Current Murder of Daniel Morcombe

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Daniel Morecombe.....arrest made, charges laid

electric_chair.bmp

I had to visit a prison last week and was given a tour of the segregated unit, where the child killers and others needing protection are kept. Came face to face with a few names people would certainly know.

There seemed to be three types - genuinely scarey psychos you'd cross the road to avoid; mentally deficient psychos that you'd be a bit wary of; and very ordinary looking blokes you wouldn't give a second glance to.

On face value it looks like they don't have it too bad - basically a self-contained communal living type of arrangement. Kitchen etc, free to come and go from their cell to common area or outside to large lawn/garden area. In fact I imagine it's a pretty miserable existence. I can't imagine any of them really have much in common with each other in the way you'd want with a bunch of people you're spending the rest of your life with, and the outside area may be quite large but if it's your whole world it's pretty small.

If it's the sort of place this guy ends up for the next 20 years I can't imagine he'll enjoy it much.

I have visited such places and your description chimes pretty well with what I saw/experienced.

He'll never see a mainstream prison.

If he did, he wouldn't see the day out.

I heard on the grapevine that the Qld corrections types have had to be very careful with what screws are allowed near the accused, such is the depth of feeling toward the accused ... who most certainly done it. He's certainly not going near any other prisoners.

The thing that turns my stomach is that working in the media you get to know the code that is used by journos/cops/courts in many of these cases. Obviously there's the old "no suspicious circumstances" one.

The fact that they have charged him with "interfering with a corpse" is just dreadful. They don't put that on the record unless some truly horrific stuff has taken place.

I'm as bleeding heart liberal as it comes but with types like this, who can never be released from jail for society's sake, they should just be quietly put down.

Personally, I want death penalty to be reintroduced - I dont want to pay taxes for a child killer to eat, watch tv and train other crims in the jail.... Not to mention waste public money on no hope retrials (refer Julian knights).

a) Have you seen how long prisoners stay on death row in the USA (the only 'Western' nation that still has the death penalty.)? The average time is over 15 years. Either way you are paying.

b) Any reintroduction would have mandatory appeals, like they do in the USA.

There are arguments to be made for the death penalty (I won't be because I disagree with all of them, and on moral grounds) but it doesn't save money.

I heard on the grapevine that the Qld corrections types have had to be very careful with what screws are allowed near the accused, such is the depth of feeling toward the accused ... who most certainly done it. He's certainly not going near any other prisoners.

Doors do get left open by accident.

I suspect.

However, you don't have to be a kiddie tamperer for this to occur.

It was rumored that there was one bloke in Port Phillip Prison a couple of years back that managed to almost beat himself to death behind the locked door of a single cell. He was obviously an extremely talented individual. I suppose his legal actions against certain high ranking members of the DPP wracked him with guilt and pushed him over the edge of self destruction.

The legal action magically went away.

Then the law that originally enabled this legal action magically went away.

I suspect.

It was rumored that there was one bloke in Port Phillip Prison a couple of years back that managed to almost beat himself to death behind the locked door of a single cell. He was obviously an extremely talented individual. I suppose his legal actions against certain high ranking members of the DPP wracked him with guilt and pushed him over the edge of self destruction.

Funny how that happens.

The thing that turns my stomach is that working in the media you get to know the code that is used by journos/cops/courts in many of these cases. Obviously there's the old "no suspicious circumstances" one.

The fact that they have charged him with "interfering with a corpse" is just dreadful. They don't put that on the record unless some truly horrific stuff has taken place.

I'm as bleeding heart liberal as it comes but with types like this, who can never be released from jail for society's sake, they should just be quietly put down.

DD, I don't doubt the sick fracker's depravity credentials, and my mail is pretty much the same in that it's the bloke, but I was under the impression that 'interfering with a corpse' under Queensland Law was purely about disposal of a body.

Just did some googling on it.

****ing hell.

RIP Daniel

@grizzly, that does seem to be one of the definitions.

I suspect.

Oh indeed they do.

My understanding is that the blokes who killed Anita Cobby were "accidentally" left in an unlocked room in Long Bay. The guys who got them seemed to know, as if by magic, that as long as they didn't kill them, they could do what they wanted.

