Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Considering we are now at the half way mark of the year, it's probably a good time to sit back and reflect on the smart moves we made at the start of the year and conversely the terrible original squad selections and/or trades made since.
So much of my early season planning went out the window with the pre season injuries to Preuss and Marshall. Preuss was to be the cheap no 2 ruck who would be the sole ruck at GWS and Marshall was to be my fwd/ruk allowing me to play a minimum priced R3 who also had dual position status. As it turned out Flynn became Preuss' replacement so all was not lost. My error was using Meek as my R3 thinking I could generate a fair bit of cash from him. As a result I had to find a non player somewhere else. With such a lack of defender rooks I made my D6 a Kangaroos non player enabling me to use him for the captain's loophole. Meek ended up making no money and it simply cost me a trade to get rid of him.
I was convinced that Cockatoo would get a regular game with Brisbane and even though he wasn't named round 1 due to a minor hamstring issue, I kept him in the squad. I'm still waiting for him to debut.
I missed on Impey which was a huge error in hindsight
With the sides not being named until the night before, I got stuck with Jones being in my initial squad. His pre season form suggested he was a certainty for round 1 but it was my error in not looking at team selections the night before their game. Once I realised he was not playing, it was too late. A rookie error! I'm so annoyed with that because I'm not a rookie. The week after I traded him out, he gets selected to play. :mad:
Without a doubt there were three or four selections made at the start of the year that set me back horribly and I was playing catch up ever since as a result. I've told myself so many times to take no notice of what happens in practice matches but I got sucked in again. Z Williams, DeGoey and Clark were horrible early selections. With Williams about to miss round 1, I should have bailed out then but didn't.
Equally as bad, was changing Grundy as my R1 to Witts. Grundy was kind enough to repay me for this slight by scoring 150+ in the first H to H match of the year. Obviously all my opponents had the vc on him that night. To rub salt into the wound Witts did his ACL that same week.
Copping early injuries/suspensions hurt as well. First week of trading was taken up with getting rid of both Dangerfield and Rowell.
2 trades - team no better. After round 4 I got rid of Gaff. All the experts tell us that once you have selected a premium, you stay the course unless something extraordinary has occurred. I thought it had. In the first 2 rounds it appeared that his WC team mates simply refused to kick the ball to him. Believing that this was the case and he's not the type to go and get his own ball, it seemed a logical decision. Another trade which turned disastrous.
I seemed to cop injuries to players as soon as I brought them into my team as well such as Ridley and Neale. Other long term injuries to Dunkley and Stephenson were suffered by many other coaches as well.
So, unlike a few of you others posting here, I don't have any good news to report over the first 12 rounds which explains why I am now languishing in the 650 range of ranking.
How does your report card read for the first half of the year?

Last edited:
Not getting Poulter after 3 games haunts me. He was still like 210k at that stage but I couldn't justify getting him after a price rise. DPP to boot

Meanwhile I bought Chapman, Farrar and Weightman all 220k or more

Getting Oliver over Parish just because I already had Zerrett was pretty silly

Started off steady 572nd then up to 206th after R2 then the car crash of R3 {Down to 845th}
then R4 {Down to 1251}
Never recovered and have stayed virtually the same since.
R3 had 10 scores under 77.

My starting team was:

Lloyd, Laird, Docherty, Short, Kozi, Sharp (Butts, Briggs)
Macrae, Merrett, Walsh, Taranto, Brayshaw, Rowell, Gulden, Powell (Jordon, Scott, McNeil)
Gawn, Grundy (Treacy)
Impey, De Goey, Phillips, Warner, Campbell, Brockman (Rowe, O.Henry)

Trades
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.20.06 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.20.17 pm.png

Team now (Bold denotes players kept from my starting team):

Whitfield, Lloyd, Docherty, Short, Cumming, Markov (Newman, Murphy)
Duncan, Macrae, Merrett, Walsh, Taranto, Mitchell, McCluggage, Petracca, (Laird, Bianco, Robertson)
Gawn, Grundy (Reeves)
Ziebell, Hall, Impey, CCJ, Treacy, Waterman (Briggs, Madden)

So ive kept 13/30 original players

Best trades:

Round 2 - Rowell & O.Henry > Ziebell & Flynn
Round 3 - Sharp > Markov
Round 4 - JDG > Cumming
Round 6 - Phillips & Campbell > Titch & Robertson
Round 9 - Warner & Butts > Hall & RCD

Worst Trades:
Round 7 - Dunkley & Rowe > Marshall & Farrar
Round 10 - Marshall & Bergman > Duncan & Waterman

So i feel like most weeks i've got my trades right but recently a few have gone wrong. Picking up Duncan instead of Zorko as i had initially planned, turned out poorly given Duncan gave me 62 (inj), DNP, DNP while Zorko went 100, 125, 118. Picking up Marshall for scores of 84, 75, 50 (inj) also proved a poor move. Newman knocking himself out when on track for 100+ was also tough to watch for not just fantasy reasons but he did well to manage 75 points before doing so. Given the bye, 12 days elapses before Carlton's round 14 game, so hopefully he can play that round.

