Toughest players in the 70s,80s and 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

The McLeans played for Ascot Vale - late 70's. I think Ricky was captain coach with Mick, Gary & a young (at the time) Cameron in the team.

Good bloke - Peter Owen, not sure if he tried the VFA but he was certainly a gun footballer in the EDFL and would have been a handy player for a team like Coburg or Brunswick in the mid 70's when both teams were playing finals.

Very passionate about his footy and was a good coach. George ended up coaching Strathmore to the 1984 premiership.

Talking V.F.A you carnt go past Sharpy and the Mcghie brothers at Yarraville.
Anyway E.D.F.L. mid 90"s tough guys -
Keilor - David "dippy" White
A.P.W - 1 of the jones brothers, number 15
And a fair few "dont know names" played for West Coburg "tough team especially at home" on that soccer ground.

Any one remember West Coburg V Craigieburn "i think" B grade Grand Final brawl when crowd, cop choppers and all were involved.
Or Greenvale V Keilor Park B grade Grand Final brawl
Or Avondale Heights V Keilor A grade Grand Final brawl , some tough 90's players in those brawls.

And a fair few "dont know names" played for West Coburg "tough team especially at home" on that soccer ground.

Any one remember West Coburg V Craigieburn "i think" B grade Grand Final brawl when crowd, cop choppers and all were involved.
Or Avondale Heights V Keilor A grade Grand Final brawl , some tough 90's players in those brawls.

Your interpretation of tough differs to mine-Mine=tough at the ball and I think yours means good at brawling(or uncourageous acts that may hurt someone who is not prepared) I think-If you do not mind I will give you a few examples of my perception of tough players at the highest level
Hird,Greig,Schimma,Peter Matera,Judd,Bartel,Goodes and many others unlike Balme,Matthews(tough but let himself down belting the guy from Geelong behind play) David King who performed poor effort in the 1996 GF and got away with it and many others also-I follow North but he kind of skited about on the TV next day when obviously still under the influence-thinks he is tough because he came from Port

My opinion and anyone is entitled to one

Not a bad brawl Marby V Hadfield we a bloke knock Zaraffa out behind play the next 10 minutes was a stream of Hadfield players going off the ground and to the hospital!

Also remember an under 18 final at Marby when they had to call the cops cause the Ascotvale 18s were waiting to get at what was left of the Glenroy 18s after they sent a few to hospital.

Not a bad brawl Marby V Hadfield we a bloke knock Zaraffa out behind play the next 10 minutes was a stream of Hadfield players going off the ground and to the hospital!

I remember that fight

Played at haddy till I was 19 was during the bad times when haddy would barely win 2 games for the year... Saw a lot of fights durin my time at haddy

I remember that fight

Played at haddy till I was 19 was during the bad times when haddy would barely win 2 games for the year... Saw a lot of fights durin my time at haddy

i played in that game, disguisting spectacle. Unfortunately wrong guy targetted as the culprit and 2 or 3 brawls followed with plenty of kicking and cheap king hits thrown from behind, if there was not 2 sixteen year old kids umpiring who had little to no control it would of been called off. From memory haddy ended up with no bench and 4 injured players taking up the full forward line and one of the flanks. Not a lot of toughness witnessed that day, more dirty!

Was maybe Russell Jones i think ?
Another tough APW bloke who was as tough as they come was Mark Wills..... fight like 10 men that bloke

The McLeans played for Ascot Vale - late 70's. I think Ricky was captain coach with Mick, Gary & a young (at the time) Cameron in the team.

Good bloke - Peter Owen, not sure if he tried the VFA but he was certainly a gun footballer in the EDFL and would have been a handy player for a team like Coburg or Brunswick in the mid 70's when both teams were playing finals.

Very passionate about his footy and was a good coach. George ended up coaching Strathmore to the 1984 premiership.

You forgot the most under rated McLean brother in John who played in a premiership side in 1976 at Ascot Vale

Linny was a tough man, he was my coach back in 94 and 95. back to back flags, quite a few punch on's I remember as well.

Should have played VFL not VFA-Has the best record of player/coach ever in EDFL getting paid very little and his players got no pay at all when I was there and won 5 in a row

I'll tell you who was a tough and fair player, big Andrew Tarczon, Avondale Heights in the 70's

He made his team mates grow a few inches when they were playing along side him !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toddy Johnson & Adrian 'Curly' Bajric come to mind as hard nuts who never took a backwards step.

Bloke called Steve Smith, think he started his career at Airport West then moved to Doutta Stars, saw him one day knock R. Mclean out from Ascot Vale then pull a sausage roll out of his right sock and yell out to the runner for sauce whilst standing over the fallen.

Bloke called Steve Smith, think he started his career at Airport West then moved to Doutta Stars, saw him one day knock R. Mclean out from Ascot Vale then pull a sausage roll out of his right sock and yell out to the runner for sauce whilst standing over the fallen.

Now Smithy only eats KFC

What about a forgoten club of the past. Brunswick City? Many current teams of the EDFL feared playing Brunsick City.. Surly some tough bloke come out of that neck of the woods

What about a forgoten club of the past. Brunswick City? Many current teams of the EDFL feared playing Brunsick City.. Surly some tough bloke come out of that neck of the woods

Yeah Brunswick City were a rough club, I remember playing in a praccy game in under 16's must have been around '85 , they had a lot of the lebo blokes that looked about 25 and I'm sure a few of them probably were, it was a night game at their old ground at albion st, they punched the absolute suitcase out of us, lots of behind the play cheap shots , one of our guys copped a broken jaw. I remember lining up in the forward line and hearing all this screaming, saw a near naked woman run across the ground in hot pursuit by this real overweight dodgy looking character, she was screaming for help like her life depended on it and ended up in the arms of our runner ... aaahhh those were good days :)

Wescombes from glenroy.... They had a reputation

there was alot of talent at glenroy at some stage over all its years
& most of there o'l school players spent countless hours in the boxing gym
if u couldnt fight u couldnt play funny to know that

The Airport West team of the late 80's had Andy Wilson, Steve Wilson, Marcus Wills, Russell Jones and Craig Jones. Not too many teams beat them in a fight !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back