Play Nice Society, Religion & Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For years we have heard how people aren’t being racist with their dislike of Goodes. “I’m not racist, I just hate Goodes because he dived” “I’m not racist I love Eddie Betts, see he isn’t abused, because he’s not a flog”.

Yet here we are in the aftermath of Betts’ kids being racially abused in their own yard, Eddie making comment on how sad, scary and disappointing it is and that he will continue to educate others (almost the same words as Goodes) and all those that loved Eddie are now turning. The amount of vile “seems set up”, “shut up and concentrate on the footy”, whataboutisms for me show that the treatment of Goodes and others is not about the way they play etc and very much a result of a man of colour stepping out of his lane and being heard. There is still an expectation for indigenous footballers to just play and not be heard.

It makes me so ******* angry that we have become such a hate filled society. To make things even worse, some of the politicians that have spent the last couple of years drumming up racial hatred with their lies and mistruths for political gain are the first ones posting Easter messages as if their lives don’t completely contradict the message of the bible to love one another and treat the least of us as you would wish to be treated.

For years we have heard how people aren’t being racist with their dislike of Goodes. “I’m not racist, I just hate Goodes because he dived” “I’m not racist I love Eddie Betts, see he isn’t abused, because he’s not a flog”.

Yet here we are in the aftermath of Betts’ kids being racially abused in their own yard, Eddie making comment on how sad, scary and disappointing it is and that he will continue to educate others (almost the same words as Goodes) and all those that loved Eddie are now turning. The amount of vile “seems set up”, “shut up and concentrate on the footy”, whataboutisms for me show that the treatment of Goodes and others is not about the way they play etc and very much a result of a man of colour stepping out of his lane and being heard. There is still an expectation for indigenous footballers to just play and not be heard.

It makes me so ******* angry that we have become such a hate filled society. To make things even worse, some of the politicians that have spent the last couple of years drumming up racial hatred with their lies and mistruths for political gain are the first ones posting Easter messages as if their lives don’t completely contradict the message of the bible to love one another and treat the least of us as you would wish to be treated.
Great post. Hits every nail on the head.

it's also noticeable that the loudest voices over the past 20 years proclaiming "australia is not a racist country" have been the first to condemn and declare their "disgust" at what they call "anti-semitism", which in a vast number of cases is simply criticism of the vicious warmongering nature of netanyahu and his government
most sensible people who do question netanyahu's response to the october 7 horror show also condemn the subhuman behaviour of hamas and its affiliates
the voice referendum campaign did not "divide the country", it was already divided, and mostly by those people who'd already made up their minds that the voice campaign would be divisive

I checked the schooling background of AFL identities appearing in the mainstream press for poor behaviour towards women over the past 2 years:

Tarryn Thomas: St Pats (co-ed)
Elijah Hewett: Lynwood High (co-ed)
Wayne Carey: The Heights School (co-ed)
Jake Stringer: Maryborough High (co-ed)
Joffa: Various schools (co-ed)
Brennan Stack: not sure
Jordan De Goey: St Kevin’s (boys)
Jonathon Patton: Nazareth College (co-ed)

A troubled upbringing, usually with alcoholic parent(s), is common among this cohort.

Only one went to a boys school.

But don’t let that get in the way of a good socio-political generalisation.
JDG was there for 2 years only

Sadly the poor mum that got murdered was the daughter of former North player Kerrie Good and as well as the daughter of prominent NSW personality Jon Singleton , so sad for all families . Well done to the policewoman that took the rat out . Always about mental illness , what about 99% of people with it that don't hurt others . God bless all those families
Really awful. The scariest thing for me is how the various sides holding different agendas have had no worries pushing their own biases with no evidence and no fear of being held to account. We've had muslims blamed off the back of grainy CCTV footage, some poor bloke had his name run through the mud in order to blame the Jews, calls to allow guns in public (because, you know, allowing the guy with a knife to access a gun would have now additional consequence) and complete *******s claiming that the people that have died are all actors as part of a conspiracy. I hate that this is where our country is at right now and all because the conservative side of politics have based their last decade out so of campaigning on lies, misinformation, fear and racism.

I responded in here Bedders as my reply is likely to lead the discussion down the SRP thread lines.

Really awful. The scariest thing for me is how the various sides holding different agendas have had no worries pushing their own biases with no evidence and no fear of being held to account. We've had muslims blamed off the back of grainy CCTV footage, some poor bloke had his name run through the mud in order to blame the Jews, calls to allow guns in public (because, you know, allowing the guy with a knife to access a gun would have now additional consequence) and complete *******s claiming that the people that have died are all actors as part of a conspiracy. I hate that this is where our country is at right now and all because the conservative side of politics have based their last decade out so of campaigning on lies, misinformation, fear and racism.