DD, I don't doubt the sick fracker's depravity credentials, and my mail is pretty much the same in that it's the bloke, but I was under the impression that 'interfering with a corpse' under Queensland Law was purely about disposal of a body.

I don't know enough about Qld law to be sure. It might be different up there (most things are)

I'm just going off what I know from here and in the UK. When they lay that charge it means very bad stuff has occurred.

I don't see how "interfering with a corpse" makes this matter any more horrible that it is already.

In fact, in light of what appears to have occurred, I hope the poor little bugger was killed very early.

Life is sacred, corpses aren't.

I don't see how "interfering with a corpse" makes this matter any more horrible that it is already.

Agreed that we're talking about level of depravity here that don't really bear much relation to anything normal - Oh, that bloke who kidnapped, raped and murdered the 14 year old DIDN'T interfere with the corpsxe, that as not as bad as the bloke who did - but I think for the family it is yet one more thing that will forever weigh on them

In fact, in light of what appears to have occurred, I hope the poor little bugger was killed very early.

So do I.

I've actually had the intense displeasure of meeting and talking with guys in HMP Peterhead prison, which is only for sex offenders.

The screws wouldn't tell me what they'd done but I did see one guy there who'd committed a crime comparable to this. Stomach churning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is alleged to have happened to the corpse?

I don't know specifics. As grizzly points out, it may be that under Qld law simply moving or dismembering the corpse warrants that charge.

In most other jurisdictions, the interfering with a corpse type charge means the killer then had sex with the body after death.

This is why I was wondering if there is any chance of legal action against "the system" by Daniel's family. Not suggesting that they would, but it may make those in the positions of sentencing these people think a bit harder before allowing them out into the community without a sufficient way to stop them from re-offending, particularly after such a short time.

simplistically he did his time, unless corrections let him out early without cause or failed to follow procedure.

I don't know specifics. As grizzly points out, it may be that under Qld law simply moving or dismembering the corpse warrants that charge.

In most other jurisdictions, the interfering with a corpse type charge means the killer then had sex with the body after death.

Lovely..
I may be in the minority here (in fact I almost certainly will be) but I don't think that 'interfering with a corpse' is really that significant. Sure it's not nice but on a scale of 1 to 10 if 10 is raping a live person or killing said person then interfering with a corpse is a 2 or 3 for me.

I actually think assault/kidnapping etc is far worse.

a) Have you seen how long prisoners stay on death row in the USA (the only 'Western' nation that still has the death penalty.)? The average time is over 15 years. y.

Correct the anti capital punishment campaigners in the US use studies that show it costs more to execute than life in prison. Given our labor costs are higher and I would presume our prisons are to a higher standard, the legal costs here would be huge ias well.

Having said that in this case it may well be worth it, not for any revenge, but just to make absolutely sure he never can do it again.

That certainly seems to be the case it can be an indecent act or any indignity to the corpse . As I understand it they have found a few bones so the indecent act after death may be a stretch ATM.

Having said that in this case it may well be worth it, not for any revenge, but just to make absolutely sure he never can do it again.

You can't allow it mate.

There's far too many crooks with state sanctioned powers.

I'm a big fan of the death penalty. Obviously you don't just give it out willy nilly but there are certain cases where it's more than deserved, but the bigger issue here is that this guy was allowed back into society after two rape convictions against little boys. This country needs to start making people accountable for royal f*** ups like that.

It turns out that this guy has quite a history. According to the MAKO website, he was convicted in 1994 for raping a 6 year old boy near a petrol station, and had also been convicted for molesting a 7 year old boy.

. I'm religious so I'm naturally against death penalty but if I saw someone doing that I honestly wouldn't stop myself from belting the person I saw doing it, man or woman.

The best to Mr and Mrs. Morecombe and on poor Daniel's soul.

Did anyone know Daniel was a twin? :confused:

Was reported in todays paper. His brother gave an interview saying how he was going to go with him that day and how he believes had he gone they probably wouldnt have been taken.

This story just gets sadder...

Yeah, horrible for the surviving twin.

If any of you posters have young kids......don't let them get public transport by them selves.

Come on, it's not the fault of the parents letting him go out by himself. He was 13, not 5. Jesus, I got public transport by myself every day when I was 13.

There's just no preventing crimes like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back