Delisted Shane Savage

Remove this Banner Ad

Played well against North and kicked two good goals . I imagine he will get signed up fairly soon . Has proved us all wrong after we had written him off earlier in the season . I was one who doubted he would even get back into the team . Glad he has turned things around.

Shane in 2017 played 12 games and averaged 21.33 disposals

089a49098cd5dec26641ab94fba93b00.jpg

Season Review: Shane Savage http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-09-20/season-review-shane-savage via @stkildafc

Savage and Lonie locked in http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-09-22/savage-and-lonie-locked-in via @stkildafc

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Savage has carried the momentum he generated last season through the pre-season.
Emma Murray helped me out a lot and gave me a lot of tools that helped me find my belief again helped me play my best footy again.
Shane Savage learnt a lot about himself in 2017. He played the final eight games of the season and finished the year in career best form. But until that point of the year, the dashing defender was stuck on the periphery at Sandringham, searching for his belief.

After playing the first three games in Alan Richardson’s 22, Savage only appeared once more before returning for good in Round 16. From there, he returned with a vengeance, averaging 24.6 disposals and 532.2 metres gained – the fourth most in the competition during that time.

It wasn’t easy to turn his year around. But through the invaluable work of St Kilda’s sports psychologist Emma Murray, Savage rediscovered the belief that had waivered earlier in the year. And the results followed.

“I learnt a lot from last year; I’ve come out a lot stronger from it,” Savage told saints.com.au at St Kilda’s pre-season camp at Geelong Grammar.

“Obviously that first half of the year was a lot tougher. I’m used to playing some pretty consistent footy. So being out of the team, I found out a lot about myself.

“Emma Murray helped me out a lot and gave me a lot of tools that helped me find my belief again helped me play my best footy again. I’ve come out a lot stronger and I’m looking forward to a big year ahead.”

Savage, who has now played 67 games for the Saints since crossing from Hawthorn at the end of 2013, said the highly regarded Murray equipped him with tools that he could trigger when he required them in games.

“She was able to give me a lot of words that meant a lot to me. I was able to take them out onto the field and whenever I found myself drifting throughout a game I was able to come back to those words and refocus myself,” Savage said.

As St Kilda’s season ground to a halt at the end of August, the dynamics inside the Savage household changed a gear. Savage and his wife, Sarah, welcomed their second child, Willow, providing their son, Jett, with a baby sister.

“It’s been amazing. I love being a Dad. Every time I get home they just make me so happy and make me switch off from footy. I love playing around with them,” he said.

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

Savage was one of our best players against both Carlton and Melbourne. He’s booked his spot in the side for the start of the season for sure . He’s playing chock full of confidence at the moment .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shane Savage has started the year in blistering form and full of confidence.

After finishing the 2017 season on a high, the defender has carried his form through the pre-season and emerged as a genuine attacking weapon.

The 27-year-old was prolific through the inaugural AFLX tournament, his speed on display as he took advantage of the smaller ground to boot two zooper goals – including one from the centre ‘X’.

A strong showing in the JLT Series saw him record 21 disposals and seven marks against Carlton, ramping it up again a week later to finish with 27 touches, seven inside 50ms and four tackles against Melbourne.

He hit the scoreboard as well, slotting a goal from outside-50 while getting his teammates involved through two goal assists.

“My confidence is up at the moment,” Savage said.

“Consistency has been the key, but it will mean nothing if I don’t come in and perform in Round 1”.

A down patch had Savage play just one senior game between Round 4 and Round 15 last year before bouncing back in the second-half of the season.

He turned his 2017 season around in Round 16, earning a spot in Alan Richardson’s side and holding his place for the remainder of the year.

“The way I responded gave me a lot of confidence to attack the pre-season,” he said.

“It’s followed through the JLT Series and hopefully it can transcend into Round 1.”

While a slow start hurt the Saints against Melbourne, a dominant six-goal third term gave fans a glimpse of what their team is capable of.

“The third quarter was really positive, and we should take a lot out of that. We just need to turn that into four quarters,” Savage said.

“You can see how damaging we are when we’re composed, we’re going after our kicks and we’re defending like we were.”

With just 10 days until Round 1’s clash with Brisbane, the focus has now turned to the season opener on March 24.

“We’ll have team meetings, go through what we need to improve on and things like that,” he said.

“It’s all about getting kilometres under the legs, recovering well and getting mentally and physically prepared for Round 1.”

Still looking forward to this season.

Let’s go Savage! Would not surprise me if Brisbane put a tag on Savage with his form finishing off last year and in preseason. Hopefully he can work through it and drive us off the half back line! Can’t wait for the game to start!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back