Today...

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagle_Fan

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2000
Wooshaville
AFL Club
West Coast
... is my brothers birthday, and I've been relatively emotional and misty eyed all day.

Not because baby brother is now an adult,

Not because he being able to buy his own beer means I lose my last bargaining power,

And not for the memories of the last 18 years.

But today is the first anniversary of that momentus day when we sacked Ken Judge. How time flies when you're having fun huh? I think it's extraordinary to compare where we are today to where we were one year ago.

"I love you Whoosha" indeed! :)

EF. ;)

*btw... we appointed Whoosh on my b'day, best present ever!

Not to the same extent, no :( Actually, I'm pretty sure my family think I'm mad. :p

Wasn't anyone else ecstastic when KJ was shown the door? :confused: I'd been waiting two years for it!

Darky- If I get a crazed stalker it's entirely your fault.

Originally posted by Eagle_Fan
Not to the same extent, no :( Actually, I'm pretty sure my family think I'm mad. :p

Wasn't anyone else ecstastic when KJ was shown the door? :confused: I'd been waiting two years for it!

Darky- If I get a crazed stalker it's entirely your fault.

I was very happy when he was shown the door but i was also apprehensive as the only guy i wanted was Whoosha and it wasnt certain we could get him. But in the end we did and now look where we are :D

Happy as Larry and Larry is pretty damn happy!

Originally posted by Eagle_Fan
Wasn't anyone else ecstastic when KJ was shown the door?

Ohhh yes. I was wrapt.
There seemed so much negativity when he was coach. IMHO, they were darker days than the Todd era.

Ahh, what a truly momentous occasion.

Was very pleased when they sacked Judge, and absolutely delighted when they appointed Woosha.

It's been a great year. :)

Doesn`t ANYONE feel sorry for Judge and the run he had with injuries?

How would Woosha have coped with the same scenario?

Y`all didn`t know that I`m related to Suzi did ya?

I've got nothing personal against Ken Judge - he seems to be a nice enough bloke, but when we hired him up until the day we sacked him I believed coaching was not for him.

I was sick and tired of his negativity around the club. Sure we had bad injuries and not a full squad to choose from, but coaches are meant to look for positives and ways to turn the club around. His body attitude shown at training and press conferences were a real downer on the club.

I believe we've been so successful this year because Woosha has given the young players more respect, authority and belief in their game. Last year we were playing as individuals, this year as a collective unit.

Thank god we didn't get Neil Craig!

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes

He was originally the eagles preferred candidate, but pulled out of the running as he didn't want to leave SA. Funny how well things turned out for us. Must of been fate ;)

He was interviewed on sport for Channel Ten tonight. He looked like Damien Drums brother :eek:

Doesn`t ANYONE feel sorry for Judge and the run he had with injuries?

For KJ injuries was just an excuse to justify his lack of coaching ability. Good coaches like Malthouse and Woosha don't talk much about it. They just replace them for young and inexperienced players and make them believe they are as good as the "star" players they are replacing.

Originally posted by Geonet

For KJ injuries was just an excuse to justify his lack of coaching ability. Good coaches like Malthouse and Woosha don't talk much about it. They just replace them for young and inexperienced players and make them believe they are as good as the "star" players they are replacing.

I'd have to agree with that. Woosha has missed Read and Morrison for the whole season while Gardiner, Wilson, Siera, Prior, Jones and Gaspar have all missed large chunks of the season with injuries. Yet we're in the finals.

KJ just kicked up a fuss with every injury we suffered. Injuries never really justified the players onfield attitudes though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but I disagree.

You have to have the players to replace the injured stars, and we didn't. Woosha would have done no better with that team in win/loss last season. The magnitudes of the losses is where he may have faired better, but the squad KJ was left with was never going to make the 8.

Originally posted by larrikin

Sorry but I disagree.

You have to have the players to replace the injured stars, and we didn't. Woosha would have done no better with that team in win/loss last season. The magnitudes of the losses is where he may have faired better, but the squad KJ was left with was never going to make the 8.

I agree....but it still doesnt explain his negativity.

Sorry but I disagree. You have to have the players to replace the injured stars, and we didn't. Woosha would have done no better ...

The reality is that Ken Judge was one of the worst coaches ever and a serial excuser ! His winning record in six years of coaching was a poor 32% and while coaching the Eagles his record was a pitiful 27%. He wasn't only a below average coach with the Eagles but he was also incompetent at the Hawks. With the exception of one year the Hawks finished always near the bottom of the ladder. They only became competitive after Judge left them. Even Malthouse last season had a go at KJ on his constant injuries excuses. Ken Judge wasn't very organized, the team lacked discipline and in regard to motivation the team was a complete disaster. The players last year had basically given up under Judge.

Footy and in fact most sports are mental games. You win and lose games based solely on the confidence of your players, no matter how skillfull they are. The ability to motivate his players, sense of organisation, an eye for details, lack of whinging tendencies among many other things, are some of Wooshas skills. In conclusion Woosha would have done far better than KJ last year. He would have done what he did this year. Get the young guys well coached, pump them up with confidence and play them in front of 50,000 people.

The reality is that Ken Judge was one of the worst coaches ever and a serial excuser ! His winning record in six years of coaching was a poor 32% and while coaching the Eagles his record was a pitiful 27%. He wasn't only a below average coach with the Eagles but he was also incompetent at the Hawks. With the exception of one year the Hawks finished always near the bottom of the ladder. They only became competitive after Judge left them. Even Malthouse last season had a go at KJ on his constant injuries excuses. Ken Judge wasn't very organized, the team lacked discipline and in regard to motivation the team was a complete disaster. The players last year had basically given up under Judge.

Footy and in fact most sports are mental games. You win and lose games based solely on the confidence of your players, no matter how skillfull they are. The ability to motivate his players, sense of organisation, an eye for details, lack of whinging tendencies among many other things, are some of Wooshas skills. In conclusion Woosha would have done far better than KJ last year. He would have done what he did this year. Get the young guys well coached, pump them up with confidence and play them in front of 50,000 people.

Agreed.

And the one year Judge "got Hawthorn to the Finals" was his first year in charge!

Last night was a perfect example of football being played above the shoulders. Collingwood were without their best player and captain, the injured Buckley - therefore they had no chance? I don't think so.

The negative people at work - "the Eagles have got no chance against the Kangaroos, they've only one one game away this year and that was by one point away to the bottom team, so it doesn't count." Some people have lost the game as they get off the bus - others take it one week at a time (yes!) and believe in their disciplined plan.

Does anyone seriously believe that KJ would have coached the Eagles to a win in Canberra? When challenged by North, would the players have felt good about themselves and believed they could win? Would we have played such daring, attacking football to achieve home wins like against Brisbane and Hawthorn this year?

Bah.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back