Science/Environment Slim shaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does there seem to be a portion of the community that critise people for losing weight and becoming health?

Someone will lose a heap of weight and there seems to be a portion of people who will say they fear he/she is ill or why does he/she need to lose weight?

Surely everyone should celebrate the fact that the person is looking after themselves and trying to get healthy. It is as if a lot of fat people (especially women) are proud to be fat and unhealthy and look down upon people for trying to start looking after themselves

Why does there seem to be a portion of the community that critise people for losing weight and becoming health?

Someone will lose a heap of weight and there seems to be a portion of people who will say they fear he/she is ill or why does he/she need to lose weight?

Surely everyone should celebrate the fact that the person is looking after themselves and trying to get healthy. It is as if a lot of fat people (especially women) are proud to be fat and unhealthy and look down upon people for trying to start looking after themselves

It's been like this for a while, if you call someone fat you're being cruel, but criticising someone for being skinny is fine.

Intersectionality. Supposed aggrieved groups formed to attack the "privileged" (in this case the thin). Its not rooted in decency or common sense. Its a theory so stupid it could only be conjured by academics.

Envy.

It really annoys me that people know that I am on a specific diet, yet will still try and convince me to eat something not part of that diet, "Oh come on, you can have just one piece of cake". Seriously why is it so important to you that I do? And I'll be the one seen as being difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's straight forward. If people see someone go from fat to slim or unhealthy to healthy then those that are fat / unhealthy have a) the excuse it can't be done further kicked out from underneath them and b) fear from that they'll be looked down on for not doing the same. It's easier to pressure the improved person to 'slip back' then improve themselves. Often it's done by supposed kindness 'Just one piece of cake won't hurt!', but it's attempted sabotage.

It goes the step further if there's any relationship involved. If one person gets fitter / loses weight, then if both were initially unfit, the one that still is often gets jealous of the new attention the other gets from people. Especially the sex(es) they are attracted to. Again rather than step up to match the new and improved partner it's easier to sabotage then take a hard look at themselves.

There's a whole industry (love your curves!) built on women avoiding looking at their lifestyle. Men there's not really an equivalent male to male 'Yeah embrace your beer belly dude!'. There's Dad Bod, but that's women commenting on men. Even there my theory is that's more to do with 'Look I'll pretend I like you with some fat, so please please, don't call me out for being fat as well', then actually preferring Dad Bod's over fit bod's in the majority of cases.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back