Training 5 January

Remove this Banner Ad

waldo48

Debutant
Oct 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
:cool:Popped into training this morning for the first time in a couple of years.

The thing that struck me was the relaxed nature and harmony in the group. Everyone seems to be getting on very well. I wasn't too worried about some mistakes as this was the first run after Xmas.

Also, I spoke to one of the trainers watching the training and asked him about Hartlett. He said there were no major problems and that Hartlett should be back in full training in 2 weeks. Adam was doing weights today and his injury was only a minor cartlidge problem. The Trainer was a bit of a rap for Hartlett and I got the impression that everyone is hoping that he can get an extended run this year because they see him as part of the future.

Finally, 2 things stood out for me. First Gibbs looks sensational and the way he moves he looks a lot like Nathan Buckley in 1993/94. He is going to be something really special.

Second point, and I know that some people have had a bit of a crack at Yarran but, watch him grow as he fits into the Club. He is never going to win a time trial but I guarantee you he will be something special. Just watching him move in training he sometimes looks like he is going up and down on the spot, but he never gets caught. He looks very much like a young version of Shaun Burgoyne. He definitely has the footy smarts and just wait until he gets a full season or 2 of training and games into him. I think we have got a ripper in this one.

This year may not bring us the big prize but, 2010 could well be the year when we hear " We are the old dark navy blues......." blasting out over the MCG about 5.00pm on that last day in September. We are on the way again!!!!!:):)

Great post mate,
Good to hear from a supporter on his opinion. Especially when I am in America and can't go down to see any of it, it helps alot!

thanks again

How often would you drop-in on a Monday morning to watch training...

...from WA? :D

Was watching some highlights of Yarran and he definitely is very quick. He seems to have a lot of time as well and his kicking looks very silky. Even his vision is top quality, we did very very well getting him a #6. Has a lot of tricks in his bag as well and he looks like it would be able to slot right into the first team. Who else is surprised we got O'Keeffe? Heard a few big wraps on this kid.

I popped down to training a few weeks before xmas and noticed a really good vibe around the place, even comapred to earlier in the season.The biggest things i noticed was every single Carlton person looked really happy, and all teh players looked really hungry!

I took a close look at Yarran and this kid will be a star, looked ready made for AFL...he will slot straight in.The balance and natural footy ability was very evident by watching him.As for fitness the guy has just had ankle problems(so i dare say would not of done much running since he played last) and has just come from WAFL which level of training would be no where near that of an AFL club,so i cant see why people are concerned about him coming last in a time trial.I can imagine thats what the club will work on most with him now is getting his fitness up.

Mitch Robinson looks very good too:thumbsu:

I popped down to training a few weeks before xmas and noticed a really good vibe around the place, even comapred to earlier in the season.The biggest things i noticed was every single Carlton person looked really happy, and all teh players looked really hungry!

I took a close look at Yarran and this kid will be a star, looked ready made for AFL...he will slot straight in.The balance and natural footy ability was very evident by watching him.As for fitness the guy has just had ankle problems(so i dare say would not of done much running since he played last) and has just come from WAFL which level of training would be no where near that of an AFL club,so i cant see why people are concerned about him coming last in a time trial.I can imagine thats what the club will work on most with him now is getting his fitness up.

Mitch Robinson looks very good too:thumbsu:

Cheers, Spirit. Any more on Mitch? Just has me genuinely excited. :thumbsu:

Was watching some highlights of Yarran and he definitely is very quick. He seems to have a lot of time as well and his kicking looks very silky. Even his vision is top quality, we did very very well getting him a #6. Has a lot of tricks in his bag as well and he looks like it would be able to slot right into the first team. Who else is surprised we got O'Keeffe? Heard a few big wraps on this kid.

I was shocked that O'Keefe fell to 65 as well. Maybe other clubs saw him as a little slow, or being someone that might only play accross half back. However, I see someone with an elite left foot, that will most likely play accross HB, and that could excel now that he is in an AFL environment.

It does not surprise me about Gibbs looking like Buckley.
From the first time I saw the lad that was exactly who he reminded me of.
Not quite as arrogant as the young Buckley, but a similar self assurance.

That is what I love about our young guys.
Boys like Murphy, Kreuzer, Grigg, Bower, Hampson, Jamison, Robinson, Browne, Armfield etc. all have good heads on thier shoulders.

As an aside, Buckley debuted as a 21 year old.

Gibbs is currently 19 years old. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best bet's to ring the club direct, RocketMan.

Stewie's tribute

[YOUTUBE]ehs2HjmAeEk[/YOUTUBE]

On that note I think I might have to bid you all farewell for a while, not sure what internet access I'll have for the next few weeks.

Tigs, you got things covered? :thumbsu:

Training 5 January

Remove this Banner Ad

Back