Coaching Footy Thread for Sharing Coaching Drills, Resources & Tips

Remove this Banner Ad

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm sure I'm just one of many on this site who are involved in some capacity with junior footy - either as parent, coach, manager or helper.

I'd love to have a single thread where folks could share their suggestions, experiences and know-how about coaching - and in particular that old chestnut about what drills I should run at training this week.

Please feel free to share any and all relevant information (esp. links to good online resources) that might help those of us moving the magnets on a Friday night, Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon :cool: to be a bit more efficient or effective in helping the next generation of footy lovers on their journey.

TIA, Bob

I've ran my site called aussiesrulestraining.com since 2009 initally with a focus on strenth and conditioning but now 99% focused on coaching and has been for the last 5 - 6 years.

My tip is for jr coaches is it isn't what drills you do, but why you're doing them

I finished my AFL Junior Coaching course a few weeks ago, but not yet coaching a team. Both my boys are in Auskick this season, but I'm going to put my hand up to coach next year (Year 3s).

cptkirk makes a great point re: 'why' because as an sideline observer, I can see the current coach for my Yr2 Auskick son isn't thinking about this at all, let alone strategically planning what each of the drills will develop in the kids to be better footballers at the end of the season. The 1 or 2 10min drills then into a 30min game where the skilled kids just run circles around all the others. No development and no fun.

Also, the resources for junior and senior footy is so vastly different. Prob would be good idea to have them separated in the forum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back