As a whole i think ive been reasonably lucky with not too many injuries/suspensions/rookie fails but the last few rounds (Duncan, Marshall & Newman) my luck has changed slightly. I feel like my team is still in a good position but given those little doses of poor luck, my ranking has slipped from a season high of 6 after round 8 to 36th after round 12. I'm still hopeful that i can finish the season strongly but i maintain if i finish top 50 overall ill be content given if offered i would've taken that ranking prior to the season starting.

So now i have 9 trades and 3 upgrades to go for my forwardline. However, i currently have 7 backs who could be called keepers and 9 mids so i will have the luxury of trading Markov/Cumming/Newman to a forward using Briggs' DPP. Then i can even trade either Murphy or a 2nd of those 3 options to swing Laird back and upgrade to another forward. Its good to have options i suppose. At this stage it looks like ill be keeping 4-5 trades for injuries in the back end of the season which im hoping is enough!

Looking at my season as a whole, i'm pretty happy but a lot can happen between now and the end of the season so ill have to ride the highs and lows, and hopefully finish well.

Not getting Poulter after 3 games haunts me. He was still like 210k at that stage but I couldn't justify getting him after a price rise. DPP to boot

Meanwhile I bought Chapman, Farrar and Weightman all 220k or more

Getting Oliver over Parish just because I already had Zerrett was pretty silly
I did exactly the same and it cost me a number of league wins.

My starting team was:

Lloyd, Laird, Docherty, Short, Kozi, Sharp (Butts, Briggs)
Macrae, Merrett, Walsh, Taranto, Brayshaw, Rowell, Gulden, Powell (Jordon, Scott, McNeil)
Gawn, Grundy (Treacy)
Impey, De Goey, Phillips, Warner, Campbell, Brockman (Rowe, O.Henry)

Trades
View attachment 1149871

View attachment 1149869

Team now (Bold denotes players kept from my starting team):

Whitfield, Lloyd, Docherty, Short, Cumming, Markov (Newman, Murphy)
Duncan, Macrae, Merrett, Walsh, Taranto, Mitchell, McCluggage, Petracca, (Laird, Bianco, Robertson)
Gawn, Grundy (Reeves)
Ziebell, Hall, Impey, CCJ, Treacy, Waterman (Briggs, Madden)

So ive kept 13/30 original players

Best trades:

Round 2 - Rowell & O.Henry > Ziebell & Flynn
Round 3 - Sharp > Markov
Round 4 - JDG > Cumming
Round 6 - Phillips & Campbell > Titch & Robertson
Round 9 - Warner & Butts > Hall & RCD

Worst Trades:
Round 7 - Dunkley & Rowe > Marshall & Farrar
Round 10 - Marshall & Bergman > Duncan & Waterman

So i feel like most weeks i've got my trades right but recently a few have gone wrong. Picking up Duncan instead of Zorko as i had initially planned, turned out poorly given Duncan gave me 62 (inj), DNP, DNP while Zorko went 100, 125, 118. Picking up Marshall for scores of 84, 75, 50 (inj) also proved a poor move. Newman knocking himself out when on track for 100+ was also tough to watch for not just fantasy reasons but he did well to manage 75 points before doing so. Given the bye, 12 days elapses before Carlton's round 14 game, so hopefully he can play that round.

As a whole i think ive been reasonably lucky with not too many injuries/suspensions/rookie fails but the last few rounds (Duncan, Marshall & Newman) my luck has changed slightly. I feel like my team is still in a good position but given those little doses of poor luck, my ranking has slipped from a season high of 6 after round 8 to 36th after round 12. I'm still hopeful that i can finish the season strongly but i maintain if i finish top 50 overall ill be content given if offered i would've taken that ranking prior to the season starting.

So now i have 9 trades and 3 upgrades to go for my forwardline. However, i currently have 7 backs who could be called keepers and 9 mids so i will have the luxury of trading Markov/Cumming/Newman to a forward using Briggs' DPP. Then i can even trade either Murphy or a 2nd of those 3 options to swing Laird back and upgrade to another forward. Its good to have options i suppose. At this stage it looks like ill be keeping 4-5 trades for injuries in the back end of the season which im hoping is enough!

