News Tom Lynch - RFA, Captaincy Rescinded

Remove this Banner Ad

There are reports that Lynch is already paid $1M this year. If AFL wants to help us why not let's say top up $1.1-$1.2M M with ambassador money to $1.5M? If Suns pay him $1.5M directly from salary cap I would think it will have effect on signing Wright, Martin,.. I would hope that Lynch is a team player ready to sacrifice a bit (no need for it if we get ambassador assistance). We already got May supposedly just under $1M.

1.5mil a year is huge. I would like to see how he performs first half of the season before I would feel comfortable laying that sort of money down. If he goes back to 2016 form, sign him up. If he plays like he did last year, then I would worry about that kind of coin.
His manager knows all he has to do is wait until we panic, we will then sell our souls to sign him up

Its called the Weller principle

His manager knows all he has to do is wait until we panic, we will then sell our souls to sign him up

Its called the Weller principle

First he needs to go on trade radio and Lynch tell them that Mark Evans has promised to pay him whatever he wants so that our new list manager's balls have been serrated clean off before negotiations take place.

:p

To add to the discussion though, I'd be comfortable going up to 6 mil for 5 years (maybe around 8.5 mil for 7 years if contract length is the main point of contention). That's the maximum, though - if anybody wants to pay more than that, they're welcome to. I'd also front-load it due to the youth we have being paid lesser amounts at this time (also, have a sneaking suspicion that front-loading will increase any draft concessions if somebody does manage to steal Lynch away), that way in years to come we should be able to fit a number of stars from the last few drafts into our salary cap.

To add to the discussion though, I'd be comfortable going up to 6 mil for 5 years (maybe around 8.5 mil for 7 years if contract length is the main point of contention). That's the maximum, though - if anybody wants to pay more than that, they're welcome to. I'd also front-load it due to the youth we have being paid lesser amounts at this time (also, have a sneaking suspicion that front-loading will increase any draft concessions if somebody does manage to steal Lynch away), that way in years to come we should be able to fit a number of stars from the last few drafts into our salary cap.

Plus whatever the AFL want to throw in

Don’t know about Front Loading after we got burnt by The Little Wierdo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hm, just thinking what it will take to extend May next year. We don't want to spend all money on Lynch and May.
I'm not even comfortable paying Lynch more than May, which is the assumption already for 2018. Having them on alternating contracts was good strategy by Clayton because it meant not having to negotiate with both at the same time. Even better is the prospect of ambassador dollars.

If Buddy dollars are the yardstick, how does Lynch compare to Buddy? More's the point, how successful has Sydney's headhunting of Buddy been for the Swans? If they had never bought Buddy, is it possible that Sydney could have actually had more success with the money? Could the Swans have kept Tom Mitchell and bought someone like Jarryd Lyons?

Tom Hawkins is probably a better comparison with Lynch at this stage. He's on Maysie money and a a team friendly salary, $4 million over 5 years. With ambassador cash and $800-900K, Lynch money becomes Buddy money and Evans can pay Hall, Fiorini, Lemmens, Kolodjashnij and several other guys due for extension. This talk of $1.5 million a year is ridiculous and I don't want him if that is the price tag.

Also, see Jake Niall's write up about how much Gillon McLachlan loves his Suns over on the Media thread. Gill's got us covered, but Tommy has to sign a contract and gamble on whether or not he will still get ambassador money if he jumps ship.

1.5mil a year is huge. I would like to see how he performs first half of the season before I would feel comfortable laying that sort of money down. If he goes back to 2016 form, sign him up. If he plays like he did last year, then I would worry about that kind of coin.

IMG_0194.JPG

I can’t see him playing like he did in 2016 when he’s tagged so heavily like in the pic attached.. on Sunday at one stage I counted 5 players on him

When Rocket turned up and told supporters that we are years from making the finals and started the “it’s no excuse but...” mantra that was a self-fulfilling prophecy of Rocket Mediocrity.

In his new business coaching enterprise his mantra is "under promise, under deliver"

Apparently he is receiving a lot of work from the public service sector.

Think this proves how much of a hypocrite eddie mcguire is all those years he spent whinging about Sydney getting extra money in their cap and chris Judd getting 3rd party deals from Visy.

He also had a go at Gill McLachan late last year when Gill said the afl will pay Tom Lynch to be an ambassador for the afl in Qld Eddie said on his breakfast show it shouldn't be allowed it's cheating the salary cap.

But all of a sudden it's ok for a player at his club.

Sounds like Gillian McLachan had enough of Eddie. have a listen to the audio from the fox footy launch on Wednesday night.

It's about Lynch getting ambassador money from the afl and listen to Eddie when Gill turns the table on him.

Starts listing from 1:09:42 finishes at 1:10:55

https://omny.fm/shows/sportsday/wednesday-march-7

Think this proves how much of a hypocrite eddie mcguire is all those years he spent whinging about Sydney getting extra money in their cap and chris Judd getting 3rd party deals from Visy.

He also had a go at Gill McLachan late last year when Gill said the afl will pay Tom Lynch to be an ambassador for the afl in Qld Eddie said on his breakfast show it shouldn't be allowed it's cheating the salary cap.

But all of a sudden it's ok for a player at his club.

