Suggestion - Feedback Dept

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the text of a message I put to the other mods today, and now I put it to the general populace, for comment. Please advise if you see any merit in it, or any other comments you wish to make :

--------------------------------------

We have a suggestions board, which is good for public feedback, but it doesn't suit folks who want to know why the person who abused them didn't get banned, etc etc.

I suggest that one or 2 mods become devoted to handling this aspect, handling complaints, feedback, reports of abuse, queries about rules, abuse, etc, as a PM option.

It seems that many don't feel they've had their own issues given due respect.

Would it work to have a support dept? One separate from the policing dept?

The idea I'm talking about is to have a couple of mods be devoted to this, and not involved in any of the 'other' stuff (deleting naughty posts, suspending/reprimanding, etc). This way if someone feels wrongly treated, they can rest a little more assured that they can have the matter investigated.

Mods dedicated to this will place emphasis on mediation on problem resolution, with the complainant's needs in mind.

Maybe (and this is a big maybe as its a lot of work) we could do the helpdesk thing and assign ticket numbers, and register concerns properly, so that there can be no 'I have no recollection of that' dead-ends.

This is just an off-the-cuff thought, hence I welcome any suggestions about it.

If you don't want to make your thoughts known publicly. PM them to me. If you want them known but want to be anonymous, PM them saying so and I can post them here without naming you.

If the response is sizeable, please bear with me if I take a bit of time to process everything.

I can see your logic Mobbenfuhrer and it may improve things. However I believe each board should be self maintaining with enough moderators or assistants to police, resolve issues and above all 'moderate'. It is the visability of moderators in threads on their boards that gains them respect. Encouraging people, thanking people, pulling threads in the right direction, showing that they care about the board and it's members.
Avove that should be a mechanism to complain about moderators who a member thinks is abusing his/her position. Maybe there should be a complaints board and keep this one for suggestions.

Big Footy is currently looking like a Democrats policy meeting.
Aidan" Who exactly are we trying to please?"
Andrew "It doesn't matter, i'm sure we can please everyone along the way and make them all happy."
Natasha "I'm kind of sexy, but in a bookish kind of way, does that help?"
Aidan "Sure it does, now does anyone else have an all encompassing policy to help us out?"
BRING ON THE FOOTY SEASON, then all this pointless 'political' meandering can cease and everyone, except my fellow Magpie supporters, can get back to bagging Collingwood!

Originally posted by Frodo
I can see your logic Mobbenfuhrer and it may improve things. However I believe each board should be self maintaining with enough moderators or assistants to police, resolve issues and above all 'moderate'. It is the visability of moderators in threads on their boards that gains them respect. Encouraging people, thanking people, pulling threads in the right direction, showing that they care about the board and it's members.
Avove that should be a mechanism to complain about moderators who a member thinks is abusing his/her position. Maybe there should be a complaints board and keep this one for suggestions.

I reckon this is a great post!

In point format, it comes down to :
1. Boards should be 'self-contained' with relevant 'staff' who are committed to that board. High on a list of prospective improvements
2. A board mod should be "Encouraging people, thanking people, pulling threads in the right direction, showing that they care about the board and it's members." Ties in with 1)
3. Complaint mechanism for moderator accountability. That's what I'm trying for in this thread.

Here's something D4E posted on the General Board :

1 Banning reasons made public I (personal opinion) reckon the actual rule(s) broken could be advised, but any further discussion is between the subject of the banning and the 'staff'. Opinions appreciated!
2 One set of rules for all users This list IS coming, please bear with us! Hiya Lioness!
3 Moderation of moderators behaviours See above response to Frodo's post
4 Moderators to target the real trouble makers, not the 'high profile' posters Refer to D4E's Rule 2, I think we're after consistency here!

D4E also asked a separate question within point 4 : When idiots register on here just to troll, ban them instantly. Why do they get several days before action is taken? I dunno. Maybe there's a reason eg can't for sure tell its the same person immediately, might be utterly sure but no proof/not enough evidence. Would hate to ban an innocent new user through mistake! (Just one possibility).

