Should Geelong have 3 leagues?

Remove this Banner Ad

monnersfan

Senior List
Suspended
May 24, 2004
Other Teams
Ormond College Magoos
As a footy supporter with a passing interest in Geelong footy (I support the Cats who have quite a few local boys on the list and have been to a few Bellarine FL matches) I'm curious about how well the 3-league system works.

At the time of writing, the Bellarine FL, Geelong FL and Geelong & District FL all operate out of Geelong, and in many cases teams that are quite close geographically compete against sides quite far away (like Newtown & Chilwell playing Colac one weekend, whilst next-door club Geelong Amateurs plays Anglesea). Is there more sense in realigning the leagues, or is there some reason that I am not aware of? Driving through Leopold, I thought they surely should be in the BFL instead of the GFL, while the opposite is true of Newcomb and the Ammos.

Please enlighten me.

I haven't heard of the GDFL. Maybe they could have three leagues. Just like what the Ballarat crew do. We have the Lexton Plains league(combination of Lexton League and Western Plains league), Ballarat Football League, and Central Highlands Football League.

Should Geelong have 3 leagues ?

Monnersfan - I think it would make sense for the Geelong region to have one competition with three divisions. Therefore the best players could compete with the best. In Ballarat they should do the same with the BFL & the CHFL thus elimating the bye that is in both comps. It would save the comps sides some $$$ if they had the one administration team looking after the comp.

ok

ok guys here is the info you need.

the GFL and BFL are now under one banner called football geelong. Teams apply to the board about going into the GFL or dropping to the BFL. Football Geelong wanted the GDFL on board but they werent interested as they were worried they would lose their identity and be known as the third division.

The GDFL generate a substantial amount of money through their bingo and other investments and therefore since they are financially viable they would prefer to go it alone.

I think Geelong Amateurs will get into the GFL but for that to happen a team has to drop back into the BFL.

I follow a team in the GDFL and personally I would love to see a three division league with promotion and relegation but I certainly understand the stance the GDFL have taken as they have to look after their best interests and their great history.

Re: ok

I believe that if the GDFL clubs would have more success and interest by players if that situation occured. It seems that the GFL and BFL over shadow the GDFL and this then causes the GDFL to be the "s h i t e s t" league in Geelong. This label then puts doubt into the mind of good players playing the GDFL. If the 3 divvie comp was introduced, the GDFL could stamp an authority on the rival leagues. This would also prevent players moving from a GDFL club to either a GFL or BFL club.

The 3 division comp would also put life and support back into those clubs who week in, week out get flogged by the top teams. I'm speaking of St. Albans, Geelong West - St. Peters, Leopold (will improve in 2006) Portalington, Barwon Heads (tey will also be better in 2006), Belmont Lions, Geelong West Blue and Bannockburn. Then these clubs can have a contest every week and even chance to become champions of the bottom division, which results in setting their sights for the future achievements.

If there was 3 divs, would these be the divisions??
Div One:
Nth Shore
Sth Barwon
St. Josephs
Newt/Chill
St. Marys
Grovedale
Bell Park
Colac
Ammos
Torquay
Newcomb