F/D

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Sep 18, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Ed Lower - Freak Boy
I am going to play U/19's footy next year and just want some advice on the tempo and strength etc etc

I weigh 65 kgs and want to know, I play wing and use my running ability, how much would be the appropiate weight I would need...roughly...Im looking at 70kgs ATM but I dunno...

IS strength overrated in the U/19's league? do I need it?

Thanks in advance.

If you have aspirations of eventually playing senior football, hit the weights NOW. You will regret it in two years time when you step in and get your ass beat on every week. Assuming you're about 175cm and 65kg, if you aim to be 70 by the start of next season, 75 by the time you are top age U/19 and then 80kg when you step into senior football you should be able to handle yourself pretty well.

Stick to lifting such as Squats, Bench, Rows, Deadlifts, Pullups. That way you should increase your athleticism while improving of course size and strength. Do NOT neglect your legs, it is the biggest myth that big, strong legs make you slower and less mobile. If trained correctly (i.e with speed and agility work) you will become quicker and more agile with bigger stronger legs. Look at guys like Chris Johnson. Slow? Immobile? I don't think so. Granted you will have to work harder on things that came easy before, like your endurance, but trust me, it will be worth it and more.

Mikes4 said:
If you have aspirations of eventually playing senior football, hit the weights NOW. You will regret it in two years time when you step in and get your ass beat on every week. Assuming you're about 175cm and 65kg, if you aim to be 70 by the start of next season, 75 by the time you are top age U/19 and then 80kg when you step into senior football you should be able to handle yourself pretty well.

Stick to lifting such as Squats, Bench, Rows, Deadlifts, Pullups. That way you should increase your athleticism while improving of course size and strength. Do NOT neglect your legs, it is the biggest myth that big, strong legs make you slower and less mobile. If trained correctly (i.e with speed and agility work) you will become quicker and more agile with bigger stronger legs. Look at guys like Chris Johnson. Slow? Immobile? I don't think so. Granted you will have to work harder on things that came easy before, like your endurance, but trust me, it will be worth it and more.

Mike is right about senior football, you have to be a decent size. But for u/19's, strength is overrated. I played in division one 19's as a under 17's player, i didn't find the physical or speed side of it much different to what im use to.

stmookeyj said:
You're lucky. I had to step straight virtually from my 1st year of Under 17 football into Reserve football at 16 and into a handful of senior appearances at 17.

In which League?

Under 17's to 19's isnt that big a step really. 19's to seniors is a much much bigger leap. Assuming you play in a decent league, you'd wanna be at least high 70's, or else ********ing quick!!

I played U18s this year as a bottom aged player. Im around 180 cm and around 70kg so im abit skinny. You don't really need to be huge to make a go of it, just be willing to put your head over the ball and take a few hits from the bigger blokes. The step up from U16's wa that it was faster, alot bigger bodies gettin around and more physical. I played a game in the 2's this year and it's not that hard, it's faster and bit more physical.

started playing seniors at only 15 and my weight was 71kg just turned 16 and i weigh 77kg already consider my size is only 173cm. though have been hitting hard though so trust wit a good balance of food and some gym sessions you will put on some muscle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back