The old suburban VFL/AFL grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the plan for Windy Hill now? Will they demolish it? I recall watching the Essendon league grand finals there a few years back. will they still be held there or are they moving on as well?

And where is the Motordome and what became of it?
I'm guessing Windy Hill will still continue to host the Essendon District Football League finals. Where else could they play their Grand Finals that could hold that many people (I'm talking about VFL grounds around the EDFL)?

Would be nice if the EDFL move from their Airport West HQ to Windy Hill.

Here are some other photos that I took at Princes Park on Saturday.

This was one of the toilets in the old John Elliot Stand. It looks like somebody has been squatting in there judging by the mattress.

CAM01277_zpsd77bef97.jpg

I enjoy looking at the graffiti scattered across the old grounds as it tells a lot about the history of the ground.

CAM01278_zps5140ef80.jpg

CAM01279_zpsd860cc70.jpg

This was in the old Hawthorn Stand.

CAM01293_zps2e97b14a.jpg

This wan on the back of the fence near where the cheer squad used to sit.

CAM01295_zps87598ae1.jpg

This is the visiting teams race from the AFL days. They removed those first few rows to stop the ferals from abusing them.

CAM01294_zps47f80870.jpg

The umpires race from the AFL days.

CAM01324_zps8c199f41.jpg

I still enjoy the 1920's archiecture of the Gardiner Stand, even though it was a poor viewing stand.

CAM01323_zpsec390be0.jpg

CAM01325_zps5d0ab2c2.jpg

CAM01326_zps358ceb6a.jpg

Out on the ground, there was an old fashioned glue pot in the middle of the ground.

CAM01322_zpsf663f50a.jpg

With the days of modern stadiums, I miss how time on in the last quarter, usually around 4:30pm on a winters afternoon would often be played in near dark conditions due to lack of lighting.

CAM01315_zpsd04d9a75.jpg

CAM01316_zps6ba7990f.jpg

CAM01317_zps6e593740.jpg

CAM01318_zps7cec2948.jpg

The old corporate boxes have been turned into offices

CAM01314_zps20d926ed.jpg

It's unusual how the stairs that take you up to the top levels leave you with excellent views of the local parkland. Every second Saturday these grass banks would be full of kids and their parents having a kick of the footy.

CAM01309_zps9becfb1d.jpg

CAM01283_zps6b98fa79.jpg

CAM01275_zps7eb4bc8d.jpg

I still think Princes park was not as badly located as its made out to be.

Some sort of access to the eastern freeway, + extensions thereof. ( remembering that eastlink now makes the eastern a far more attractive route ).
Some sort of pedestrian way to Royal Park Station.
= No problemo.

Teagueeee15 you should see the s**t written at Vic Park; s**t being the operative word. The best stuff is in the old benches. I always end up wondering what the girls who loved Paul Licuria in 2002 are up to now, or where the kid with 'Go Pies 96' is now. I wonder if they remember writing it all. Up in the Sherrin Stand, the old booths there have poems to Glenn McGrath and now redundant hotmail email addresses promising a good night. The girls seemed so keen they'd probably give you a good anything any time of day, actually...

But it is a nice part of the old footy ground, it reminds you that these places saw real things unfold. Actual people had connections to them and felt emotions in their seats. It's kind of sad when you see the texta's fading and one day their comments'll be totally gone but in a way, that's the point: everything goes.

I think that's what I like as much as the architecture and discovery at old venues. Somewhere so profound reduced to a place to walk dogs, hold boxes, or be rubble-in-waiting.

I still think Princes park was not as badly located as its made out to be.

Some sort of access to the eastern freeway, + extensions thereof. ( remembering that eastlink now makes the eastern a far more attractive route ).
Some sort of pedestrian way to Royal Park Station.
= No problemo.

I'm always staggered at the amount of times I see posted on the main board that Princes Park is hard to get to. It seems as though it gets repeated often enough that it's now assumed to be fact. The tram stops right out the front and another stops a 5 minute walk away in Lygon Street, Royal Park train station is no more than a 10 minute walk away and so is the Bus terminus at Melbourne University. The club had a permit that allowed the surrounding parkland to be used as a car park on match days, so all forms of transport were feasible depending on which form you preferred.

