News Tom Lynch - RFA, Captaincy Rescinded

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem I have with draft picks is we get so excited about drafting awesome new talent ie the top 4 we had two years ago but show me one who has been AFL ready in a year let alone two, we are still waiting for the awesome foursome to make an impact - other clubs seem to find the odd one here and there that become stars in a year or two but we are not a strong enough culture to develop them that quickly
Gotta throw some life changing deals at some matures too to get some hardness and toughness around our group and blokes who can stare down a losing culture and turn the ship around
I agree with this, but we can do that as well as drafting elite players with 2 & 3. The kinds of players you would be targeting for Lynch just don't want to come here. That's the reality of it unfortunately.

It is going to be a tough decision by club , pick 3 will deliver us a ready made 18yo which sounds promising along with pick 2 or we can gamble what we can get out of other teams , interesting times.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is going to be a tough decision by club , pick 3 will deliver us a ready made 18yo which sounds promising along with pick 2 or we can gamble what we can get out of other teams , interesting times.

I have to disagree with ready made. It will take at least 2-3 years as is the case with Ainsworth, Bowes,...
E.g. Walsh is barely 73 kg, King brothers 82kg while 202cm.

For the last couple of years top 3 choices have all played round 1

Big difference between playing round 1, and actually being ready made.
the first occurs all the time, the second barely exists at all.
clubs want to play the top draftees to keep supporters interested - often the top draftee that gets the games early is one of the least effective players in the team and is keeping a more effective toiler out of the team. Sure they'll likely be good, but it wont be for 2+ years

Big difference between playing round 1, and actually being ready made.
the first occurs all the time, the second barely exists at all.
clubs want to play the top draftees to keep supporters interested - often the top draftee that gets the games early is one of the least effective players in the team and is keeping a more effective toiler out of the team. Sure they'll likely be good, but it wont be for 2+ years

I said ready made 18yos , can’t do much more than make round 1 team.

Sure, if you're making the team because you're actually one of the 22 best best players on the list. most of the time these high draft picks that get a game round 1 aren't. (and to be honest if they are the club is in dire straits)

The potential of these players is unquestionably obvious. What you really need to ask yourself is - Is Sam Walsh better than our 22nd best player on any given week? If he is (which I'm pretty confident he is) then he improves our best 22 right from the start and we then go about developing him into the best player he can possibly be. Same goes for whoever we take with pick 3.

Gotta throw some life changing deals at some matures too to get some hardness and toughness around our group and blokes who can stare down a losing culture and turn the ship around

Absolutely.
And by reports we have tried to get quality players like Tom Mitchell, including offering more than any other club.
Suspect we are doing the same with Lloyd from the Swans (who would play pure midfield for us, not half back flank).

The bit that I have not liked is that we don't then pivot towards plan B who are good older players who are getting squeezed out by good clubs. Needed a couple more Barlow types at the back end of the list.

It is harder to do than say, since you have to give up the chance to get a potentially longer term player. But having too many young players does not work very well either.

And rookie listing players that are good blokes and are happy to be here instead of some hard experienced heads from other clubs has not helped either.

We picked up Davis and Holman who have been decent picks. But we also rookie listed Brookers for 2017 and Willis for 2018.

Would much rather have Andrew Swallow as a rookie this year than Willis, simply for off-field leadership and training standards coming from a captain that played in multiple finals series. Harsh on Willis and Brookers, but fair for a club trying to set some foundations.

Sure, if you're making the team because you're actually one of the 22 best best players on the list. most of the time these high draft picks that get a game round 1 aren't. (and to be honest if they are the club is in dire straits)
2016 - Andrew McGrath , Taranto , Mcclugage , Ainsworth , setterfield( injuries ) look not too bad
2017- Cameron Rayner , Andrew Brayshaw , paddy Dow , LDU, Cerra , Stephenson look alright .

Ready made does not mean ready to play Round 1 , if pre season they have injuries their debut will be delay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm over draft picks. We need ready made players.

I agree, we built the wrong culture/environment for high draft picks to flourish. It's far more important to have established players to influence and build a culture, we can't keep relying on 18 yearolds to do that because it has not worked for 7-8 years.

Carlton have had about 5x #1 draft picks in the past 10-11 years have only played finals once... we have had a plethora of first round picks as well, no finals. Brisbane much the same, but they have some decent mature players in Zorko, Beams, Martin, Robinson. Just sick and tired of being sick and tired...

Must persevere and stick fat, but something is amiss and need to land a good free agent or 2.

The cold, hard reality is we are not capable of appealing to existing A grade talent in the AFL (right now). It's easy to say let's go out and get someone like Dustin Martin with all the free cap space we have but the reality is he has no interest in coming here. The best we can hope for is B+ talent from other clubs and even then we have to overpay to get them up here. This is what I believe is happening with us chasing Jake Lloyd at the moment and most likely what we did with Lachie Weller last year.

The only way we get A grade talent into the club, in the current state we're in, is through the draft. If we fill our list with B graders then we are going to be a mediocre, mid-ladder team for multiple years before having to commit to a rebuild at some point in the future.

The good news is things will change once players believe we have opened our premiership window and are regularly in finals contention. That's how GWS were able to appeal to a player like Brett Deledio.

I really like Draft pick especially those in the third round and Rookie pick. No pressure picking mature age , or those who get overlooked in previous draft . The success will depend on picking up player in different age group. Sydney and Richmond ,melbo Melbourne are great example , Llyod , Papley, Ronke , Jayden Short , Graham , Flitsch , Oskar Baker .

I’m 100% sure the club will keep pick 2 and play Roulette with 3..

Adelaide would be a good partner with 2 picks inside the top 15 and could find some steak knifes.

Wants 1 of the 2 SA guns

Pardon the intrusion.
If you end up 17th and get a compo pick for Lynch, that would be a superb result.
Imagine Sam Walsh and King in your side? Just think about that for a second.
7 years for Lynch seems ludicrous given he is 28 and has dodgy knees. I hope we don't offer him that.
Anyway, the circus will continue.
We went through it with Dusty last year.

Pardon the intrusion.
If you end up 17th and get a compo pick for Lynch, that would be a superb result.
7 years for Lynch seems ludicrous given he is 28 and has dodgy knees. I hope we don't offer him that.
QUOTE]
What if we told you he's only 25?

Must persevere and stick fat, but something is amiss and need to land a good free agent or 2.
If we land a free agent or 2, we might not get such generous compensation for losing Lynch. If Lynch leaves as a free agent, we'd be better to trade for senior players, rather than pick up free agents this year.

No....F U and F Richmond for wanting to plunder a bottom team when you are on the verge of back to back Premierships....the sickening self-entitled arrogance of you. I’ve followed NRL most of my life but one thing I remember clearly about your mob is it spitting on its own coach and players when it struggled and now you want to take the bottom teams best players.

Go shove your compo up where the Sun doesn’t shine which certainly isn’t the beautiful Gold Coast where it’s always sunny.

PAY UP!

Love it when Boddsy fires up.

Pardon the intrusion.

Well they can have one of them regardless of Lynch anyway. Feels like you are being a bit tricky lumping them together as though they are both compensation for Lynch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back