The Hangar Computer / Computer Building Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't you feel better when you owned music or shows? Now you own a subscription to somebody else's library... I feel an old man yell brewing
I mean there aren't just subscription services, you can buy a copy of something if you really love it. But if you're only going to listen to it twice, for a grand total of five minutes altogether, then you don't really need to own it, do you? And then there's storage and the risk of files getting corrupted. So then you've paid for a copy of a file that you don't actually have anymore – sometimes they'll let you redownload it but then again you're effectively locked into someone else's library, as you can only redownload it from that one retailer.

I have CDs of the good stuff... I feel like if you have a CD you really own it. <presuming you still own a CD player>

That said, I own plenty of books. I still buy the murdered tree kind and then buy more before I've read the first one so they kinda accumulate 🤣 I guess that's kinda like your music buying habit.

I mean there aren't just subscription services, you can buy a copy of something if you really love it. But if you're only going to listen to it twice, for a grand total of five minutes altogether, then you don't really need to own it, do you? And then there's storage and the risk of files getting corrupted. So then you've paid for a copy of a file that you don't actually have anymore – sometimes they'll let you redownload it but then again you're effectively locked into someone else's library, as you can only redownload it from that one retailer.

I have CDs of the good stuff... I feel like if you have a CD you really own it. <presuming you still own a CD player>

That said, I own plenty of books. I still buy the murdered tree kind and then buy more before I've read the first one so they kinda accumulate 🤣 I guess that's kinda like your music buying habit.

The father in law loved Microsoft flight simulator on his PC back in the day, he asked me this year, should I buy an Xbox so I can play flight Sim? He was perplexed that you could only download the game on the hard drive, he shook his head, nup, I don't trust it, I need the discs and the book and the cover..

Didn't you feel better when you owned music or shows? Now you own a subscription to somebody else's library... I feel an old man yell brewing

I used to keep a massive digital library, copied all my cd’s in to digital format as well. And I’d had quite a lot of CDs to that point. Used Winamp instead of iTunes etc etc. eventually moving to iTunes and using the setting Lore screenshot so I could keep my library intact.

Then over the years i realised I only tended to listen to a song here or there, very rarely a whole album at a time, and ended up with something like Spotify being far superior for how I listen to music.

I have a record player, and a few records for when the tactile nature of putting music on needs to be satiated, but 99% of my music listening (if not just having the radio on) is via Spotify for the convenience factor.

I was similar with books, until I bought a kindle, now much as I dislike Amazon I mostly read books that way.

I used to keep a massive digital library, copied all my cd’s in to digital format as well. And I’d had quite a lot of CDs to that point. Used Winamp instead of iTunes etc etc. eventually moving to iTunes and using the setting Lore screenshot so I could keep my library intact.

Then over the years i realised I only tended to listen to a song here or there, very rarely a whole album at a time, and ended up with something like Spotify being far superior for how I listen to music.

I have a record player, and a few records for when the tactile nature of putting music on needs to be satiated, but 99% of my music listening (if not just having the radio on) is via Spotify for the convenience factor.

I was similar with books, until I bought a kindle, now much as I dislike Amazon I mostly read books that way.

The only thing I like about Spotify is when I start listening to something i like and then it sneaks in a few new bands that are in the genre that I didn't know about. I guess the algorithm has it's plusses

The only thing I like about Spotify is when I start listening to something i like and then it sneaks in a few new bands that are in the genre that I didn't know about. I guess the algorithm has it's plusses

Definitely a great way to be exposed to similar artists that I haven’t heard before, the concept of ‘owning’ the music has long since stopped bothering me but was the main reason I avoided Spotify for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back