Play Nice Society, Religion & Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What pisses me off the most about climate change (particularly in the media sphere) is how the onus has been put on the individual when outside of dying, the impact an individual can do to help combat climate change has basically 0 impact. You can reduce, reuse, recycle, walk/bike/PT, use an electric car, compost and vote for pro climate change parties but have no impact and then people still blame you, the individual, for it.

Just pisses me off.

it's a scam.

Individual consumer produce heck all, this is all down to the big end town (you know, the ones with the smoke stacks).

If one more person tells me to recycle, or re-use bags I'm going to get them put on robodebt.

What pisses me off the most about climate change (particularly in the media sphere) is how the onus has been put on the individual when outside of dying, the impact an individual can do to help combat climate change has basically 0 impact. You can reduce, reuse, recycle, walk/bike/PT, use an electric car, compost and vote for pro climate change parties but have no impact and then people still blame you, the individual, for it.

Just pisses me off.
Yeah, I mean, I do stuff like the above because it doesn't hurt anyone and they're probably good habits to have generally (especially if we want to crush capitalism at some point) but I remember reading at some point that emissions targets are essentially in the hands of about 50 or so companies. It feels a bit hopeless when, as I mentioned earlier, these companies have known about this for 50-odd years and instead of doing something about it, decided to go down the path of disinformation and delay.

pretty much the only thing now everyone agrees are cold hard facts are sports results ...
no one gets on social media with some theory that queensland didn't really win the state of origin or the chiefs didn't win the superbowl
no one argues the reality of all the melbourne cup wins, the wimbledon champions, all the golf and tennis and football champions, all the way down to local and junior community level winners of whatever sports
there are conspiracy theories and generally whingeing about things that affect results, and there are established facts (eg, umpiring) that have been responsible for (outrageously) questionable outcomes (eg, 2016 afl grand final) but once those results are "in the book" no one questions them
so much of life these days seems to have different sets of "established facts", of which believers regard as their "truth"
and then there's sport ...
for which a lot of people get paid a sh1tload of money, in ways that make other people an even bigger sh1tload of money, and there's all kinds of professional and personal chicanery going on behind the scenes ... but the results stand, with only very rare exceptions

just something i thought about on a thursday evening ...

pretty much the only thing now everyone agrees are cold hard facts are sports results ...
no one gets on social media with some theory that queensland didn't really win the state of origin or the chiefs didn't win the superbowl
no one argues the reality of all the melbourne cup wins, the wimbledon champions, all the golf and tennis and football champions, all the way down to local and junior community level winners of whatever sports
there are conspiracy theories and generally whingeing about things that affect results, and there are established facts (eg, umpiring) that have been responsible for (outrageously) questionable outcomes (eg, 2016 afl grand final) but once those results are "in the book" no one questions them
so much of life these days seems to have different sets of "established facts", of which believers regard as their "truth"
for which a lot of people get paid a sh1tload of money, in ways that make other people an even bigger sh1tload of money, and there's all kinds of professional and personal chicanery going on behind the scenes ... but the results stand, with only very rare exceptions

Ooh, mark my words, they'll get to sport.

There is only one game in any sport I believe was truly rigged. You can make the claims for a lot of games if you want but I generally don't buy it.

But the NBA Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Lakers and Kings seems to be the most blatant example of sports rigging and has basically been confirmed later on. When you get a ref who was confirmed to be fixing NBA games for years commenting that he believes that game was fixed then that's a big enough accusation.

Great moments in Australian Politics #1

A particular favourite of mine was the primary school trying to raise funds for girls’ education in Africa, and boys could wear a dress to school that day if they brought a gold coin. In previous years they had raised maybe a few hundred dollars for a good cause.

Then Cory Bernardi got hold of it and started shouting from the rooftops about Marxist gender ideology polluting young minds.

It was the first I’d heard of it and I didn’t hesitate to jump online and donate twenty bucks. Clearly I was not alone because from memory, thanks to Cory publicising the fundraiser, the school raised something like $275,000 that year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A particular favourite of mine was the primary school trying to raise funds for girls’ education in Africa, and boys could wear a dress to school that day if they brought a gold coin. In previous years they had raised maybe a few hundred dollars for a good cause.

Then Cory Bernardi got hold of it and started shouting from the rooftops about Marxist gender ideology polluting young minds.

It was the first I’d heard of it and I didn’t hesitate to jump online and donate twenty bucks. Clearly I was not alone because from memory, thanks to Cory publicising the fundraiser, the school raised something like $275,000 that year.

geez, so there was some use to bernardi after all

cory the fluffer

Who'd live in California hey. A hurricane AND a 5.1 earthquake on the same day.

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

Remove this Banner Ad

Back