Past Tyrone Leonardis - delisted 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a great story B3. Thanks for sharing it mate. :thumbsu:

Completely agree, I think we all need to move on from that Goodes thing. Mistakes happen. Particularly in our teenage years.

The mistake doesn't deem the character of the person, their response does.

While I admit to being dissappointed with what I've seen from him on the field personally I still hope he proves me wrong & I wish him all the best doing so.

I still make error in my dotage.

Great yarn about Tyrone's dad. All the best to the kid. He will make good coin in the VFL or on another AFL list if he is picked up. As I said elsewhere he showed real glimpses in the Ressies GF.

I remember reading that when it first came out and it put the Facebook furore into context for me.

A little story.

We played Collingwood in Rd 1 of 2016, SCG night game. The ressies played at Blacktown earlier in the day and I was watching the game with grimlock and there were a couple of older blokes a few rows down in Collingwood gear, which I thought was a bit unusual all the way out in Blacktown.

After the game, one of the guys came up to us and introduced himself, it was Leo Leonardis, Tyrone's dad. We had a bit of a chat and he was keen to know how Tyrone had been going in the earlier trials. He seemed a terrific knockabout sort of bloke and actually fit the Collingwood stereotype reasonably well if you know what I mean...lol.

Fast forward to the ressies GF at Blacktown 6 months later and Leo is sitting a few rows in front, this time with a swans scarf, no doubt proudly watching his son in the most important game of his life to that point.

Tyrone goes down in the 3rd quarter and is helped back to the bench with what looked like a very serious knee injury. Poor Leo looked totally gutted and I don't mind admitting, I started to feel quite emotional for the poor bugger.

Tyrone may get delisted and never see an AFL list again, but I've long forgiven him for the immature teenage gaff on Facebook and I reckon Goodes has as well. He's overcome more than his share of hurdles in life as a young bloke.

I wish him all the best...
Great read. Out of interest what hurdles has he overcome besides liking a page on FB and an injury? Anything else I don't know about?

Great read. Out of interest what hurdles has he overcome besides liking a page on FB and an injury? Anything else I don't know about?

Read the article posted by SSwans2011 about 10 posts back.

In short, he was born 10 weeks premmy and barely lived, has had learning disabilities his whole life and was bullied as a result. The list goes on...

Like all developing players that don't quite make the grade, there's aspects of his game that are good, and there's some that aren't so good.

I'll leave it to LukeParkerno1 to list those, he certainly knows more about Tyrone.

He's done well for himself, got pretty close to a debut in the AFL but will probably be delisted at the end of the season. Who knows, might get another season as a rookie if the Swans want to keep him on as back-up depth. Can certainly play state level, so even if the Swans cut him and don't pick him back up, he can make a decent career in the VFL.

Certainly better than some of the others that'll get cut by clubs this year.

Read the article posted by SSwans2011 about 10 posts back.

In short, he was born 10 weeks premmy and barely lived, has had learning disabilities his whole life and was bullied as a result. The list goes on...
Will do, interesting.

Peaked after one season?

What?
This is the usual garbage that gets thrown around at draft times - bigger bodied players have less upside. Whereas skinny players will dominate once they put on some size.

I can verify TripleB's story. I've also bumped into Tyrone's dad outside the SCG while waiting to get in for a NEAFL game.

One thing he told me about Tyrone's style of play was that he loved shrugging would be tacklers, and while we saw a bit of that in his early games it seems to have been coached out of him this year. Switching him to play as a forward was his death knell, his main weapons being his ball carrying ability and long kicking, these were wasted up forward where he became a pretty average player in that position.

I still can't get over the fact his dad is named Leo. Leo Leonardis. Great sense of humour Tyrone's grandparents.

This is the usual garbage that gets thrown around at draft times - bigger bodied players have less upside. Whereas skinny players will dominate once they put on some size.
That was apparently one reason why Parker slipped down the draft when we got him. Recruiters thought he wouldn't be so dominant once he came up against bigger bodies in the AFL (and they didn't rate his kicking). We know how that turned out!

That was apparently one reason why Parker slipped down the draft when we got him. Recruiters thought he wouldn't be so dominant once he came up against bigger bodies in the AFL (and they didn't rate his kicking). We know how that turned out!

they were right about his kicking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His younger brother is better. Aim for him.
What is happening with him? He must be due for drafting next year? Is there any inside info on him guys? I would assume that he would be hesitant about moving to Sydney if his brother was.

Shame he didn't make it with us. Got off on the wrong foot & unfortunately never recovered.

From my point of view he needs to lift his teamwork & work off the ball & also the sharing aspect. Just seemed a bit "me, me, me". Not his fault if that's how he'd been trained from early on. Very hard to change the natural instinct. But hope he gets picked up & has a crack elsewhere.

Good luck to him.

I can verify TripleB's story. I've also bumped into Tyrone's dad outside the SCG while waiting to get in for a NEAFL game.

One thing he told me about Tyrone's style of play was that he loved shrugging would be tacklers, and while we saw a bit of that in his early games it seems to have been coached out of him this year. Switching him to play as a forward was his death knell, his main weapons being his ball carrying ability and long kicking, these were wasted up forward where he became a pretty average player in that position.

I still can't get over the fact his dad is named Leo. Leo Leonardis. Great sense of humour Tyrone's grandparents.
Any idea why the club and Shaw did that? Surely the goal of the reserves is development of our youth and playing players out of position, for team balance isn't something that we should be doing?

Any idea why the club and Shaw did that? Surely the goal of the reserves is development of our youth and playing players out of position, for team balance isn't something that we should be doing?
They basically swapped Murray and Leonardis’s positions and Murray has been very good in the backline

This is a big call, but I think Josh Dunkley's career has been better than Tyrone's

Ridiculous call. How many NEAFL GFs has Dunkley played in? I rest my case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back