Teagueeee15 you should see the s**t written at Vic Park; s**t being the operative word. The best stuff is in the old benches. I always end up wondering what the girls who loved Paul Licuria in 2002 are up to now, or where the kid with 'Go Pies 96' is now. I wonder if they remember writing it all. Up in the Sherrin Stand, the old booths there have poems to Glenn McGrath and now redundant hotmail email addresses promising a good night. The girls seemed so keen they'd probably give you a good anything any time of day, actually...

But it is a nice part of the old footy ground, it reminds you that these places saw real things unfold. Actual people had connections to them and felt emotions in their seats. It's kind of sad when you see the texta's fading and one day their comments'll be totally gone but in a way, that's the point: everything goes.

I think that's what I like as much as the architecture and discovery at old venues. Somewhere so profound reduced to a place to walk dogs, hold boxes, or be rubble-in-waiting.

I must admit to never taking note at Vic Park, I just assumed that it was all painted over or sanded out. As for what those people are doing know, well there were some girls that I went to school with who used to graffiti the same stuff about Brodie Holland, Nick Davis...etc and they are in the pies cheer squad now. I'm also a bit worried about how you know those email addresses are redundant :p

Very prophetic take on all this Silent Alarm. I do appreciate the romanticism behind it all too, though. This is a great thread.

I feel saddened that I never got to see any AFL games at a suburban ground (unless you count Kardinia Park pre-reno, went there about 10 times).

I did get to check out the Vic Park clubrooms in 2002 though, a couple of months before the grand final at one of those club clinics. Presti took us into the 'video theatre' downstairs which was an old square room with a projector, I think it was Anthony Rocca that was guiding us towards the Darren Millane Boxing Ring (with a great image of the "Raging Bull" behind the ring), then potting snapshots with Alan Didak at the far end of the ground, near an old sign for "Club 92"?? It was a Collingwood thing, I can't remember if I've got the number right though.

When all that was said and done, you'd get the autographs on the back of your jumper. I still have my cream and black Pies jumper with a felt #5 ironed on the back. It sits in the bottom drawer and smells like an op-shop but all the autographs are still there. I can still remember Leon Davis routinely signing kids' backs like it was mundane data entry, but merely 50 metres away you'd have Jason Cloke kneeling down on the wing in front of the R.T. Rush Stand, "Wipe Off 5" advertising behind him. He had only a small line of kids given his less than celebrity-like status at the club, but my Mum adored how patient he was with everyone who waited. Cloke would say hi, ask how the kid's day had been, who their favourite player was... Mum never liked Mick Malthouse for letting go of J. Cloke!

I must admit to never taking note at Vic Park, I just assumed that it was all painted over or sanded out. As for what those people are doing know, well there were some girls that I went to school with who used to graffiti the same stuff about Brodie Holland, Nick Davis...etc and they are in the pies cheer squad now. I'm also a bit worried about how you know those email addresses are redundant :p
Geez, hope they looked better then than they do now!

Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon and St.Kilda are the only 4 Vic sides that have set up HQ away from their original home.

Could any of the other Vic sides follow?

I guess it depends on if Carlton/North/Bulldogs are satisfied with their facilities.

Geelong/Melbourne/Richmond would be staying put.

Melbourne? Their original home was the MCG, and they have since trained at a number of places. And, if you want to be very technical, Geelongs original home was Corio Oval, they only moved to Kardinia Park after WWII.

Richmond will probably move to Craigieburn at some point, in my opinion.

Melbourne? Their original home was the MCG, and they have since trained at a number of places. And, if you want to be very technical, Geelongs original home was Corio Oval, they only moved to Kardinia Park after WWII.

Richmond will probably move to Craigieburn at some point, in my opinion.
why on earth would they move to Cragieburn as they are in the perfect location at punt road. in Rhichmond next to the MCG. by far the best location of any victorian team

Very prophetic take on all this Silent Alarm. I do appreciate the romanticism behind it all too, though. This is a great thread.

I feel saddened that I never got to see any AFL games at a suburban ground (unless you count Kardinia Park pre-reno, went there about 10 times).

