Tough Beats

Remove this Banner Ad

Im putting this as a tough beat...only online.

Playing a $5 tourney, 200 runners 40 left, I have 4h-8h in the small blind, click call, then after a few seconds think nah I wont, every1 quick folds before it gets to me and it calls for me, Im like crap.

Flop, 4-8-9...thinking, hello, maybe this was meant to be. Player 1 checks, player 2 bets 2xbb i call, 1 folds. turn a blank, he goes all in, i think for a bit....I call.

He shows 9-8...:mad:

I don't know if I would have called the all-in. I'm assuming the board is nine high... would he put all of his money in with a pair of nines? Maybe, but if he's a player, probably not... I don't know. Personally, I would have waited for a better spot (and or hand). Tough call.

I also thought I'd post these bad beats I found online (WSOP beats).

1995 WSOP Main Event: Brent Carter busts Barbara Enright

Carter calls in the small blind. Barbara moves all-in from the big blind, and Carter calls... with 6-3 off-suit. Enright has pocket eights. Enright has Carter covered - a totally baffling call as he would have been busted had he lost... and not flopped a six and a three, busting Enright out in fifth. God damn.

2002 WSOP $1,500 NL Hold'em: Layne Flack busts Philip Marmostein

Flack had 195k in chips, Marmostein had 80k, and was on the button. Flack opened for 15k, and Marmostein called. Flop comes T-T-8, check, check. The turn is a 4, and Flack bets 15k. Marmostein calls. The river is a second 4, and Flack pushes. Marmostein beats him in the pot and shows 4-4 for quads.

Except, Flack had pocket tens.

2002 WSOP Main Event: Robert Varkonyi busts Phil Hellmuth

Pretty famous bad beat. Blinds at $1,200/$2,400. Varkonyi opens in early position for $8,000, and Hellmuth re-raises to $25,000. Varkonyi says he's all-in, and pushes his remaining 98k. Phil calls and shows A-K of hearts. Varkonyi shows... Q-T of clubs. Varkonyi hits a Q, and it's bye bye Phil.

2002 WSOP Main Event: Phil Ivey takes a big hit

On a flop of A-3-x, both Ivey and John Shipley put their money in the middle. Ivey shows 3-3 for trips, Shipley shows A-K for a pair of Aces. The turn is an Ace. Shipley is down to one out, the remaining Ace. No, this isn't from a movie. It hits, giving Shipley quads. Many think Phil would be the 2002 WSOP Champ today had the card not hit.

2003 WSOP Main Event: Chris Moneymaker sucks out Humberto Brenes

Both see a flop of K-9-2. Brenes makes a big bet of $70,000. Moneymaker raises him "all of his chips, about 120,000." Brenes quickly calls. Moneymaker shows 8-8, Brenes pocket rockets. Turn = Eight of clubs.

2003 WSOP Main Event: Ivey busted Part Deux, via King Luckbox Moneymaker

Moneymaker raises pre-flop, Ivey calls. Flop comes Q-Q-x. Check, check. Turn comes a 9. Moneymaker bets $200,000, and Ivey moves all-in. Moneymaker calls and shows A-Q for trips, but Ivey shows pocket nines for a full house. River = Ace. Game over.

I saw a pretty arsey call today.
one guy raises 25 before the flop. Every one out except for one guy who calls him. WITH 9 7 OFF SUITE. This guy however was sitting on a lot of money.
What comes out
9 7 7 cant remebr the rest thats all that matters.
the whole table couldn't believe it.

Knowledge said:
I saw a pretty arsey call today.
one guy raises 25 before the flop. Every one out except for one guy who calls him. WITH 9 7 OFF SUITE. This guy however was sitting on a lot of money.
What comes out
9 7 7 cant remebr the rest thats all that matters.
the whole table couldn't believe it.
your story is pointless without context, such as the game, blinds, limits, positions. was this 1/2 NL?

red+black said:
your story is pointless without context, such as the game, blinds, limits, positions. was this 1/2 NL?

well AFAIK Knowledge is always playing 1/2 NL so a raise to 25 is very significant and position wouldnt matter. I could be wrong though.

Borgsta said:
well AFAIK Knowledge is always playing 1/2 NL so a raise to 25 is very significant and position wouldnt matter. I could be wrong though.
always 1/2 NL.correct sir.

Why 25 at 1/2 blinds? I'm assuming he has a reasonable stack... I'm sorry, I just fail to see the point in raising so much pre-flop.

Okay, maybe if the table is very loose and you want to get heads up with a big hand... but still, 25?

And, like R+B said, this is why information and context is important.

Crosby87 said:
Why 25 at 1/2 blinds? I'm assuming he has a reasonable stack... I'm sorry, I just fail to see the point in raising so much pre-flop.

Okay, maybe if the table is very loose and you want to get heads up with a big hand... but still, 25?

And, like R+B said, this is why information and context is important.

Yeah 25 is a massive raise unless there have been like 7 callers before it gets to him ($17 in the pot). Surely the table was loose, otherwise the guy raising was just a bad player. Lots of guys get the rockets and force everyone out with terrible raises. I did it when I was starting out.

I'm gonna add this beat I just saw after watching an episode from season four of the WPT. Two amateurs playing heads up.

The flop is 2-x-K. Ricardo Fajesto, the chip leader, bets $1,000,000 (it was an overbet from memory). Al Ardebili immediately says he's all-in. Fajesto takes about three minutes before making an unbelievable call with A-2, and has Ardebili, who flips up 2-3, dominated. The turn - a 3. Ardebilli starts running around like a jackass, hugging his wife and high-fiving his buddies. The turn is a blank, and Fajesto is crushed, after making such a great call. Next hand, he's all in with nothing, and it's done.

Crosby87 said:
I'm gonna add this beat I just saw after watching an episode from season four of the WPT. Two amateurs playing heads up.

The flop is 2-x-K. Ricardo Fajesto, the chip leader, bets $1,000,000 (it was an overbet from memory). Al Ardebili immediately says he's all-in. Fajesto takes about three minutes before making an unbelievable call with A-2, and has Ardebili, who flips up 2-3, dominated. The turn - a 3. Ardebilli starts running around like a jackass, hugging his wife and high-fiving his buddies. The turn is a blank, and Fajesto is crushed, after making such a great call. Next hand, he's all in with nothing, and it's done.

Yeah that was a brilliant call and that Ardebili was rather fortunate a lot of times. Those quad 4's (?) that he hit was bloody lucky too.

Playing with mates.

I was short stacked and was delt K-9 suited in a late position and I limped in.

The flop comes and I hit a straight off the flop Q-J-T.

I move all to get called by the chip leader who had T-A.

The flop comes and he hits the Ace and then he hits a T on the river to complete a full house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back