Supermarket self-checkout

Remove this Banner Ad

People who take trolley full of items through self check-out are more than likely the same who choose to leave their trolleys in the car park rather than returning them to the trolley bays. Which is ironic, how can they be bothered scanning all their items but not bothered returning their trolley?

I think you've just managed to dissect your own argument. Bravo.

well, my shop has about 2 manned checkouts open and 8-9 self serve checkouts.
so there are always 2-3 people lining up in the manned checkouts so I use self serve, and yes with a trolley.
I also put my scanned and bagged stuff on the floor all over the place around me as I have no idea where else to put them. spread myself out with 7-8 bags eventually before loading back in trolley. not sure how else to do it.

I also put my scanned and bagged stuff on the floor all over the place around me as I have no idea where else to put them. spread myself out with 7-8 bags eventually before loading back in trolley. not sure how else to do it.

Would that in itself suggest the area isn't intended for large trolley loads? IMO self-checkouts replace the express lane, not the full-load lanes.

Wait for a few minutes at the manned checkouts.
I timed it a few times and it took 8-10 minutes as there were 3 people in front of me with their full (super full) trolleys...
I have done my business and left and looked back and the people in line were still being scanned by the checkout dudes...

if they are not going to open up all the checkouts, they should convert them to be self scanners but with benches etc
so have a section of self scanners and clearly label as small trolley/baskets only
and have a section of individual self scanners labelled as large trolleys only.
and then their token number of manned checkouts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if they are not going to open up all the checkouts, they should convert them to be self scanners but with benches etc
so have a section of self scanners and clearly label as small trolley/baskets only
and have a section of individual self scanners labelled as large trolleys only.
and then their token number of manned checkouts
Great idea.

I'm taking my trolley through the self service.

I don't trust people.

lots of staff are on casual which has an added loading.

then theres all kinds of different penalty hours

Yep. I've been casual at Woolworths for the last 2.5 years. I get $26.39 p/h including casual loading ($37.38 p/h if I'm ever lucky enough to get a shift on a Sunday). It would only be $21.99 p/h if I was permanent part-time or fulll-time.

Well ... yes.

Well surely then logic would suggest with less staffed checkouts, it would be quicker and more efficient to filter those with a smaller number of items through the self-serve, and direct full trolleys through the staffed checkouts. Mixing them just causes lines and delays.

Well surely then logic would suggest with less staffed checkouts, it would be quicker and more efficient to filter those with a smaller number of items through the self-serve, and direct full trolleys through the staffed checkouts. Mixing them just causes lines and delays.
I don't disagree.

But if you're delayed at the checkout, doesn't that provide more of an opportunity for you to impulse buy?

In theory I hate trolleys going through self-check out. In practice though I can't say I've ever been held up by one. I think it is a stupid waste of time for them, though.

what really annoys me is when half the checkouts are cash/card and the other half are card only. Surely not that hard to have both sets be cash/card?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back