Current Murder of Daniel Morcombe

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Daniel Morecombe.....arrest made, charges laid

If any of you posters have young kids......don't let them get public transport by them selves.

He wasn't that young. Thirteen is an age where kids will start to want some independence.

NSW police say DNA tests confirm the bones found during the search for Daniel Morcombe belong to the missing teen

They also have the car that was suspected to be the car he was abducted in.

I imagine they would compare the carpet fibres on the shoes they found to the car fibres and see if it matches, as apparently the car has had a few different owners since.

Forensic science will prove this. Hope like hell the family can finally receive closure.
And kudos to them for never letting the investigation just sink away, they have kept it in the media.

Yes, finally they have some (partial) closure here.

Next step is to get a conviction.

Just reading between the lines here, but it seems that the police received some very specific information about where to look and the like. The delay in charging the guy might have had to with the admissibility of where the info came from.

Whatever the case, I hope there is no ambiguity about the outcome, and if indeed it is the bloke in custody, then he stands up in court and admits to his crime.

And while I'm not one for retributive justice, I hope the scum-scraping filth endures some sort of personal hell for the remainder of his days in some prison with inmates who will never let him forget that he killed a child.

He'll never see a mainstream prison.

If he did, he wouldn't see the day out.

I'll never be able to understand this stuff.

Yes, finally they have some (partial) closure here.

Next step is to get a conviction.

Just reading between the lines here, but it seems that the police received some very specific information about where to look and the like. The delay in charging the guy might have had to with the admissibility of where the info came from.

Whatever the case, I hope there is no ambiguity about the outcome, and if indeed it is the bloke in custody, then he stands up in court and admits to his crime.

yeah ur right.

the police would of known it was this bloke for a long time. they would of been buiding a case against him all this time. finding the body is the cream on hte cake. this person (if u can him one) won't see a day of freedom ever again.

This guy sounds like he'll deny it right up until he dies. No matter the weight of evidence etc. Remember reading somewhere that the dude was involved in some sort of happy-clappy church and he left because he disagreed about some definition of 'no evil' or the like. Can't remember but it seemed pointed.

And yes, Teffy, I doubt if he'd make it out of his cell if he went into the general population.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So hard to fathom crimes like this.

I get that there are some screwed up people out there, but just cannot fathom how someone could ever make the call that their own gratification > a lost life and a lifetime of grief for parents. How could you possibly live with yourself after causing them that much pain?

This is the one area where intellectually I am quite okay with the death penalty is for anyone who abducts and murders a child in circumstances where there is no conceivable doubt as to guilt- not even for retribution, but just because someone who does that is clearly so far away from ordinary humanity that there is no practical purpose for them to remain alive- they will never get let out anyway, better to just snuff them out and save everyone the worry and angst of having them sitting in a prisonor institution someplace.

It turns out that this guy has quite a history. According to the MAKO website, he was convicted in 1994 for raping a 6 year old boy near a petrol station, and had also been convicted for molesting a 7 year old boy.

I wonder if there will ever be a possibility that victims (or their families) could take legal action against the Dept of Justice, or whoever is responsible for the pissy, inadequate sentences handed down to repeat offenders like this.

I cannot believe the amount of scums that are being let out after just a few years for such disgusting acts, especially when it's not a first offence. If this guy had received a more fitting sentence for his crimes, then Daniel would still be alive.

It turns out that this guy has quite a history. According to the MAKO website, he was convicted in 1994 for raping a 6 year old boy near a petrol station, and had also been convicted for molesting a 7 year old boy.

Yeah, I saw that the other week. Was doing some background research and there it was. I note that he's changed his name too.

Just to pick up a point of an earlier poster: I know what you mean about the death penalty. I'm vehemently against it. I can't intellectually support it. But, with cases like this one, I find myself wishing prison punishments and years of lateral retribution hammering the guy. I hope he rots and suffers and every minute is hell. I don't want him to be put to death, but I want him to suffer beyond being locked in a tiny cell until he's old enough to be dribbling like a baby.

I knew a guy through work - many years ago now - who served a murder sentence in a NZ jail. Went in very young, and was out in time to have a family, run drugs and fight in underground tournaments out in Springvale. Was a tough SOB. Anyway, he told me how they handled child killers in NZ jails and it wasn't pretty. Perhaps this is the sort of retributive (and barbaric) justice that I'm secretly looking for.

Anyway, I feel for the parents and Daniel's brothers. They've had close to 8 years where he's been frozen in time. Not knowing, but hearing every depraved thing known to man uttered about their son's fate. What they've achieved and how they've turned their loss into something to benefit all is an inspiration. And a fine testimony to the son who was taken from them so suddenly.

Gasoline-Can-psd21265.png

9831163-match-fire-115-jpg.jpg

Two things...

1. This piece of scum will get what he deserves.
2. This a very cheap option and will save tax payers dollars.

Its drastic but fair IMO.

Yeah, I saw that the other week. Was doing some background research and there it was. I note that he's changed his name too.