Looking at my season as a whole, i'm pretty happy but a lot can happen between now and the end of the season so ill have to ride the highs and lows, and hopefully finish well.
When looking at your original squad, it just proves again the point that if you don't get that right, you are playing catch up for the remainder of the year. Of the starting 22, De Goey was the one and only poor choice and because of that you were able to get him out of your squad early. Unlike myself who had multiple problems to try to fix in the first 4-5 weeks.
I'm a little surprised you didn't start with Ziebell or Heppell. I felt they both represented great value. Imagine if you started with Ziebell in lieu of De Goey and Heppell rather than Brayshaw. Add to that starting with Flynn rather than Treacy. I don't quite see your logic with that other than you may have thought Treacy would not play at all hence he would be your non player for the year.
If you have the right starting squad you are always a real chance to be a top 10 contender as you have proved this year.
Well done.

When looking at your original squad, it just proves again the point that if you don't get that right, you are playing catch up for the remainder of the year. Of the starting 22, De Goey was the one and only poor choice and because of that you were able to get him out of your squad early. Unlike myself who had multiple problems to try to fix in the first 4-5 weeks.
I'm a little surprised you didn't start with Ziebell or Heppell. I felt they both represented great value. Imagine if you started with Ziebell in lieu of De Goey and Heppell rather than Brayshaw. Add to that starting with Flynn rather than Treacy. I don't quite see your logic with that other than you may have thought Treacy would not play at all hence he would be your non player for the year.
If you have the right starting squad you are always a real chance to be a top 10 contender as you have proved this year.
Well done.
I nailed almost all of my premiums for sure. Rookies were pretty good and trading Henry & Sharp early proved wise moves. I feel like trading to Ziebell, Cumming and Markov early has helped significantly. Even if Markov and Cumming dont make my final side, i got them pretty cheap and they've allowed me to start 0 rookies in defence since round 4.

I didn't get Flynn instead of Treacy purely because i didnt have the cash but in hindsight i couldve started Treacy forward and gone with Flynn over O.Henry. Lets just say im happy i could rectify that mistake with a single trade. I honestly don't know what has been better, my starting side or my trading but im just happy to be up there.

Good luck has played a fair part, but i feel like my luck has started to fade slightly (as i mentioned) and ill probably need that to change if i have any chance of coming top 10 or better.

I nailed almost all of my premiums for sure. Rookies were pretty good and trading Henry & Sharp early proved wise moves. I feel like trading to Ziebell, Cumming and Markov early has helped significantly. Even if Markov and Cumming dont make my final side, i got them pretty cheap and they've allowed me to start 0 rookies in defence since round 4.

I didn't get Flynn instead of Treacy purely because i didnt have the cash but in hindsight i couldve started Treacy forward and gone with Flynn over O.Henry. Lets just say im happy i could rectify that mistake with a single trade. I honestly don't know what has been better, my starting side or my trading but im just happy to be up there.

Good luck has played a fair part, but i feel like my luck has started to fade slightly (as i mentioned) and ill probably need that to change if i have any chance of coming top 10 or better.
Good trading plays a large part in the success or otherwise of our teams but I'm still convinced the biggest issue is to get your original squad right. If you do, you are making trades to make your team better rather than making corrective trades which don't actually improve your team from where it should be.
Guns and rooks is generally the best policy although a couple of mid pricers are ok (such as Heppell and Ziebell) this year.

Good trading plays a large part in the success or otherwise of our teams but I'm still convinced the biggest issue is to get your original squad right. If you do, you are making trades to make your team better rather than making corrective trades which don't actually improve your team from where it should be.
Guns and rooks is generally the best policy although a couple of mid pricers are ok (such as Heppell and Ziebell) this year.
Thats true. I think nailing starting squad is more important than trading but obviously they feed into eachother. Given the luck ive had this season its felt 'easier' to improve my team with trades than it ever has for me before, because as you said, i dont have to waste many trades on correcting initial mistakes. By contrast, a few seasons ago i made way too many initial mistakes and it made it very difficult to improve my team enough to get anywhere and i finished ranked 1001st. That was my worst season for a while and it definitely made me realise that some starting teams are too hard to come back from. If you nail your starting squad and most of your early trades it obviously becomes a lot easier to carry that momentum on and keep improving it on a weekly basis. Obviously you do need luck with regards to injuries etc but i would have to agree that starting team trumps trading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back