Sounds like Gillian McLachan had enough of Eddie. have a listen to the audio from the fox footy launch on Wednesday night.

It's about Lynch getting ambassador money from the afl and listen to Eddie when Gill turns the table on him.

Starts listing from 1:09:42 finishes at 1:10:55

https://omny.fm/shows/sportsday/wednesday-march-7
I read that 3 of the 4 highest paid ambassadors are at Melbourne Clubs,

AFL great Leigh Matthews says Tom Lynch is “a bit overrated”.

It follows reports several clubs are considering throwing multi-million dollar deals at the Gold Coast forward.

Speaking on Sportsday, Matthews said while he was a fan of Lynch, there were other potentially available players – such as Jeremy McGovern – he preferred.

“I think he (Lynch) is a bit overrated – that type of player, I think, is a bit overrated,” Matthews said on 3AW.

“The only place he’s worth $1.5 million is the Gold Coast Suns because they just can’t afford to lose him.”

Click PLAY below to hear more on Sportsday

https://omny.fm/shows/3aw-sportsday/leigh-matthews-says-tom-lynch-is-a-bit-overrated

It follows reports several clubs are considering throwing multi-million dollar deals at the Gold Coast forward.

Speaking on Sportsday, Matthews said while he was a fan of Lynch, there were other potentially available players – such as Jeremy McGovern – he preferred.

“I think he (Lynch) is a bit overrated – that type of player, I think, is a bit overrated,” Matthews said on 3AW.

“The only place he’s worth $1.5 million is the Gold Coast Suns because they just can’t afford to lose him.”

https://omny.fm/shows/3aw-sportsday/leigh-matthews-says-tom-lynch-is-a-bit-overrated
Pretty much agree with that. not sure I'd use that wording, but the premise is right.

Good stuff. We need more commentators saying things like this. It plays into our hands. Thanks Lethal.

Does anyone know what Damien Hardwick said that meant that Richmond had to formally apologise?
Tigers have contacted the Suns, but they're not sorry

Sam McClure

Richmond have confirmed they have contacted the Gold Coast Suns regarding Damien Hardwick’s comments on Tom Lynch, but the Tigers are adamant they did not issue an apology because they “have nothing to apologise for”.

In an interview that was meant to air on Fox Footy on Wednesday night, and appeared in News Corp papers on Tuesday, Hardwick spoke openly about his admiration for the Suns captain, who is out of contract at season’s end.
1520493168922.jpg

Gold Coast co-captain Tom Lynch. Photo: AAP
The Age understands that Richmond’s list manager Blair Hartley contacted his Gold Coast counterpart Craig Cameron and Suns CEO Mark Evans to apologise for the comments.

But while the Tigers confirmed contact was made, they were adamant no one said sorry.

“We certainly have done nothing to apologise for, (the contact) was just on the back of the article, just to make sure they’re OK,” Richmond footy boss Neil Balme told The Age.

“Any conversation that Blair has with them was between him and them, but we certainly didn’t apologise because we’ve got nothing to apologise for.

“The problem with the article is that it was written as if it was done (after Hardwick re-signed). It was recorded ages ago.”

Balme explained that Hardwick was asked a series of questions in a pre-recorded interview conducted weeks ago that would be aired during their second JLT clash with North Melbourne.

“He was asked: would you be interested? Like 17 clubs his response was: of course we would be!

“If he had his time again what he would say is: I don’t comment on contracted players.

“Whilst we are sensitive to it because we went through the same thing with Dusty last year, it was certainly not an apology.

We've got nothing to apologise for. We’re not trying to undermine anyone, we’re not proactively doing anything. Whatever will happen will happen.”

Hardwick’s comments have not gone down well with the Suns, including Evans, who left his position at the AFL to help turn the franchise around.

The Age understands that several key figures at the Gold Coast were also expecting Hardwick himself to make direct contact with the club to issue an apology.

“Those sort of players very rarely come out of contract, especially with free agency … to not cost draft picks, you probably make room for that type of player,” Hardwick said in the interview.

“He’s an incredible athlete, great player and a great leader by all accounts. The quality of those sort of players don’t come out often, so you’ve got to have a look at it

“You are actually allowed to do this. We do talk to players that are out of contract … It’s an uncomfortable situation because I’m talking to opposition players and opposition clubs are talking to my players, it’s probably not a great look for our game.

“I’d rather it just took place at the end of the year. This is prior to round one — we’re already speaking about Tom Lynch who’s got a whole year to play at a club that he’s heavily invested in.

“Look, we do (meet them). It’s not something I overly enjoy doing. I love meeting the kids, they’re great. The worst thing about being the coach is you fall in love with every single one of them. You want them all at your footy club. It’s part and parcel of what we do.”

Suns coach Stuart Dew was reluctant to add fuel to the fire when asked about the situation during a media conference on Thursday.

"It's outside noise to us, whether it's from another coach, other teams, media, we're not concerned," he said.

"It happened all last year, it'll happen all next year, sometimes I'll have to deal with it, sometimes I won't.

"To be honest, it comes and goes in one day. It's a little bit irrelevant."

When contacted about the situation, the AFL said it would prefer opposition players weren’t spoken about publicly by clubs, but also stated there were no rules against it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back