could add some extra spice ?

I believe the implementation of a SFA Draft would be a big help to lower performing teams and those for whom recruitment of

I think this is a far better and more important initiative to put energy into than the proposed "Reserves Comp".
I heard that was in part to test tweaks to the SIM. If that is indeed the case - just play "One Off" Exhibition Matches to play with the SIM
- eg S35 ALL SFA vs S35 SFA Rookie XX ?, etc. I don't see the point of a Reserves Comp myself ............ sorry Grand Uncle Horace.

Discuss ..........

H90l.gif

mbYc1X.gif
Wonders will vote. One of the few times, they would.

H90l.gif

HERE'S A STUPID IDEA - A SFA S37 DRAFT !

Now I know I am a newbie and have only been here for 2 seasons so if this has been tried before and failed, I apologise in advance.
But as someone who has had some success in bringing in Rookies to Baghdad, can I say most, if not all I contact have never heard of
Sweet.

intended.

SO WHAT DO YOU DO ?

We need someone [PROBABLY ME] to develop a very user friendly SFA Recruitment "Draft Sign Up" Media Piece which explains what the SFA is,

BUT HOW WOULD IT WORK ?

A Pre-Draft "Hunger Squid Games" thread would be created where draft nominees could "strut their stuff" in the lead up to the draft.

We could also look at Clubs trading picks in the lead up to the Draft. This could add some extra spice ? Underperforming clubs could
plead their case for priority pics.

I think this is a far better and more important initiative to put energy into than the proposed "Reserves Comp".
I heard that was in part to test tweaks to the SIM. If that is indeed the case - just play "One Off" Exhibition Matches to play with the SIM
- eg S35 ALL SFA vs S35 SFA Rookie XX ?, etc. I don't see the point of a Reserves Comp myself ............ sorry Grand Uncle Horace.

TL;DR = VOTE YES.

Discuss ..........

mbYc1X.gif
View attachment 1764248
67362137.jpg

#bombershelpagain

Bovo
Bloody good

Anyway - I'd like to see some more support for this initiative or at least why it's a bad idea ?

I realise Admin has been busy of late with other issues but now that has settled down, I'd hope
to see some serious (?) consideration if possible.

thewizardmelon did show early interest but appears to have dropped off ........

Senor M ? Any "feedback" from you ?

Last edited:
It would be a lot of work initially, but worth fleshing out as any kind of recruitment initiative benefits the whole league. There are a few club board mods already in the Sweet FA, it might be worth checking with them to see if they'd allow such a post on their club board. It'd be s**t to do all the work, only to be told 'yeah, no' by each club board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What can I do ???

It’s a really good concept and once in place would be a big win for the league and all the teams, could open the door to expansion down the track also.

I love it!
Think it needs to get the :whitecheck: from Admin to start with. thewizardmelon is on board, so see what happens. Plenty of time which
is also why I raised it this early - so there would be time. It could be good for the comp and also a bit of fun if it comes off.
Once it's set up and if it works - it should be pretty easy to keep it going, you'd think ?

Think it needs to get the :whitecheck: from Admin to start with. thewizardmelon is on board, so see what happens. Plenty of time which
is also why I raised it this early - so there would be time. It could be good for the comp and also a bit of fun if it comes off.
Once it's set up and if it works - it should be pretty easy to keep it going, you'd think ?
has this been run past the nerds club

a puppet nerd club member
Is that second tier NC membership ? Anyway hopefully the NC voting block doesn't veto this.
It could actually help some of their clubs ? Prefer this idea/thread stays "apolitical".

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Anyway - I'd like to see some more support for this initiative or at least why it's a bad idea ?

I realise Admin has been busy of late with other issues but now that has settled down, I'd hope
to see some serious (?) consideration if possible.

thewizardmelon did show early interest but appears to have dropped off ........

Senor M ? Any "feedback" from you ?

Tell me you’ve never tried to recruit for the SFA without telling me you’ve never recruited for the SFA

You go first…..

Pretty sure I fessed up to this crime Shintaro.

There’s no way you’ll find 54+ recruits in an off-season; especially during the summer when BigFooty activity is way down.

Most recruits should go to clubs that suit their interests, not just join the league independently.

Let’s be realistic—- there’s 10 clubs in the league that wouldn’t even consider touching most Baghdad rookies

There’s no way you’ll find 54+ recruits in an off-season; especially during the summer when BigFooty activity is way down.

Most recruits should go to clubs that suit their interests, not just join the league independently.

Let’s be realistic—- there’s 10 clubs in the league that wouldn’t even consider touching most Baghdad rookies
Agree to disagree but I do see your first point. We'll see - there are a lot of idiots out there in BF.
Second point - this can still happen - clubs can still recruit - they're not bound by the draft.
The "Let's be realistic" is just irrelevant. Although there are many ex-Bombres plying their qraft elsewhere, so ...... ?

Agree to disagree but I do see your first point. We'll see - there are a lot of idiots out there in BF.

But 80% of them are only posting on BigFooty during the AFL season— then maybe during trade/draft week.

BigFooty is a significantly smaller community in December/January. That’s why odd season recruitment numbers are typically lower despite a longer off-season giving more time to recruit

Back