I did get to check out the Vic Park clubrooms in 2002 though, a couple of months before the grand final at one of those club clinics. Presti took us into the 'video theatre' downstairs which was an old square room with a projector, I think it was Anthony Rocca that was guiding us towards the Darren Millane Boxing Ring (with a great image of the "Raging Bull" behind the ring), then potting snapshots with Alan Didak at the far end of the ground, near an old sign for "Club 92"?? It was a Collingwood thing, I can't remember if I've got the number right though.

When all that was said and done, you'd get the autographs on the back of your jumper. I still have my cream and black Pies jumper with a felt #5 ironed on the back. It sits in the bottom drawer and smells like an op-shop but all the autographs are still there. I can still remember Leon Davis routinely signing kids' backs like it was mundane data entry, but merely 50 metres away you'd have Jason Cloke kneeling down on the wing in front of the R.T. Rush Stand, "Wipe Off 5" advertising behind him. He had only a small line of kids given his less than celebrity-like status at the club, but my Mum adored how patient he was with everyone who waited. Cloke would say hi, ask how the kid's day had been, who their favourite player was... Mum never liked Mick Malthouse for letting go of J. Cloke!

Subi's not that far off suburban.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Subi's not that far off suburban.
It definitely still lingers at Simonds and Subi. That one end down in Geelong is straight out of 1980; there's that massive toilet where the urinals and taps flow into one massive trough, the dankness of the brick and concrete, the way the concourse is just open to the elements in the one AFL town that shouldn't be... then there's the poor sightlines, the lack of shelter, the massive terrace. Not to mention the intimidation of a joint full of Cats fans. And the train trip. It's the last lingering beacon of the traditional afternoon at the footy. It's not going anywhere, but if they turfed it as an AFL venue, people would wax lyrical about that – we're lucky to still have just that. And we're lucky it's a once-yearly trip...

Gibbsy should come to Subi though. It's suburban, just on a communist-era scale. It's grey and dull, there's no colour, there's no easy walkways with a food court, there's no elevators or 15-metre wide concourses. There's tiny little stairs and seat space so limited, you're going to be going numb by the second quarter even if you're not 6 foot. It's in a nice suburb with plenty of decent cafes around, it's a train trip away, there's the parochialism of one-sided crowds... one day it'll be gone and the romanticism will linger, but it's a shithole.

Why would a third team, that'd struggle to allure, play at an inferior venue that does anything but allure?! It's like playing the Swans at the SCG and giving the Giants Kogarah Oval.

Established sides playing at the larger new stadium, while WA3 gets time to build their fan base at the smaller ground... perhaps joining their big brothers at the new ground further down the track.

Alright, are there any grounds in Melbourne not yet covered in here? I'm talking even VFA/VFL grounds, but I'm also thinking of any of the NSL soccer grounds?

Alright, are there any grounds in Melbourne not yet covered in here? I'm talking even VFA/VFL grounds, but I'm also thinking of any of the NSL soccer grounds?

From the AFL, I haven't done Geelong or Toorak Park. I'm hoping to get Toorak Park done soon, but Geelong is unlikely as the Northern Blues don't play there this season and it's probably to hard to get a ticket to an AFL game there.

There was a separate thread for VFA grounds and I've only done Coburg, Brunswick and Preston from memory and others have done Port Melbourne and Box Hill.

NSL grounds is a good shout and I've done lakeside oval, but most apart from the big clubs look pretty disappointing on Austadiums.

From the AFL, I haven't done Geelong or Toorak Park. I'm hoping to get Toorak Park done soon, but Geelong is unlikely as the Northern Blues don't play there this season and it's probably to hard to get a ticket to an AFL game there.

There was a separate thread for VFA grounds and I've only done Coburg, Brunswick and Preston from memory and others have done Port Melbourne and Box Hill.

NSL grounds is a good shout and I've done lakeside oval, but most apart from the big clubs look pretty disappointing on Austadiums.
And a lot of the soccer teams play well, well out of town: Sunshine, St Albans. Areas I'm not hugely keen on!

