Bumped Travis Boak Revisited

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listening to Travis being interviewed on AFL360. He confirmed he stayed at Power for "the same money" that Geelong offered. Whether true or not doesn't matter.

Imagine if we'd snared Travis and had him in our midfield this year. He has lifted his game at Power to a new level.

I'm happy with Josh Caddy but recognise he is a longer term project.

I'm happy Boak stayed at Port, it's good for the game.

I'll join the chorus here and agree with you SJ
Makes port a stronger side, which is good for the comp. A good player and a good leader
Frees up some money for us which maybe allowed the acquisition of Hmac, still not sure if this is a good thing.
Certainly alllowed us to pick up Caddy which will prove to be a very good thing for us
Part of his development is that port needed him to grow for the sake of his team
Would he have developed at the same rate with us? Don't know but there would not have been the same need
They say in Martial arts that after a certain level you learn more as a teacher than as a student
I think this may also be true for Footy
Boak may be a better player for remaining were he has been so needed
Ablett to may have benefited from going were he really was needed
A captain helps set the tone and culture of a club
Being captain has probably helped Selwood grow, and Boak
All of this is supposition
Would have been happy to have him but I think we are travelling ok without him
I wonder if the Australian Cricket team would be interested in Boak they could certainly use a leader at this point
7/114

I'll join the chorus here and agree with you SJ
Makes port a stronger side, which is good for the comp. A good player and a good leader
Frees up some money for us which maybe allowed the acquisition of Hmac, still not sure if this is a good thing.
Certainly alllowed us to pick up Caddy which will prove to be a very good thing for us
Part of his development is that port needed him to grow for the sake of his team
Would he have developed at the same rate with us? Don't know but there would not have been the same need
They say in Martial arts that after a certain level you learn more as a teacher than as a student
I think this may also be true for Footy
Boak may be a better player for remaining were he has been so needed
Ablett to may have benefited from going were he really was needed
A captain helps set the tone and culture of a club
Being captain has probably helped Selwood grow, and Boak
All of this is supposition
Would have been happy to have him but I think we are travelling ok without him
I wonder if the Australian Cricket team would be interested in Boak they could certainly use a leader at this point
7/114

Patience grasshopper ;)

Patience has yielded us Ashton AGAR!!!

Get ya hand off it! My club >>> Interests of the game. I think port would have done just fine without him. Clubs go up and down. Its the way it is. This isn't a charity.

I'm noticing a trend with Geelong supporters. We are easily forgetting the days in which we weren't so lucky to be as successful and a genuine premiership contender every year. People are dismissing the likes of Chapman etc for the kids and building the future. I obviously think that is neccesary to an extent but we have an opportunity to win another flag here, lets take it! Boak certainly would have helped us in that quest.

I couldn't give a flying f*ck about the PAFC. I'm sure they wont when we are struggling again...

I don't believe him.

What kind of moron would choose a perennial failure of a club that poort has being for last few years over moving to any successful club for the same money, not just Geelong?

I don't believe him.

What kind of moron would choose a perennial failure of a club that poort has being for last few years over moving to any successful club for the same money, not just Geelong?
I'm sure some Geelong players were chased up until the end of 2006. Probably that type of moron.

I don't remember Geelong plunging to the same embarrassing depths poort has since 2007. And to think Boak has roots in Geelong, goodness gracious he better have a serious gf that's from Adelaide or else he has rocks in his head.

I'm sure some Geelong players were chased up until the end of 2006. Probably that type of moron.

Andrew Mackie was in fact offered a massive contract by Port at the end of 2006. Stayed loyal. Paid off.

I don't remember Geelong plunging to the same embarrassing depths poort has since 2007. And to think Boak has roots in Geelong, goodness gracious he better have a serious gf that's from Adelaide or else he has rocks in his head.
Maybe not. But it is entirely possible that Port may win a flag in the next five years and Geelong may not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe not. But it is entirely possible that Port may win a flag in the next five years and Geelong may not.

Of course another alternative may also be true.
It is entirely possible that Geelong may win a Premiership in the next five years and Port may not.

Is it possible for Port to become a stable , financial secure club in the next 5 years. Yes. If Adelaide oval works for them etc but I'd prefer to go with a more certain possibility ie us still being a strong financially secure club and perhaps being more so.

I don't believe him.

So let me get this straight, you think Boak is a moron for being loyal to his mates, but Ablett is a judas for taking a better offer?

Boak would have been a great acquisition but we wouldn't have Caddy obviously. In the long run I'm happier with Caddy as I think we will get more value if he keeps developing the way he's going.

