News Tom Lynch - RFA, Captaincy Rescinded

Remove this Banner Ad

People give Lynch s**t for how he speaks but last night at half time he spoke really well. I think he's more confident when he's not talking about himself (contract) or the team line (one week at a time ect) It was a much more natural chat i think it's something he's trying to improve.
Agree he was quite upbeat and I liked his galvanised team remark.

Im curious to know how the collingwood potential loss of darcy moore will affect this. Id imagine if darcy moore doesnt re sign and requests a trade the pies will throw everything including the kitchen sink at tom. Probably something ridiculous like 2 million a year.

Im curious to know how the collingwood potential loss of darcy moore will affect this. Id imagine if darcy moore doesnt re sign and requests a trade the pies will throw everything including the kitchen sink at tom. Probably something ridiculous like 2 million a year.
It’s a concern but we can’t do anything about that. Tom will be well paid no matter where he is. We can only hope that he is invested in the club and it’s success

Moore and De Goey are both out of contract and I'm sure they desperately want to keep them. But when you hear Moore say "I want to focus on returning to fitness" and DeGoey saying "I want to focus on my football" then you know it's generally cryptic for 'I want more money'.
They are hamstrung with $500K a season deals with Wells and Mayne for another year to come.

I actually think there are a lot of men who believe in loyalty and seeing things through.......much higher than 1%.
There is to be no goodwill shown to deserters.

So whilst I would absolutely love this sentiment, loyalty etc to still be around it isn't. Footy at AFL level isn't just Footy any more. For players AND clubs it's an industry, a workplace, a job.

The only place for loyalty is for the fans, members, supporters.

We all get our knickers in a twist when a player might leave (look at us last year with Dusty) and cry loyalty or deception.
But what loyalty does a club show when they no longer want a player.... Delisted in a heart beat. What if said delisted player wants to stay at that club because he is loyal, happy to play for 50k if need be, nope gone....

So while I would love for footy to still be about loyalty and ownership of a common goal... The reality it isn't.

So whilst I would absolutely love this sentiment, loyalty etc to still be around it isn't. Footy at AFL level isn't just Footy any more. For players AND clubs it's an industry, a workplace, a job.

We all get our knickers in a twist when a player might leave (look at us last year with Dusty) and cry loyalty or deception.
But what loyalty does a club show when they no longer want a player.... Delisted in a heart beat. What if said delisted player wants to stay at that club because he is loyal, happy to play for 50k if need be, nope gone....

So while I would love for footy to still be about loyalty and ownership of a common goal... The reality it isn't.

You are mainly right but also wrong. There are people that have higher values and convictions than those down on the base levels of humanity.

Yeah, nah. The Lions and Hawks threepeats show you're wrong. Plenty of players who could have made salary demands, trade demands and didn't because they'd rather show club loyalty with all the rewards that go with it. Even Dusty's decision to stay at the Tigers on less money smacked of his loyalty.

The Suns are trying to build a club culture - you can appreciate that this kind of culture can't be bought, manufactured or installed - with May and Lynch as the 2 leaders to put the pieces around. There's a 2nd year CEO and first year coach with an untried List Management team that will have to deal with whatever decision Lynch makes, whether that's onward and upward with an extension or "nice to know you, mate, now you'd better hope the Tigers have a trade deal worth our time because we might send you to the Blues instead!"

If Lynch goes, it's a 2 year extension on our rebuild while we wait for KPPs to mature and the next generation of midfielders to come through. There a already 12 Queenslanders on the Suns List now and plenty more to come, which was part of the Lions threepeat recipe for success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really
The point your average blatherbuster makes about Tasmania is "heartland"
They have virtually zero competition from Soccer Rugby or League
I seem to remember some stat being bandied around about Tassie not having any kids in the 2017 draft for the first time?

Tas 27
NSW 51
Qld 45
WA 114
SA 101
NT 17
International 16
Vic 436
Tassie is doing pretty well per capita
Where is the ACT? They have a population bigger than NT and almost as big as TAS.
Not really
The point your average blatherbuster makes about Tasmania is "heartland"
They have virtually zero competition from Soccer Rugby or League
Tasmania doesn't even have enough AFLW players to make a team.
People have been kicking this can around since the 90s, but it's never gonna happen.

Where is the ACT? They have a population bigger than NT and almost as big as TAS.

Tasmania doesn't even have enough AFLW players to make a team.
People have been kicking this can around since the 90s, but it's never gonna happen.
ACT have no players. hence not in the list.

Is Tom going to China, staying home or will he be going down to Melbourne and looking at offers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's probably not worth taking and better off doing rehab at the club. I think he's heading home over the bye to talk with his manger.

Yeah, nah. The Lions and Hawks threepeats show you're wrong. Plenty of players who could have made salary demands, trade demands and didn't because they'd rather show club loyalty with all the rewards that go with it. Even Dusty's decision to stay at the Tigers on less money smacked of his loyalty.
The Lions I agree with, but that was 18 years ago that began, no free agency and nowhere near the $ available now.

The Hawks actually prove my point, you do realise A LOT of their success relied upon players from other clubs right...
Burgoyne
Hale
Lake
Frawley
McEvoy
Gibson
Guerra
Gunston
Spangher

All premiership players from their 3 peat recruited from other clubs. Yes their other players like Hodge, Mitchell, Roughy etc all stayed for less money, but even that couldn't keep buddy at the club...

ACT have no players. hence not in the list.
Alex Jesaulenko came from the ACT, as did James Hird. Phil Davis and Josh Bruce are among top current players from ACT.

My point is that you would do better to show figures from the ACT in order to highlight other States and the NT in comparison. I suspect these figures include ACT's figures in NSW, which is an unfair representation since NSW actually has the lowest ratio of players per population and ACT may, in fact, have a fairly good ratio.
I seem to remember some stat being bandied around about Tassie not having any kids in the 2017 draft for the first time?
Tasmania just went undefeated in the Academy Series. They will have plenty of players in this year's Allies squad.

The Lions I agree with, but that was 18 years ago that began, no free agency and nowhere near the $ available now.

The Hawks actually prove my point, you do realise A LOT of their success relied upon players from other clubs right...
Burgoyne
Hale
Lake
Frawley
McEvoy
Gibson
Guerra
Gunston
Spangher

All premiership players from their 3 peat recruited from other clubs. Yes their other players like Hodge, Mitchell, Roughy etc all stayed for less money, but even that couldn't keep buddy at the club...
Yeah, I get what you're saying in regards to building a win now list through free agency, but for every one of the guys you named there were AFL calibre players running around for Box Hill in the hope of eventually cracking into the Hawthorn Senior team. Same thing happened at Geelong, although they really did prove your point with many Premiership players leaving and getting pushed out once they were past it. However, for a time they had a bunch of father-sons and Geelong Falcons recruits running around and it looked like loyalty had been revived.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back