I see Toorak Park is right on High Street and three stops from Richmond... that and a trip to American Apparel might get me over the line...

I'm going back to Simonds Stadium in about a month when Freo's down there. It's a Saturday night game I think, it'll be cold as sin, but I might try and grab a few photos of the Ablett Terrace where I'll no doubt be shunned to.

And a lot of the soccer teams play well, well out of town: Sunshine, St Albans. Areas I'm not hugely keen on!

I see Toorak Park is right on High Street and three stops from Richmond... that and a trip to American Apparel might get me over the line...

I'm going back to Simonds Stadium in about a month when Freo's down there. It's a Saturday night game I think, it'll be cold as sin, but I might try and grab a few photos of the Ablett Terrace where I'll no doubt be shunned to.

I went to Kardinia back when Carlton last played there, I was 9 at the time. I stood on that terrace and it will be interesting to see how it's evolved as it looks exactly the same on TV. The entrance was more like what I'd expect to see at a border checkpoint. There wasn't any turnstiles, just a bloke in a booth making visual checks on tickets and waving you through.

There is so much room at Princes Park and its surrounding area I honestly don't see why Carlton didn't stay. I understand they've had heaps of money troubles for the past decade and they would've probably needed to rebuild the stands. This however would've allowed it to become that "boutique stadium" that people have been talking about. North, Bulldogs and Melbourne could've played the interstate sides there. I suppose this was Ian Collins' doing when he was head of Carlton and Etihad/Colonial stadium or whatever it was called at the time? I mean I hate Carlton of course :p, but IMO there was sufficient room to put in some more updated stands. The AFL is rolling money they could've contributed.

Silent Alarm I like reading your nostalgic posts about these grounds. They really are a representation of a different time. I only have feint memories of once going to Whitten Oval and also Princes Park as a child, but looking back I'm happy I went. Obviously things are "better" now, but it would've been a fantastic experience.

There is so much room at Princes Park and its surrounding area I honestly don't see why Carlton didn't stay. I understand they've had heaps of money troubles for the past decade and they would've probably needed to rebuild the stands. This however would've allowed it to become that "boutique stadium" that people have been talking about. North, Bulldogs and Melbourne could've played the interstate sides there. I suppose this was Ian Collins' doing when he was head of Carlton and Etihad/Colonial stadium or whatever it was called at the time? I mean I hate Carlton of course :p, but IMO there was sufficient room to put in some more updated stands. The AFL is rolling money they could've contributed.

Silent Alarm I like reading your nostalgic posts about these grounds. They really are a representation of a different time. I only have feint memories of once going to Whitten Oval and also Princes Park as a child, but looking back I'm happy I went. Obviously things are "better" now, but it would've been a fantastic experience.

It was potentially a good stadium, the problem was it belonged to Carlton.
Carlton themselves were too big for it , and actually benefited by playing at the larger stadiums.
I don't think they were inclined to let ( for example ) North or someone else to adopt it, without charging crazy high prices. ( Another good reason to hate Carlton :D ).

35000 would have been a pretty handy size.
AFL should have purchased a lease from Carlton, and built them a training facility EXTERNAL to the stadium.

It was potentially a good stadium, the problem was it belonged to Carlton.
Carlton themselves were too big for it , and actually benefited by playing at the larger stadiums.
I don't think they were inclined to let ( for example ) North or someone else to adopt it, without charging crazy high prices. ( Another good reason to hate Carlton :D ).

35000 would have been a pretty handy size.
AFL should have purchased a lease from Carlton, and built them a training facility EXTERNAL to the stadium.

In 2002 the ground was contracted to host 9 matches. In 2002 Carlton only played 4 home matches at Optus and flirted with Etihad by playing 4 home games there. This meant that the Bulldogs, Melbourne and North played home games at Optus to make up the difference and unfortunately the crowds were atrocious and some drew less than 10k from memory. People just aren't willing to venture away from the CBD to watch footy matches anymore.

Politically I don't think the government were interested in funding any improvements to the ground and the club couldn't afford it. The ground isn't situated around marginal seats like Kardinia Park was, so buying votes by doing up the electorates favourite footy ground wasn't an option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back