reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady
I don’t think I’ve seen a profession which is just full of nepotism/APSm than AFL football media

Off the top of my head we have:

1. Tom Browne - Jeff Browne’s son
2. Sam Maclure - son of former the Age columnist - can’t wipe the smug of his face
3. Xander McGuire - son of Eddie - gets a name check by Caro etc every episode these days
4. Jobe Watson - guy is borderline incoherent has a special comments role because his dad is Tim who has been with 7 nearly 25 years
5. Caroline Wilson - dad was the former Richmond president
6. Tom Morris - Melbourne grammar boy quite close with Caroline etc
7. Sam Lane daughter of Tim
8. Tony Sheehan the hunter Biden of afl media
9. Mark Commetti son of Dennis calls for MMM Perth

Now I’m not saying that some of these guys are not talented but it is a crazy industry - feels like your family tree is more important than the degree!

I don’t think I’ve seen a profession which is just full of nepotism/APSm than AFL football media

2. Sam Maclure - son of former the Age columnist - can’t wipe the smug of his face
3. Xander McGuire - son of Eddie - gets a name check by Caro etc every episode these days
4. Jobe Watson - guy is borderline incoherent has a special comments role because his dad is Tim who has been with 7 nearly 25 years

Now I’m not saying that some of these guys are not talented but it is a crazy industry - feels like your family tree is more important than the degree!
Sarah Jones and Christi Malthouse as well spring to mind.
It'll be Chompers' son soon. He already works at 9 but hasn't risen through the ranks as quickly as Xander McGuire.

your family tree is more important than the degree!
Sad you place such importance on a media/Comms degree....it is basically a qualification that tells you what not to do. Anyone who is remotely bright should be able to be a journo, very rare that the old timers went to uni or even finished high school..but bright people who are outsiders are dangerous. It's the modern world I guess...was looking through the job ads the other day, and was taken by an auto parts delivery driver...that had a tertiary qualification as a pre-requisite! Bugger that for a joke!

Sad you place such importance on a media/Comms degree....it is basically a qualification that tells you what not to do. Anyone who is remotely bright should be able to be a journo, very rare that the old timers went to uni or even finished high school..but bright people who are outsiders are dangerous. It's the modern world I guess...was looking through the job ads the other day, and was taken by an auto parts delivery driver...that had a tertiary qualification as a pre-requisite! Bugger that for a joke!

I think you missed the point - id much rather someone who put the hard yards in than someone who got the job because their dad was someone or they went to school and had mates whose parents who had an in.

I think it is pretty embarrassing that the footy media is full of such examples

Railing against nepotism is easy, fashionable....doing so against gender quota's or ethnic quota's - which have basically the same result as nepotism - yeah not so easy. May I ask why you didn't include Rohan Connolly and father Keith?

What was the pre-requisite tertiary qualification?

Spelling and pronounciation are certainly NOT pre-requisites.

The last journo I corrected on Twitter blocked me! 😆

Railing against nepotism is easy, fashionable....doing so against gender quota's or ethnic quota's - which have basically the same result as nepotism - yeah not so easy. May I ask why you didn't include Rohan Connolly and father Keith?

Feel free to create a thread on gender or ethnic quotas in the afl media. I’d say you’d have a pretty bare thread on the latter. This thread is about nepotism

I didn’t know about Rohan’s father let’s add him to the list

Yes, we all know you have a brain the size of a small planet - but sadly, nobody loves you.

Sarah Jones and Christi Malthouse as well spring to mind.
It'll be Chompers' son soon. He already works at 9 but hasn't risen through the ranks as quickly as Xander McGuire.

Chompers himself got a job at 9 thanks to close connection to Lou Richards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like young Commetti.
Jobe is a good example of why we should take concussion seriously. If they had of looked after Timmy a bit better in his playing days we might be able to understand him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back