Is it possible for Port to become a stable , financial secure club in the next 5 years. Yes. If Adelaide oval works for them etc but I'd prefer to go with a more certain possibility ie us still being a strong financially secure club and perhaps being more so.
As long as Port are competitve on the field then I certainly think so. They have a massive supporter base and their membership hit 40k for the first time this year which isn't far behind us. The stadium deal is the biggest thing as you said, but we really are in a fortunate position having our own ground and essentially our own stadium deal. If Port stayed at Alberton hypothetically, then over time upgraded their oval to the point where KP is right now, it's quite possible that they'd be a lot more financially secure.

Wish Danger came instead. Even though I don't think he ever really considered coming back to Vic...
He had threatened to leave if Neil Craig got sacked back in 2011. He had a great relationship with Craigy. Craig was eventually stood down, and Danger hung around long enough for Sando to convince him it wasn't all doom and gloom with a new coach. If Sando wasn't such an awesome bloke, perhaps Patty may have decided to leave the Crows. Now Sando and Danger have a great relationship and there's persistent strong rumours around Adelaide that Danger will be captain next year. He won't be going anywhere I don't think, he strikes me as an honest and loyal bloke.

AFL lost its innocence when free agency came in. Expansion clubs made a mockery of equalisation and in the process enabled players like Ablett access to ridiculous contract offers too good to refuse. Vlad's careful orchestration of an absurdly large AFL funded salary cap for the expansion clubs to poach players like Ablett, and perhaps Franklin at the end of this year is utterly shameful. I could see Vlad sitting there in his office with the GC bosses back in 2010 saying "I'm going to make him (Ablett) an offer he can't refuse" Marlon Brando style. It's refreshing to see some players value loyalty above all else. Either that, or Travis really did get a lot more dollars at Port and is just talking porkies.

I felt Caddy would be great for us well before last week's effort. He needs to continue to learn and develop, in time I think he'll be a long time player, or at least I hope.

That said it was Dangerfield I wanted, for the most part and excluding tonight's game, he's been amazing this season. Surely he must regret his decision, the Crows are going nowhere for a long time.

So let me get this straight, you think Boak is a moron for being loyal to his mates, but Ablett is a judas for taking a better offer?

I guess everyone has their own outlook on life. It's the reason why I can't hate Diesel and Colbert for leaving Geelong under their specific circumstances.

Colbert left because Geelong in the late 90s was a basketcase and was also mistreated/whiteanted by jealous petty senior players, making his position at the club untenable. It hurt to see him leave but he had every right to do so. You could file Justin Murphy under this category as well I suppose.

Diesel played in a period that Geelong was also not in strong financial position and his pay demands were not unreasonable (not X20 times the average AFL salary paid for by the corrupt dimwit). Again it was disappointing to see him leave but completely understandable.

For mine playing in a perennial underachieving mediocre side (i.e. Melbourne, Richmond etc..) is as good excuse as any for a player to piss off regardless what supporters of that particular club have to say about their 'treachery'. The atmosphere around that type of club would be toxic and soul destroying, not to mention the many careers that have gone down toilet because of their failure to develop their talent to an adequate standard. It's why Rivers and Caddy made a bee line for Geelong and if the roles were reversed I wouldn't hold it against any Geelong player for deciding to leave either.

In stark contrast Ablett left the most successful club in the modern era that had gifted him multiple Premierships (yes the club not the other way around) and many other accolades that affords him things that the majority of the population will never experience all for a few more pieces of silver.

It didn't appear he was treated badly at the club other than the gullible nuffies who still believe Thompson had something to do with his decision which was made a long time before Bomba tried to coerce the truth from the little lying bald money grubber.

He was not financially taken advantage of (again another excuse that his fanbois use for his defection) by Geelong, in fact his was paid overs in his first contracts given his unique family history with the club.

So bearing all that in mind I wish that Ablett finishes his career never getting to play in September ever again. He made his bed by choosing ill gotten lucre over what most kids dream of and should now be content to lie in it.

I felt Caddy would be great for us well before last week's effort. He needs to continue to learn and develop, in time I think he'll be a long time player, or at least I hope.

That said it was Dangerfield I wanted, for the most part and excluding tonight's game, he's been amazing this season. Surely he must regret his decision, the Crows are going nowhere for a long time.

To be fair to Danger I don't think anyone could have predicted the s**t storm that has hit the crows since the end of last year... granted some is there own fault but they went from being a kick or so out of a grand final to having Tippett walk out and then the salary cap drama that came out.. the loss of draft picks.. and then Tex doing his knee..

Not sure he would regret it because it's not like you could see all those things coming

. It hurt to see him leave but he had every right to do so. You could file Justin Murphy under this category as well I suppose.

Murphy left because he was a tool who all the players hated and was told so. And throw in the fact that Scarlo did everyone a favour and punched him as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back