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
D4E also asked a separate question within point 4 : When idiots register on here just to troll, ban them instantly. Why do they get several days before action is taken? I dunno. Maybe there's a reason eg can't for sure tell its the same person immediately, might be utterly sure but no proof/not enough evidence. Would hate to ban an innocent new user through mistake! (Just one possibility).

Yep, have learnt that this is the usual problem.

Got a good laugh to see the mods on the other site - that you were quick to praise - are into abuse of posters in a way never seen here.:)

Originally posted by Fred
Got a good laugh to see the mods on the other site - that you were quick to praise - are into abuse of posters in a way never seen here.:)

Are you officially promoting the other site then?

Anyhow, what I post on another site is none of your damn business.

Are you officially promoting the other site then?

Anyhow, what I post on another site is none of your damn business.

I was under the impression it was a public site. I don't seem to be able to get anything right lately.

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
This is the text of a message I put to the other mods today, and now I put it to the general populace, for comment. Please advise if you see any merit in it, or any other comments you wish to make :

We have a suggestions board, which is good for public feedback, but it doesn't suit folks who want to know why the person who abused them didn't get banned, etc etc.

I suggest that one or 2 mods become devoted to handling this aspect, handling complaints, feedback, reports of abuse, queries about rules, abuse, etc, as a PM option.

It seems that many don't feel they've had their own issues given due respect.

Would it work to have a support dept? One separate from the policing dept?

The idea I'm talking about is to have a couple of mods be devoted to this, and not involved in any of the 'other' stuff (deleting naughty posts, suspending/reprimanding, etc). This way if someone feels wrongly treated, they can rest a little more assured that they can have the matter investigated.

Mods dedicated to this will place emphasis on mediation on problem resolution, with the complainant's needs in mind.

Maybe (and this is a big maybe as its a lot of work) we could do the helpdesk thing and assign ticket numbers, and register concerns properly, so that there can be no 'I have no recollection of that' dead-ends.

This is just an off-the-cuff thought, hence I welcome any suggestions about it.

If you don't want to make your thoughts known publicly. PM them to me. If you want them known but want to be anonymous, PM them saying so and I can post them here without naming you.

If the response is sizeable, please bear with me if I take a bit of time to process everything.
It is a great idea Mobbenfuhrer. I will support this suggestion more because I also think that it will make this site a better one for everyone on here.
Keep it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what I posted on "the other board" about booting people. I know quite a bit of it has been dealt with above, but IMO this goes someway to addressing the problems that many seem to have with the moderators here on BF.

Quote me on another site:
OK - I'll suggest something.

- Make a list of bootable offences - and start applying them now
- When you decide to boot someone, start a thread (possibly in the General Board) outlining what they did and how it violates the rules above. Be specific.
- Invite comment in this thread (with the proviso that flamewars in that thread is also a banning offence).
- After a period of time (say 3 days - you decide how long), you either go through with the ban or rescind it. Outline in the thread your final decision so everyone knows, then lock the thread so it can be considered case closed, no further correspondence to be entered into. In the meantime you may wish to ban the person (ie noones allowed out on bail).

I know this goes a lot further than what you maybe want to do, but it is transparent, lets the community know what is going on, and makes sure that anyone can see the whole reason behind something. I know you can run BigFooty as an autocracy, and that is quite within Bluey's rights, but any thriving community needs to see "justice" being served and IMO needs to be able to comment on what happens, and I think this provides a framework to handle this.

As a quick side note I would not include booting aliases of previously booted users in this process - after all they've already been tried and sentenced - its sort of like escaping from exile.

Anyway that's my 2c

I've been thinking about these sorts of things and will have more time towards the end of this week to get to work on improvements.

I have not as yet visited this 'other site'. Too much to worry about on my own without worrying about 'other sites' apart from deleting spam.

As an initial note, the trouble with proscribing specified actions leads to 'lawyering' that we simply have no time to deal with - 2000 or more posts per day takes a fair amount of work without discussing bootings ad nauseum.

I will basically be summarising the terms of use that each user has already agreed to on joining the site.

I agree Frodo. However the big issue is time and how much we have of it spare to work on BigFooty.

I'm looking at a couple of new moderators, maybe a Port supporter to mod the Port board, maybe a Crows person for the Crows board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back