Just to pick up a point of an earlier poster: I know what you mean about the death penalty. I'm vehemently against it. I can't intellectually support it. But, with cases like this one, I find myself wishing prison punishments and years of lateral retribution hammering the guy. I hope he rots and suffers and every minute is hell. I don't want him to be put to death, but I want him to suffer beyond being locked in a tiny cell until he's old enough to be dribbling like a baby.

I knew a guy through work - many years ago now - who served a murder sentence in a NZ jail. Went in very young, and was out in time to have a family, run drugs and fight in underground tournaments out in Springvale. Was a tough SOB. Anyway, he told me how they handled child killers in NZ jails and it wasn't pretty. Perhaps this is the sort of retributive (and barbaric) justice that I'm secretly looking for.

Anyway, I feel for the parents and Daniel's brothers. They've had close to 8 years where he's been frozen in time. Not knowing, but hearing every depraved thing known to man uttered about their son's fate. What they've achieved and how they've turned their loss into something to benefit all is an inspiration. And a fine testimony to the son who was taken from them so suddenly.

Trouble is that no1 in australia gets 150 - 300 year sentences like in the USA for capital crimes. So, they can still get out and re-offend. Personally, I want death penalty to be reintroduced - I dont want to pay taxes for a child killer to eat, watch tv and train other crims in the jail.... Not to mention waste public money on no hope retrials (refer Julian knights).

Let's see if the bloke is actually guilty first, hey guys?

As for the DP, I'm 1000% against it. Officialdom in this country is way too corrupt to have that much power.

Let's see if the bloke is actually guilty first, hey guys?

As for the DP, I'm 1000% against it. Officialdom in this country is way too corrupt to have that much power.
He's already been convicted of prior child sex offences, so he should still be in jail IMO.

He's already been convicted of prior child sex offences, so he should still be in jail IMO.

I am generally considered a big "L" libertarian on most issues, but there seems to be traits amongst child molesters that suggest they can be rarely be cured, so I think some form of isolation from children needs to be reviewed.

I view this condition as a compulsive sickness, as I cannot see how a rational human being could engage in such behaviour. Outright punishment may not be the right way forward.

Perhaps some form of isolated productive society?

Maybe, I'm wrong.

Some input from Donners would be enlightening.

Murder is, of course, another issue.

I am generally considered a big "L" libertarian on most issues, but there seems to be traits amongst child molesters that suggest they can be rarely be cured, so I think some form of isolation from children needs to be reviewed.

I view this condition as a compulsive sickness, as I cannot see how a rational human being could engage in such behaviour. Outright punishment may not be the right way forward.

Perhaps some form of isolated productive society?

Maybe, I'm wrong.

Some input from Donners would be enlightening.

Murder is, of course, another issue.

Can they not chemically castrate them in some way? Or give them the option - be castrated, or remain in prison forever. If they truly don't want to re-offend, then they should be prepared to do anything that will stop them from doing so.

This of course wouldn't apply in the cases of murder, in which case, they should never be released.

Can they not chemically castrate them in some way? Or give them the option - be castrated, or remain in prison forever. If they truly don't want to re-offend, then they should be prepared to do anything that will stop them from doing so.

Do they really have the intellectual control not to re-offend?

Look at the alleged situation surrounding this man.

He has engaged in sexual behaviours with minors in the full knowledge of the massive negative social stigma, and penal penalties involved.

He then went to the extent of changing his name, allegedly engaging in the same behaviour again, in full knowledge of the repercussions, and then he committed murder (assumingly) in order to hide what he must have already known was a serious crime. Otherwise, why kill the kid?

So I ask you, can prison cure this man?

The logical answer is no.

Is this man a slave to his compulsions?

The logical answer is yes.

Are you "sick" when you allow your impulses to harm others?

IMO, yes.

Is it then right for a responsible society to punish a sick person for that sickness?

No.

He's obviously sick, and he should have been isolated from children in some sort of productive low security open camp prison for the rest of his days.

This of course wouldn't apply in the cases of murder, in which case, they should never be released.

He's (allegedly) taken a life and it was a young, innocent life. He will rightfully pay a massive cost for doing that.

If he is ever released then it must be to some kind of controlled environment where he can never again come in to contact with children.

"The system" has played a part in the death of this child.

Is it then right for a responsible society to punish a sick person for that sickness?

No.

He's obviously sick, and he should have been isolated from children in some sort of productive low security open camp prison for the rest of his days.

He's (allegedly) taken a life and it was a young, innocent life. He will rightfully pay a massive cost for doing that.

If he is ever released then it must be to some kind of controlled environment where he can never again come in to contact with children.

"The system" has played a part in the death of this child.
This is why I was wondering if there is any chance of legal action against "the system" by Daniel's family. Not suggesting that they would, but it may make those in the positions of sentencing these people think a bit harder before allowing them out into the community without a sufficient way to stop them from re-offending, particularly after such a short time.

If you look at the people on the sex-offenders list, nearly all of them have had multiple convictions, yet they are released time after time.

And as to whether it is right or wrong for society to punish someone for their sickness - I believe that it's more important to protect society's children from these predators, rather than focussing soley on what's good for the offender. So many innocent children have been hurt or killed by people that have had prior history, so "the system" has so far got it wrong. Protection of our kids should be the number one priority here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back