I responded in here Bedders as my reply is likely to lead the discussion down the SRP thread lines.
All good B i should've put it here . Channel 7 last night said he was Jewish and a different name , that's the extent of the imbecile media here , led by that dog Murdoch

All good B i should've put it here . Channel 7 last night said he was Jewish and a different name , that's the extent of the imbecile media here , led by that dog Murdoch
This is the problem in the "now" era. Everyone needs to be first with the news, so there's much less checking before reporting it. As soon as that news came out, the Jewish community chat groups went nuts getting ready for backlash. Everyone is scared right now because the wrong people believe the wrong news

Well said.

Yeah more sensationalist s**t, this should not be political.

Imagine being at the shop...... so sad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a joke , but these bludgers are stopping people going about they're daily activities , do you reckon those in the middle east would take any notice of these scum .

ha ... so you want "democracy" but you can see the worth of a bit of social extermination?
i guess you do have two sleeves ... one for hypocrisy, the other for ignorance

ha ... so you want "democracy" but you can see the worth of a bit of social extermination?
i guess you do have two sleeves ... one for hypocrisy, the other for ignorance
You're better putting me on ignore as you hate everything i post .
i just hope no one needed to get to hospital !

It was a joke , but these bludgers are stopping people going about they're daily activities , do you reckon those in the middle east would take any notice of these scum .
I don't know who you're talking about. If they're doing something dangerous/illegal, the police can deal with it.

Protests will often cause people problems. Doesn't mean they are necessarily "bludgers". E.g. here in Adelaide a bunch of log trucks blocked up city streets years ago protesting the overseas leasing of forests and subsequent job/processing losses from around my hometown (I agreed with them, though their method caused a lot of problems).

Not sure what your middle east comment has to do with anything.

I don't know who you're talking about. If they're doing something dangerous/illegal, the police can deal with it.

Protests will often cause people problems. Doesn't mean they are necessarily "bludgers". E.g. here in Adelaide a bunch of log trucks blocked up city streets years ago protesting the overseas leasing of forests and subsequent job/processing losses from around my hometown (I agreed with them, though their method caused a lot of problems).

Not sure what your middle east comment has to do with anything.
Because that's what they are protesting about , if you didn't know ,at least 14 arrested

Because that's what they are protesting about , if you didn't know ,at least 14 arrested
Still didn't know what you were talking about, so looked it up. Ceasefire in Gaza, can get behind that. Most people in the Middle East would too.

Still not sure why you class them as bludgers. Did you go down and run surveys on what they do/study for a living?

Obviously police are dealing with some of them for a few different reasons.

Still didn't know what you were talking about, so looked it up. Ceasefire in Gaza, can get behind that. Most people in the Middle East would too.

Still not sure why you class them as bludgers. Did you go down and run surveys on what they do/study for a living?

Obviously police are dealing with some of them for a few different reasons.
It's the same people . We all want peace and i hate what's happening there and poor Ukraine who everyone seems to have forgotten.
This crap has been going on for decades and will keep going , they will never live in peace . Protesting here will change nothing except disrupting peoples daily business

It's the same people at everyone , it's not doing anything but causing chaos to normal people.
I'm not usually a protest-y kinda guy. But I think if there is anything that warrants whole-hearted protesting, it's this situation with Israel. Quite possibly the closest the world's been to a WWIII and it's largely because a small handful of nations including our own refuse to do anything meaningful to curb the situation.

What could possibly be more serious and protest-worthy than that?

I'm not usually a protest-y kinda guy. But I think if there is anything that warrants whole-hearted protesting, it's this situation with Israel. Quite possibly the closest the world's been to a WWIII and it's largely because a small handful of nations including our own refuse to do anything meaningful to curb the situation.

What could possibly be more serious and protest-worthy than that?
I totally agree with what's happening , but protest on a weekend and disrupting people on a Monday will make no Fi ing difference to what's happening over there . These people are professional protesters

I totally agree with what's happening , but protest on a weekend and disrupting people on a Monday will make no Fi ing difference to what's happening over there . These people are professional protesters

Personally think all the protesting is a waste of time, but I guess if you protest out of the way and cause no disturbance it kind of defeats the purpose? Bit like asking people to strike in their own time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back